Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Agent Earle has spoken.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by LateReg »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:48 pm Agent Earle has spoken.
Close the thread. Push the plug.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Histeria wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:37 pm Most of the locations were sets. And those that weren't could easily be.
Not sure what you mean by that, but TR was mostly shot on location. Studio work was only one month out of the seven-month shoot. Most of the show was shot on practical locations, with a few significant exceptions like the Red Room and Truman’s office. The Pilot and FWWM were also almost entirely practical locations. Seasons 1 and 2 were obviously a different beast due to practical/financial concerns.

Certainly a potential new season could be shot entirely in the studio, might take place entirely in the Red Room or in a digitally created green screen world, or be completely set in Lynch’s bathroom. We have no idea what Lynch’s vision would be or if he’d even be interested in reusing any recognizable locations, and there is no way to know beyond speculation.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

It's also possible that this could be both a sequel to Twin Peaks and an Inland Empire style free associative head trip. TP can really be anything Lynch wants it to be now. Parallel realities and alternate selves have been invoked. It wouldn't necessarily be much tied to original locations.

If there was a bit of location shooting in Snoqualmie as was rumoured last year, that could be enough to tie this in with the town and the forest, and the rest could be...anything and anywhere.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

surprise.jpg
surprise.jpg (202.42 KiB) Viewed 7733 times

GIVE ME ALL YOUR HOPIUM!
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

The previous rumors and stirrings were leaving me increasingly cold, but now I feel something again. If this turns out to be BS, I'm going to be pretty mad, on top of disappointed.
Not a fan of twitter attention-whoring in any case. Even if it's true, wish the guy would've kept his mouth shut.

N. Needleman wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:38 am My fantasy is that it is a pandemic-shot Carrie Page solo feature.
Sheryl Lee's INLAND EMPIRE. Count me in.
I'll see you in the trees
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Another returner! Been lurking all the while, though. If this is indeed about Lynch, I'm ready for anything; even a talking monkey.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Cde. wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:29 pm
Soolsma wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:30 pm The good thing about this rumor is we'll find out if it's true in little more than a month. :D

Sure beats wondering if that HHM thing was true for.. what? 2 years?
Potentially less than a week, the line-up announcement is next Thursday. Although, Cannes sometimes have late additions.
Lynch seems like the type to go through extra, extra grounds to keep this is all top secret. And probably has the influence to do so. I mean, David Lynch is to Cannes like JJ Abrams (or insert any generic pop director here) is to Hollywood.
Last edited by Soolsma on Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

But.... How can I live with my curiosity if it only screens at Cannes. Gosh, I hope they immediately put it on netflix too.

if it's actually true I hope to enter as unspoiled as possible! (unlike I did for the return!)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

I was hoping that the rumours would be confirmed or dispelled by Thursday when the Cannes lineup is revealed, but there is apparently some precedent for surprise film announcements late in the day:

https://twitter.com/fatecolossal/status ... THhq2rGIFg
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by enumbs »

I’m curious how everyone would feel if there’s any truth to the idea that this is a condensed or salvaged version of what was originally planned to be a series. I know some people would have liked a more streamlined version of the Return, and it would obviously be good if Lynch managed to make something out of a deal that fell through, but the idea of Lynch scrapping hours of material in order to get the project off the ground is certainly bittersweet. It would certainly be different from the Mulholland Drive situation in that as far as we know Lynch had not written any further episodes for that series, but I suppose if this film felt as fully formed as that one then it would be hard to complain too much.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

enumbs wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:32 pm I’m curious how everyone would feel if there’s any truth to the idea that this is a condensed or salvaged version of what was originally planned to be a series. I know some people would have liked a more streamlined version of the Return, and it would obviously be good if Lynch managed to make something out of a deal that fell through, but the idea of Lynch scrapping hours of material in order to get the project off the ground is certainly bittersweet. It would certainly be different from the Mulholland Drive situation in that as far as we know Lynch had not written any further episodes for that series, but I suppose if this film felt as fully formed as that one then it would be hard to complain too much.
This exact thought crossed my mind, in a surprisingly positive manner. I feel that if he did scrap a larger idea to fit into a smaller package that he would not have done so without some epiphany of both wanting to do it that way and devising the best way to do it. I think it would be an exciting jolt.

As far as whether I'd prefer a film or series, or 2 hours vs. 10 plus hours, I suppose I would lean towards the latter, provided the big idea was there. But as far as which would make the greater work of art, there's no way of knowing. I can't imagine The Return being nearly as great if streamlined into something close to 2 hours, for example, as its unique success as I understand it is specifically tied to its length and scale. But Mulholland Drive is so intensely disorienting because of Lynch's brilliance in intuiting an ending. I guess we will have to wait and see what this thing actually is.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I really trust Lynch. He has a history of sitting on stuff til he gets the vision required to finish something. If it is somehow a digestion of more material, it won't be a compromise imo.

This could be as free wheeling as Eraserhead. Lots to get excited about!
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I mean if the project indeed fell through at Netflix and was continued by Lynch on his own then I presume the original Redditor tipster by FateColossal wouldn’t know what’s going with the project because it seemed as though their connection was with Netflix and contracts.

Edit: I think I’m more optimistic right now because of the fact that Sabrina and anyone from the LynchWorld hasn’t shut any of this down. The original WorldOfReel post also mentioned that he was emailing with multiple people and believes it’s Lynch. So he definitely heard it from more than one person.
"Jade give two rides."