Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by N. Needleman »

underthefan wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:50 pm David Lynch often works with the same actors so I wouldn't necessarily think that means this is TP-related. Fate collosal was just re-posting this clip of MacLachlan and Seyfried on The Kelly Clarkson show and it's really curious when he mentions how TP was "the FIRST time they worked together" and that she was at a party at his house.
It's absolutely true that some actors from the Lynch repertory group definitely =/= Twin Peaks. (Lynch actors largely only known for doing TP with him might be another story, as I've said.) But Kyle is not above lying or obfuscating about this. Not to say I think this is definitely TP because I don't, but you can't tell anything from that. The handful of existing cast that knew about S3 ahead of the official announcement dummied up in public for a long stretch. There's no way to know anything yet.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Ickles »

enumbs wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:49 pm
Dougie Cooper wrote:
N. Needleman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:13 pm

How does this make any sense?
What I had in mind was that Carrie Page would be front and center in the next Lynch project, which would necessitate Lee as the star (not to mention Kyle in some capacity).

That Dern is a part of it (as Dianne, or Linda) might be expected as well, I just wouldn't assume Dern's role would be prominent over others as the star of the film.

So if Variety is accurate as quoted (a big IF), I would suspect this is something completely separate from the world of TP's. As I recall, Lynch did ask Dern to shave her head for a project he had in mind . . .
But the Variety quote says Dern is a cameo or supporting role, so surely this is compatible with your theory that Sheryl Lee will be the lead? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding.
The confusing part is that early in the article they have the comment about Dern with either "a cameo or supporting role" but later in the breakdown of the films it says "The feature could either be a standalone movie that the “Mulholland Drive” helmer shot under the radar or an extended pilot of his upcoming series “Wisteria” which is rumored to star Lynch regulars including Laura Dern and Naomi Watts."
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

enumbs wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:49 pm
Dougie Cooper wrote:
N. Needleman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:13 pm

How does this make any sense?
What I had in mind was that Carrie Page would be front and center in the next Lynch project, which would necessitate Lee as the star (not to mention Kyle in some capacity).

That Dern is a part of it (as Dianne, or Linda) might be expected as well, I just wouldn't assume Dern's role would be prominent over others as the star of the film.

So if Variety is accurate as quoted (a big IF), I would suspect this is something completely separate from the world of TP's. As I recall, Lynch did ask Dern to shave her head for a project he had in mind . . .
But the Variety quote says Dern is a cameo or supporting role, so surely this is compatible with your theory that Sheryl Lee will be the lead? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding.
The quote I'm reading in Variety is this: "Most surprisingly, according to two well-informed sources, there will even be a David Lynch feature film which has been completely off the radar and stars Laura Dern — either as a cameo or a supporting role — along with some other Lynch regulars."

So if it "stars" Dern, I'm not sure I understand how her appearance could equivocate to a "cameo or a supporting role." I might be off base here, but I don't think a film can "star" someone if they are only appearing as a cameo or supporting role. Could be I'm wrong on that. Anyway, that was my question.

To clarify my Sheryl Lee comment, in my mind I've always thought of the last TP episode as almost a pilot for the next phase of Twin Peaks and that if Lynch continued we'd get the "missing Page" story featuring Carrie Page (Sheryl Lee), Dale Cooper, and perhaps Dianne, along with other TP's regulars in modified roles. So it seemed to me if Dern was the "star" of the film, then that MIGHT imply it's not what I thought it would be, that is is something else entirely. The main thing I was getting at is that I expected to see a lot of Lee in the next project IF it was Twin Peaks related. Sorry for the confusing posts!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I presume the "starring" is a clumsy choice of words over anything else. To star in a film denotes star billing but may also connote mere presence in a film regardless of billing. The latter is more colloquial.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it edited sooner or later.
Last edited by Histeria on Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Interesting.
Attachments
C0AAE724-8461-48B1-B0B6-971D540A19B6.jpeg
C0AAE724-8461-48B1-B0B6-971D540A19B6.jpeg (550.85 KiB) Viewed 22936 times
"Jade give two rides."
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Haha
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I think we are reading into the word "star" a bit too much. I'd just think of it as meaning they're rumored to act in the film in some capacity, not that they're necessarily the leads.

Also, in response to an earlier post, I don't think any Netflix project is going to Cannes, whether it's a film or TV. Cannes is boycotting the streamer, so I don't think they'd make an exception for TV. Of course, what could change that is a new film from someone like Lynch...but I don't believe it is with Netflix, anyway.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Not to be a Debbie Downer and I'm not sure who Jesse Hawken is or the legitimacy of their "friend" but given the timeline and hush hush nature of this I am highly skeptical that anybody has seen it yet. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not actually even finished in post production quite yet. Unless this really has been in the can for a while collecting dust but I was under the impression that it's probably something still being worked on up until Cannes given the nature of motion picture post production (color correcting, audio mix, etc.)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I think when they say 'stars', it just means she's in it, I wouldn't get hung up on the word.

But as long as we are discussing that, and maybe people more familiar with the industry can comment, but you can barely be in a movie and still be the 'star' for billing purposes.

The example from earlier days that comes to mind is Marlon Brando in Superman The Movie. He received top billing, was used to sell the movie to investors, but he certainly did not receive anywhere near top screen time.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:03 pm I think we are reading into the word "star" a bit too much. I'd just think of it as meaning they're rumored to act in the film in some capacity, not that they're necessarily the leads.

Also, in response to an earlier post, I don't think any Netflix project is going to Cannes, whether it's a film or TV. Cannes is boycotting the streamer, so I don't think they'd make an exception for TV. Of course, what could change that is a new film from someone like Lynch...but I don't believe it is with Netflix, anyway.
Hah, you were one step ahead of me!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:05 pm Not to be a Debbie Downer and I'm not sure who Jesse Hawken is or the legitimacy of their "friend" but given the timeline and hush hush nature of this I am highly skeptical that anybody has seen it yet. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if it's not actually even finished in post production quite yet. Unless this really has been in the can for a while collecting dust but I was under the impression that it's probably something still being worked on up until Cannes given the nature of motion picture post production (color correcting, audio mix, etc.)
You have to send your film when submitting it to festivals. Dozens of people have seen it.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

LateReg wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:03 pm I think we are reading into the word "star" a bit too much. I'd just think of it as meaning they're rumored to act in the film in some capacity, not that they're necessarily the leads.

Also from Variety's perspective Laura Dern is a much bigger name than Sheryl Lee (if turns out to be a Carrie Page follow up).
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Now when I was told way back the info about two Lynch projects in the works. It was specifically that UN/Wisteria was an original project done in an Inland Empire type style. Also that it was going to be a movie. So if that’s true, then the other tidbit was that he was doing Twin Peaks Season 4 after, we shall see!
"Jade give two rides."
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Histeria wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:01 pm I presume the "starring" is a clumsy choice of words over anything else. To star in a film denotes star billing but may also connote mere presence in a film regardless of billing. The latter is more colloquial.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it edited sooner or later.
Yeah, agreed with Histeria. When I use the word "stars," I don't necessarily mean it in the lead role, even though the dictionary definition does refer to it as the principal role.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

The Jesse Hawken tweet is a joke.