Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

enumbs
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by enumbs »

I hadn't seen the EW quote before posting above. It's true that the last couple of sentences are quite specific.

"I have no new film coming out. That's a total rumor. So there you are. It is not happening. I don't have a project. I have nothing at Cannes. It's unfortunate. It got built up that people thought, "Oh, that'd be nice." But there is something new, but it's not mine. I don't know whose it is. They say there's something new at Cannes, and they don't say whose it is, and some people thought it was my film, but it's not. So we'll wait and see, and see whose it is."

If I were to believe Lynch here, I'd conclude that he's talking about Dunham's 'The Happy Worker' as that would account for the mix-up. I can't help but remember his and Frost's similar denials in 2014 however, and continue to hold out hope.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

Oh my god I hadn't even stopped to consider the implication of what he was saying in the last few sentences.

How bizarre! What does that even mean?
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

This might be the second time we've been cockblocked by 'The Happy Worker'.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

enumbs wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:18 pm This might be the second time we've been cockblocked by 'The Happy Worker'.
There's been confusion about that going back all the way to its inception because of Lynch's exec credit on it. Good (although obviously incredibly disappointing!) suggestion. Doesn't explain the Laura Dern namechecks though?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I sincerely doubt The Happy Worker would be submitted to Cannes.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

As much as I playfully belittle Agent Earle from time to time, his skepticism is often warranted.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I consider Variety a reputable source, so I was getting ready to eat my words and post a meme of Hopper from Stranger Things saying "it was all true" on thursday...

but reading that paragraph in Entertainment Weekly, geez..

Lynch lying 2 days/ 48 hrs before he has to go into hype/PR mode for a new film.. I dunno.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Shame on Variety for posting that article when they're considered so reputable and seldom wrong. I had some concerns about the title of the article being "predictions" - that gave me some pause, as did the two sources which I suspected might be the two we saw on twitter/worldofreel. But everyone was saying Variety is reputable and this is pretty much confirmed that I decided to believe it.

How appropriate - in a darkly ironic and very disappointing way - that this forum will go out like this now instead of on the happy ending/high of a new Lynch project to transfer across to the new forum. But it is apt considering all the rumours we've had on here that have led to nothing. Unless Lynch is just trying to avoid them outscooping his scoop but why bother doing that two days beforehand?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Is hype/PR a mode that exists for him? Haha.
Yeah, I don't know, this is looking pretty rough.
I'll see you in the trees
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

FWIW I'm pretty much in agreement with fatecolossal's assessment:
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, I think hype/PR mode is a big thing with Lynch, he went on The Tonight Show for years, he doggedly promoted TM for a decade plus with appearances all over the globe, he does tons of interviews and press to promote all his stuff, be it film, selling music albums, art shows. He's not Terrance Mallick completely withdrawn hermit.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Just to clarify on one of those points by Fatecolossal, you cannot withdraw a film from Cannes once it has been selected.

Personally, I'm relatively relaxed right now. Esp after reading the "who knows let's see" part of Lynch's quote.

Sabrina's insta story has reassured me even more.
Last edited by Histeria on Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

ESTOY CANSADO, DAVID, MI CORAZÓN VA A EXPLotar. Sorry for saying this in my language but I'm to tired to think in english right now. Please, David, be clement and don't play with our sentimientos, the constant in and out is killing us.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I think Afta said "guess again" after someone guessed Lynch, which made me think, oh it's not Lynch, but then it was.

so I guess it's possible Lynch is being coy with "who knows. lets see"

Other than Kaleem Afta, who else is saying there is a 'surprise' film at cannes ? DL does acknowledge there is some secret surprise film at least.