Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by JackwithOneEye »

enumbs - good digging. these are encouraging
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by JackwithOneEye »

LateReg wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:19 am Jack - I appreciate your reasoning and agree with the unlikelihood of Lynch having completed a major feature in total secrecy.
I also wonder about those 2007-> 2015 years between IE and TP TR, whether he shot anything for Anetelope Don't Run No More, as I posted yesterday.

that could fit the 'some don't think it exists' part of Aftab's tweet, if it's a project we've heard about for a long time, and assume there was no movement on,
maybe he been filming Antelope like Linklatter/ Boyhood with characters ageing, another bit of speculation.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:55 am
LateReg wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:19 am Jack - I appreciate your reasoning and agree with the unlikelihood of Lynch having completed a major feature in total secrecy.
I also wonder about those 2007-> 2015 years between IE and TP TR, whether he shot anything for Anetelope Don't Run No More, as I posted yesterday.

that could fit the 'some don't think it exists' part of Aftab's tweet, if it's a project we've heard about for a long time, and assume there was no movement on,
maybe he been filming Antelope like Linklatter/ Boyhood with characters ageing, another bit of speculation.
Good shout. The net may indeed be a lot wider than just the last year or so. And he has a litany of unrealised projects going back decades. One thing he mentioned a few years ago was Sabrina going through a box of old scripts. Or something to that effect.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Fun fact.

Apparently Spike Lee, secrets and Cannes don't go hand in hand.

Last year he was jury president and accidentally announced the Palme d'or winner way too early.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

FWIW: canthaveit, the user/"insider" who started all the Wisteria rumors on reddit in the first place, replied to a thread on r/criterion about the rumored Cannes Lynch film saying "Except he never shot any of it." Not sure how much they actually know as my assumption has always been they work in a film permit office somewhere or Netflix, so perhaps they are drawing that conclusion based on never seeing evidence Lynch shot anything in L.A. but as others have pointed out, there's private studios, his home studio, location stuff in WA, stuff shot pre-pandemic, etc. Unless the redditor is Lynch himself I don't know if I buy them being 100% certain he didn't shoot anything, even if it's true there's not some mystery Cannes film fully realized.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:46 am FWIW: canthaveit, the user/"insider" who started all the Wisteria rumors on reddit in the first place, replied to a thread on r/criterion about the rumored Cannes Lynch film saying "Except he never shot any of it." Not sure how much they actually know as my assumption has always been they work in a film permit office somewhere or Netflix, so perhaps they are drawing that conclusion based on never seeing evidence Lynch shot anything in L.A. but as others have pointed out, there's private studios, his home studio, location stuff in WA, stuff shot pre-pandemic, etc. Unless the redditor is Lynch himself I don't know if I buy them being 100% certain he didn't shoot anything, even if it's true there's not some mystery Cannes film fully realized.
He said he didn't shoot any of the project under the original contract with Netflix.

He also said separately to Fate Colossal he doesn't believe Lynch shot anything major in secret.

I'm not sure where you're getting that he is certain Lynch didn't shoot anything at all.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Just the way I interpreted this, I guess. Again, not trying to throw cold water on the optimism or anything, more sharing with the thread since some folks are interested in what canthaveit has to say.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:52 am Image

Just the way I interpreted this, I guess. Again, not trying to throw cold water on the optimism or anything, more sharing with the thread since some folks are interested in what canthaveit has to say.
I saw it. It's referring to the project under contract at Netflix. The person he's responding to said:

"Netflix apparently canned it, but a lot of people are already speculating whatever he’s showing at Cannes is gonna be a Mulholland Drive esque situation where he repurposed it into a movie"

"He never shot any of it" refers to there being nothing from that Netflix project that was left over to rustle up into a film in the way MD pilot footage was.

He's saying he knows none of thst Netflix project he reported on was actually shot at all (hence there's nothing to salvage). He hasn't said Lynch hasn't shot anything at all outside the specific Netflix deal. He probably wouldn't know if he had.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I'm very skeptical about the Cannes rumour, and if I had to bet, I wouldn't bet on a brand new David Lynch feature film premiering anytime soon; however, it's so much more fun to see this thread alive again and to speculate that even if nothing happens, it will still be worth it :)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Y'all are gonna need to find a new place for the next round of this, sadly.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

i think people are overlooking the one bit of information from the tweet that narrows down the list of possible directors most of all: "some even doubt [the movie] exists!"

the tweet says:
-one of the best american directors in history
-made two of that guy's favorite films
-made that guy's favorite tv series
-some people doubt that the movie exists!

the last bit of information is most intriguing of all but the first 3 points have been debated the most

as some have said, there have to be rumors of a movie's existence for there to be people that doubt that a movie exists. this is a really key bit of info because it rules out both movies that are confirmed to exist, and movies that are entirely unknown to the public as of now

i think we should move past that guy's preferences. what i want to know is: can anyone here bring up an an american film director who is considered truly great, made multiple signficant films and a tv show good enough to be worth mentioning, that ALSO has a notable rumored project that has not been confirmed?? i am not super into contemporary film right now so i'd be really curious to hear if there's anyone who meets the first 3 criteria who also meets the 4th, most unusual criterion
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

This is why I was saying I felt these latest rumours would be the last big hurrah we'd see on this thread, though for obvious reasons I could not say why. The forum should stay open long enough to coincide with the Cannes announcement so, given the sad news about the closure, let's hope these rumours do indeed turn out to be more Lynch, maybe even more Twin Peaks, as unlikely as both might seem. And let's make the most of the speculation while we still can.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

At the risk of being scolded and chided by Histeria with another 'Have you no Decency sir !" monologue speech - there is this from September 2021.
It says -

"Michael Moore is at it again. The renowned documentary filmmaker has been secretly working on a film that will tackle the partisan hysteria over COVID-19 in the United States."

see link -

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2021/9 ... 5k8c-OakPu
Last edited by JackwithOneEye on Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:48 pm Y'all are gonna need to find a new place for the next round of this, sadly.
In case anyone isn't seeing it:

Forum Closing April 15th, 2022

https://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4366

Jonah wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:20 pm ...
One last avatar switch, Jonah?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yes! I wanted something that kept the typewriter but had a touch of Twin Peaks - just a wisp, like our hopes that there may one day be more.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.