Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

Thanks Stavrogyn - that's nice of you. Jack, looks like you're not alone in your Michael Moore theories.
https://www.reddit.com/r/davidlynch/com ... moore_has/ - I have no idea. Not voting either way! Just happened to see that other people are discussing that possibility on a thread on reddit.

Speaking of reddit threads, did anyone else see the one (and I won't link to it here - it's on r/twinpeaks) where someone claimed they made up the rumour about extra footage Lynch shot for The Return that they feel is still being quoted years later? They apologised for it. I'm sure they weren't the only one theorizing that - but I think they claimed to work on The Return (don't quote me on that), something like that. Anyway, it just struck me as wow, I know we all say it, but just goes to prove, don't take leaks or what you see on reddit too seriously - it really could be someone just making stuff up. We all know this intuitively anyway, but was odd to see someone coming out admitting it and apologising for it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Ickles »

The latest reply from /canthaveit:
There was no action on Wisteria after pre-production. If it went to another studio, they would still have to re-sign the contracts under the production company and they would likely bring as much of the creative team back as possible. None of this happened. From what I've seen, there's zero likelihood this is Wisteria.

I suppose this could be something he shot and edited in his garage with no studio, union, or distributor involved but I find that unlikely too. Stop-motion requires animators. Animators are in a union.

I hope I'm wrong. Would love to see a new Lynch project. Seems incredibly unlikely to me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/comm ... l/i46wfzi/
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I agree that it definitely does seem unlikely (alas) but it's far from impossible. I'd also question why he mentions "no studio, union, or distributor involved". That implies he thinks he would've seen documents if that was the case but I thought he'd only see Netflix or other select documents? Surely he doesn't have access to all documents of all studios, unions, and distributors? Unless he just means he assumed it would have leaked. The rumours themselves could be the leaks.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I do wonder what their involvement level is. Based on their comments previously I had always assumed they worked for a permit office or for Netflix admin somewhere but perhaps it's more closely aligned to the production than we previously thought? Regardless, I'm still not entirely convinced they would have insight. If it's true that the advance leaks of the working title and production info annoyed Lynch and Co. than it would make sense that if it migrated elsewhere or morphed into something else they would work to make the production info more airtight and perhaps those contracts and documents wouldn't make it into the same hands they made it into the first time. Or they completely re-filed under a different working title/production company as if the original never existed? I don't know much about production contracts, especially in regards to unions so not sure how it all works.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

wow bob wow (which of you is the source? lol)

https://variety.com/2022/film/global/da ... 235229734/
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Thanks, guys! I love how welcoming people on this board have always been.

Gotta say this is an interesting development when even a source as huge as Variety is now reporting rumors of a new Lynch feature at Cannes:

https://variety.com/2022/film/global/da ... 235229734/
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

lol i came to check dugpa after reading variety only to see the news. what a roller coaster.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Wow! What an emotional rollercoaster of a way for this forum to go out!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

If Variety says Lynch directed Spider-Man 3 then it's probably true no matter how many times the credits list Raimi.

"Most surprisingly, according to two well-informed sources, there will even be a David Lynch feature film which has been completely off the radar and stars Laura Dern — either as a cameo or a supporting role — along with some other Lynch regulars."

"The feature could either be a standalone movie that the “Mulholland Drive” helmer shot under the radar or an extended pilot of his upcoming series “Wisteria” which is rumored to star Lynch regulars including Laura Dern and Naomi Watts."
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

i’m kind of freaking out?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

All I can say is:

Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Welp, guess I'm going to Cannes this year. Sorry, credit cards!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I've been trying to rustle up press accreditation since the original rumour. But they're being very picky this year. Asking for more recent clippings and even translations. I wasn't gonna bother chasing it further but now...
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

I'm actually going to be in Spain a couple of days before the festival starts for work so it's actually not that inconceivable to try and travel over to France for it. Not sure how insane festival passes/tickets run or if they are even available this late in the game but if there's a new Lynch film there I pretty much have to at least try.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Isn't this weird timing with the forum closing? Like one of the longest threads on here gets a happy ending. Years of speculation, then an announcement right before the forum shuts. You couldn't write it. (If you did, you'd be told it was too unrealistic.)