Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:53 am Checking in, fellas. How for real are we this week?
Needleman: The Return!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by N. Needleman »

I never left. I simply walk among you discreetly, like the doppelganger.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Kingchatterbox, that is great info (about IE) and what I was looking for. Thank you.

Also, it's great to see some users back posting, many of whom haven't posted in a long time. Welcome back! (I noticed a few more members are back so editing this to make it more inclusive and no one feels left out lol.) Makes these rumours feel more "real" somehow.

I was saying to a friend - this feels to me like the last big hurrah of rumours. We've had so many that petered out into nothing. The board went very quiet for a long time after the last one - the last few weeks no one was posting on here. I have no idea if this one will also turn out not to be true, but I expect if it does, people will truly be over rumours at that point. This feels like the culmination of all the previous rumours - all those murmurs of "Wisteria" and "Unrecorded Night" - and in some ways more exciting than all the other ones too, just not sure if it will pan out. Of course, more rumours will emerge, but this just feels like the first big potential thing that could be true that we've heard since they started a couple of years ago. How are you all feeling in general about it?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

If I had a nickel for every time someone in this thread has made a grand unified theory, or simply off the cuff statement, on how this next event of the day/week/month is the be-all end-all of all rumors and will definitively prove that Twin Peaks will return or is gone for good, I'd be dead.

As I've said many times: I have no idea if TP will return. I have always suspected it will, for a number of reasons, but I don't know. I won't believe it's done until Lynch is dead. And for the record, I doubt that if Lynch is debuting something at Cannes that it is Twin Peaks-related, so that possible happening is not my metric.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have no idea if this is TP. I'm not saying if these latest rumours don't pan out it means Lynch will never make TP (that's unknowable) but I do feel this is the last big speculative period for this thread on the previous rumours about "Wisteria" and "Unrecorded Night". It really does feel like a sort of culmination to me.

Thinking Lynch shot an entire feature length film in secret that will premiere at Cannes does seem a little too good to be true, though. That's my only concern. It's possible - especially if it was shot in his home as I've said before with limited studio time - and I wouldn't put it past him. But we'll see.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by dustoff »

N. Needleman wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:52 am And for the record, I doubt that if Lynch is debuting something at Cannes that it is Twin Peaks-related, so that possible happening is not my metric.
Wouldn't be unprecedented...
https://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/david ... 201832359/
https://www.festival-cannes.com/en/film ... lk-with-me
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have seen that variation of the rumour being floated around too - that this is the "Wisteria"/"Unrecorded Night" pilot/feature-length first episode being debuted, later leading to a series. Possible but if so I highly doubt the rest of it has also been shot. I've also seen people say it's an original non-TP feature and that it's salvaged material from a cancelled Netflix show (MD-style). If it is Lynch, I wonder if the Cannes announcement will be suitably vague with everyone only finding out on the night what it actually is.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It's possible the Wisteria/UN pilot and salvaged feature are one and the same, like MD before it.

My fantasy is that it is a pandemic-shot Carrie Page solo feature. Doubt it, but a man can dream.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I've said many times - I'd love a Carrie Page version of FWWM and someone said that anniversary is coming up too. Seems like perfect timing, perhaps too perfect.

I'll be interested in anything Lynch produces even if it's not my cup of tea. Having said that, though, I still haven't watched "What Did Jack Do?" When I first heard these rumours, I expected it to be a shorter feature like that which I could see him doing in his own space. If it's feature-length, then... the mind boggles, could still be a very confined shoot, IE in style in some respects, or Rabbits but longer. I could see Laura Dern, Kyle, and Sheryl Lee being involved. Not sure about the others, though I still think those Wisteria posts on Twitter were worth paying attention to and someone posted that LFB quote too which I also felt was significant at the time.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

One thought I had re: folks not buying that Lynch could shoot an entire narrative feature film/TV pilot on the sly during the pandemic: it's possible whatever this is (again, if it exists at all) could be a lot more experimental/abstract than folks might be imagining. It could even be animated, or shot like "Rabbits", etc. That would lend itself to not needing a big crew, studio, etc. And would allow for frequent Lynch collaborators to do voice work (which could even be done remotely). Not saying I believe this is the case but the original tweet/rumor is pretty vague. Just says "a movie at Cannes." Could be a documentary, remaster of an older film nobody saw coming, etc.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think if anyone could do it, it's Lynch and the secret police level of secrecy that accompanied S3. Those of us who've been here a while know Sabrina Sutherland did not fuck around. It's been a few years, too, since Dugpa settled into a sleepy rhythm re: rumors not panning out. Most of us were not as eagle-eyed or relentlessly on watch as before, or at least much more skeptical. And with pandemic conditions and logistical limitations being what they are, they could've pulled it off.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

kingchatterbox wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:01 am
Jonah wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:44 am Interesting - but how long had he been secretly filming IE before it was known? And who released that info? Also wondering if he ever filmed anything else in secret.
Lynch announced IE in May of 2005, and I believe started filming circa 2002. He had announced "Axxon N" long before 2005, so maybe that helped deflect speculation? I don't think it leaked before his announcement.
yeah, my memory was that at the height of David Lynch.com - summer of 2002 - as a pay site, there was a lot of 'Axxon N Coming Soon' graphics.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Ickles wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:50 am One thought I had re: folks not buying that Lynch could shoot an entire narrative feature film/TV pilot on the sly during the pandemic: it's possible whatever this is (again, if it exists at all) could be a lot more experimental/abstract than folks might be imagining. It could even be animated, or shot like "Rabbits", etc. That would lend itself to not needing a big crew, studio, etc. And would allow for frequent Lynch collaborators to do voice work (which could even be done remotely). Not saying I believe this is the case but the original tweet/rumor is pretty vague. Just says "a movie at Cannes." Could be a documentary, remaster of an older film nobody saw coming, etc.
Yeah, I did have a thought that it could be an animated thing like POZAR. Or his unfinished Maharishi documentary??

Maybe best not to get our hopes up too much, lol.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

The bulk of a Twin Peaks season could be filmed on a hermetically sealed film set. Most of the locations were sets. And those that weren't could easily be.

That leaves establishing shots. Those would be second unit anyway.

It leaves outdoors locations, many of which are in and around LA anyway. And could easily be written out of secrecy and covid requires it.

It leaves the Double R. Which is a bit of a headscratcher.

I don't really think they've filmed a bona fide broadcast television pilot or series. But they certainly could have without too much bother. Especially if they plan for it.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

LateReg wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:28 am
Cde. wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:07 am
mtwentz wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:43 am I am going to channel my inner Agent Earle here and say I won’t get excited just yet. Still just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point.
Cédric Succivalli is extremely reliable as a source regarding Cannes and he confirmed that the original rumour is accurate and it's a feature length film. He wouldn't say if it's Lynch. He usually teases a lot before the festival and hadn't mentioned this at all, so I imagine he wanted to keep the secret. It's hard to think of anyone but Lynch that it could refer to though. Scepticism is healthy but this is far more likely to be true than not.
I'm also familiar with Cedric and can confirm the validity of his posts. And while he won't confirm Lynch, it is hard to think of anyone else that fits that original tweet.

Nonetheless, I'd like the real Agent Earle to please stand up and tell us what he thinks. :)
Really have no clue what to think at this point, guys. If someone'd hold a gun to my head, I'd say I'm about 4 : 1 in favour of it being BS.

P.S.: Count me as part of the rabid fanbase of Boardwalk Empire! :)