Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by N. Needleman »

Dougie Cooper wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:10 pm And if Dern is the star, does that imply a limited (or non-existent) role for Sheryl Lee?
How does this make any sense?
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by N. Needleman »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:03 pm Lynch saw the announcement about the Dugpa forum closing and said, "We better give these guys some good news."
Knowing them, they waited til we closed down lol. But hey, some of us sat on Janey-E's name (among other things) for close to a year out of respect.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

N. Needleman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:13 pm
Dougie Cooper wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:10 pm And if Dern is the star, does that imply a limited (or non-existent) role for Sheryl Lee?
What I had in mind was that Carrie Page would be front and center in the next Lynch project, which would necessitate Lee as the star (not to mention Kyle in some capacity).

That Dern is a part of it (as Dianne, or Linda) might be expected as well, I just wouldn't assume Dern's role would be prominent over others as the star of the film.

So if Variety is accurate as quoted (a big IF), I would suspect this is something completely separate from the world of TP's. As I recall, Lynch did ask Dern to shave her head for a project he had in mind . . .
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Dougie Cooper wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:19 pm What I had in mind was that Carrie Page would be front and center in the next Lynch project, which would necessitate Lee as the star (not to mention Kyle in some capacity).
What any of us had in mind for this project isn't relevant to the real thing, or whether those actors are in it. Most of us had no concept of what would be in Season 3. Even the few things that leaked out gave us no preparation. I may have liked the idea of a Carrie Page feature (if there wasn't any more actual Twin Peaks), but I have no assumption that if Lynch makes another film that that must therefore be it, or else there's no Sheryl Lee ever again.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I have a feeling it’s going to be a pilot for Wisteria and it’ll be the Carrie Page story. If Lara Flynn Boyle is in it she could very well be the Donna-equivalent in the Odessa world. I keep going back to this from the Criterion subreddit, I really think this is a tv show.

Edit: One if my biggest questions is who the hell is distributing it. Because if it’s Showtime then we know for sure it’s Twin Peaks. There’s no way they just release it on Lynch’s YouTube channel….right?
Attachments
B90CC8C5-7488-4C91-B8ED-7EC0627E2D94.jpeg
B90CC8C5-7488-4C91-B8ED-7EC0627E2D94.jpeg (412.11 KiB) Viewed 16612 times
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Dougie Cooper wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:10 pm So if Variety is accurate as quoted (a big IF)
Is it a big if? Isn't Variety highly reputable and very rarely wrong? How likely is it this could be wrong?

As for reporting Dern, I imagine that's the only person their source chose to share with them, only perhaps hinting at other regulars (which could encompass Sheryl Lee even if not named directly). They do mention could be a star or a cameo, indicating they're not sure which, and were perhaps told both - or are just covering their bases. That part sounds a little speculative but I imagine they wouldn't have reported this if their sources weren't incredibly strong.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Variety would not run this if it wasn't real.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Worth noting that Cannes has banned Netflix projects so this likely will have nothing to do with Netflix. My best guess is that Wisteria/UN was supposed to be a series at Netflix but the project fell through due to covid and now Lynch has turned it into a feature, similar as with MD. Twitter is exploding with rumors at the moment but I'm not putting much stock into any of it right now (though rumors of Seyfried as the lead seem to make sense). Personally I would LOVE to see Sheryl Lee in it but I have a feeling this project with not be TP-related (though it doesn't preclude her from having a role in it, of course).
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

underthefan wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:35 pm Worth noting that Cannes has banned Netflix projects so this likely will have nothing to do with Netflix. My best guess is that Wisteria/UN was supposed to be a series at Netflix but the project fell through due to covid and now Lynch has turned it into a feature, similar as with MD. Twitter is exploding with rumors at the moment but I'm not putting much stock into any of it right now (though rumors of Seyfried as the lead seem to make sense). Personally I would LOVE to see Sheryl Lee in it but I have a feeling this project with not be TP-related (though it doesn't preclude her from having a role in it, of course).
That's for theatrical films if I'm not mistaken. Due to exclusivity windows or the status of a film's theatrical release in France.

It doesn't apply to television. S3's first two episodes were screened there with no theatrical release.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

My first assumption is it is an original feature or pilot. I can't believe it's Peaks without a lot more. If it genuinely has a number of TP regulars (as in people other than Laura and Naomi), I am inclined to think it will be at least Peaks-adjacent. Either way, since 2017 I've never felt Lynch was done with TP, and I still don't. Whether this project is related or not doesn't change that for me.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Obviously we were all waiting for something like this, but the fact that there is apparently a project already “in the Cannes” (forgive me) is really too good to be true. I was fully expecting that we would have to wait at least a year and a half following any announcement, so today’s news really shows the benefits of Lynch’s secretive approach. It’s only a month away for a lucky few, and presumably streaming soon after for the rest of us - this really is the dream scenario!
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

Jonah wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:27 pm
Dougie Cooper wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:10 pm So if Variety is accurate as quoted (a big IF)
Is it a big if? Isn't Variety highly reputable and very rarely wrong? How likely is it this could be wrong?

As for reporting Dern, I imagine that's the only person their source chose to share with them, only perhaps hinting at other regulars (which could encompass Sheryl Lee even if not named directly). They do mention could be a star or a cameo, indicating they're not sure which, and were perhaps told both - or are just covering their bases. That part sounds a little speculative but I imagine they wouldn't have reported this if their sources weren't incredibly strong.
I don't question the veracity of Variety as far as the project is concerned, rather the idea that someone who is said to be the "star" would then be described as either in a supporting role or cameo. After that I only speculated on what it might imply for the film (and series?) if Dern WAS the star.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Dougie Cooper wrote:
N. Needleman wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:13 pm
What I had in mind was that Carrie Page would be front and center in the next Lynch project, which would necessitate Lee as the star (not to mention Kyle in some capacity).

That Dern is a part of it (as Dianne, or Linda) might be expected as well, I just wouldn't assume Dern's role would be prominent over others as the star of the film.

So if Variety is accurate as quoted (a big IF), I would suspect this is something completely separate from the world of TP's. As I recall, Lynch did ask Dern to shave her head for a project he had in mind . . .
But the Variety quote says Dern is a cameo or supporting role, so surely this is compatible with your theory that Sheryl Lee will be the lead? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Variety doesn't know anything for sure and neither do we. We can't operate on the assumption that this project is anything we've speculated about amongst ourselves.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

David Lynch often works with the same actors so I wouldn't necessarily think that means this is TP-related. Fate collosal was just re-posting this clip of MacLachlan and Seyfried on The Kelly Clarkson show and it's really curious when he mentions how TP was "the FIRST time they worked together" and that she was at a party at his house.