Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by JackwithOneEye »

it was that Lost Highway script book - which strangely was released a month or two or three before the movie. He wanted to flip through it and look at the photos they put in, he said he knew the book was being published but he hadn't seen a copy yet and was surprised the public could buy it already. Spoilers were bigger then I think. I didnt know he was a smoker until he said that. I hadn't seem him smoke in any BTS footage till that point. I asked him if it was true there were plans to do other twin peaks movies, and he said he would have liked to, but there wasn't public interest ,to do any more, and no way to get money to do more twin peaks at this point, this being early 1997.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Ickles »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:56 am it was that Lost Highway script book - which strangely was released a month or two or three before the movie. He wanted to flip through it and look at the photos they put in, he said he knew the book was being published but he hadn't seen a copy yet and was surprised the public could buy it already. Spoilers were bigger then I think. I didnt know he was a smoker until he said that. I hadn't seem him smoke in any BTS footage till that point. I asked him if it was true there were plans to do other twin peaks movies, and he said he would have liked to, but there wasn't public interest ,to do any more, and no way to get money to do more twin peaks at this point, this being early 1997.
Weird coincidence but my copy of the Lost Highway screenplay book is autographed by David too. It's the only thing I have signed by him and I treasure it.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Sounds like a very memorable and cool meeting, Jack! Ickles, did you meet him too around the same time?

I've never met him. He came to my country only once since I've been a fan that I know of to do a TM talk at a university about three hours away and I was determined to go up to it but couldn't get tickets.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Jonah wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:02 am Ickles, did you meet him too around the same time?
No, this was a little bit later. It was after a special advance screening of Mulholland Drive that was introduced by him and Naomi Watts (I think it was part of Twin Peaks Fest but the details are a bit fuzzy? Been too many years!). I had brought the LH script book with me on the off-chance I could get him to sign it. It's my favorite film of his and inspired me to want to make/write my own films so the script book was particularly special to me even though I own about a billion books and bits of memorabilia I could've brought instead. To my surprise he was milling about the lobby afterwards, I was super nervous to ask him to sign but he was very very nice and signed it without hesitation.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Alright guys and gals —

I did some digging and confirmed today via another 100% source verifying what I was told firsthand a year ago. TP is not on the radar at Showtime and has not been. Not sure what that rumbling is, but it’s not TP.

Take it or leave it, and have a great day!
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Brad D wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:58 am Alright guys and gals —

I did some digging and confirmed today via another 100% source verifying what I was told firsthand a year ago. TP is not on the radar at Showtime and has not been. Not sure what that rumbling is, but it’s not TP.

So it's not coming to Showtime then. Could be worse.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

It figures. Thanks for the news, btw.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

bob_wooler wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:25 pm
Brad D wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:58 am Alright guys and gals —

So it's not coming to Showtime then. Could be worse.
Yikes, imagine it went back to ABC.

[Intense ominous shudders]
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thanks Brad for letting us know.

I imagine if it's not happening at Showtime, it's also not happening at Paramount as they're kinda merged (not technically but sort of) now. I don't know if it CAN happen anywhere else - such as Netflix. I know Lynch and Frost own the rights but I imagine there are distribution and other rights too. It's still possible UN/Wisteria has been "unpaused". I know the first tweet specified TP but the second did not. That is if you put much stock in those tweets in the first place, which I do not.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:36 pm Thanks Brad for letting us know.

I imagine if it's not happening at Showtime, it's also not happening at Paramount as they're kinda merged (not technically but sort of) now. I don't know if it CAN happen anywhere else - such as Netflix. I know Lynch and Frost own the rights but I imagine there are distribution and other rights too. It's still possible UN/Wisteria has been "unpaused". I know the first tweet specified TP but the second did not. That is if you put much stock in those tweets in the first place, which I do not.
After looking into it, I'm 99% sure the third one (Scare Mag) is bullshit. All their info comes third hand on the website. Including one that's citing Sneaky Dave who's citing canthavit who's then in Fatecolossal.

Scott Wrampler is legit. His podcast regularly books top level guests and artists. Whether that specific tweet means what we think it means, or is accurate, no idea. But he's no troll.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm going to go back to my idea of Lynch doing a movie instead. Perfect length for Carrie Page's story and a bit more on Coop and Audrey too. An even darker mirror of FWWM with another "happy ending" like BV and FWWM, maybe with them coming out of the darkness into the light - or another chilling ambiguous ending. Whatever they like. Great way to wrap things up. (Down the road, maybe a relaunch or revival of Twin Peaks on Paramount with as much input from Frost and Lynch as they're comfortable with. I know a lot of you don't like that idea and that's fine. I understand. Just an idea but I'm more focused on a Lynch movie anyway.)

Right now, if Lynch can get the budget, I don't see why a movie wouldn't be possible. I'm sure he could get 10-30 million easier than 80+ million - heck, even Showtime might be MORE willing to do a movie (they're all the rage now since the Breaking Bad and Deadwood and Ray Donovan ones) as it's less budget, less commitment, could even end up functioning as a quasi-pilot for a new relaunch. I do wonder if this would also suit Lynch's "one story" that was calling to him idea than having to come up with material for 18 episodes . And a movie can be as dark and abstract as he wants, plus while it's still a large undertaking, it's less intensive and pressurized than writing and shooting 18 hours of content. It would also allow him, presumably, to do that for Showtime and then maybe a new series (UN/Wisteria) for Netflix. The movie would air on one night only, could see larger ratings, plus maybe a theatrical run too. Add in DVD, Blu-Ray, VOD sales - I'm not sure why they're not pursuing this (that we know of)! Just dreaming a little of the possible avenues I'd like to see them explore.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Eeep-I need to restate something-this is a source at Paramount+, not SHO. Sorry for the mix-up.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I bet even their own C-suite officials get confused by the conglomerate's labyrinthine corporate structure.

Nevins probably regularly looks confused and asks "what brand is this" when he knocks a door at Showtime and it turns out he's at P+

And it seems like the more they try ro restructure the more convoluted it gets.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Assuming the minor "rumblings" aren't total bullshit pulled out of thin air and it's confirmed there's no traction with SHO/P+, is it possible talks with Netflix are being revived? I re-read back through canthaveit's reddit posts and the last they said on the subject is:
I can confirm that Wisteria is no longer in development at Netflix. It's possible that it maybe goes to someone else or maybe they start production again at a later unknown date. But it is not moving forward under the original contracts.

Not sure if it was Lynch's decision or Netflix's decision but that's it for now.
That was 5 months ago and it does leave the door open for re-visiting the contract at a later date so perhaps they've revived talks to address whatever issues lead to the plug being pulled in the first place? If so it would remind me a bit of David going with Showtime for The Return and then dropping out due to budget and coming back once it was sorted out. Especially if UN/W isn't TP related and the IP is all him, no other contracts to work around (i.e. no Frost to say yes while he says no, etc.)
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Tbh, I'm slightly disappointed if the fat wallets up at P+ have been ruled out. That doesn't rule out Showtime, though. And they could always share since any Showtime show will by default be on P+ for those subscribed to the $12/$14 bundle.

SHO is a seperate issue. As is Netflix.