Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by DougieJones »

In a now deleted reddit post. The poster commented “Kale and Laura Dern are in. Not sure about a release date but it’s been in development.”
Attachments
5DF2A5DD-A586-43DD-BC6C-7E2E4798D5F9.jpeg
5DF2A5DD-A586-43DD-BC6C-7E2E4798D5F9.jpeg (247.3 KiB) Viewed 11752 times
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

DougieJones wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:57 am In a now deleted reddit post. The poster commented “Kale and Laura Dern are in. Not sure about a release date but it’s been in development.”
That's the fourth seperate time I've heard this specific bit of info: Kyle and Laura are locked in even if no one else is yet. And the series is in active early development phases (this is not pre-production).
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Yep, was going to just comment the same thing. My friend texted me that screenshot and I said “again?” What’s interesting though is this poster didn’t say early development but that it’s BEEN in development.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Not to be a naysayer but I mean they've been saying the same stuff since the three of them put up a photo of having coffee together. They're friends. Plus if TP was going ahead - I'd imagine both those actors would have to be involved. And Sheryl Lee too. At a minimum. Hopefully Sherilyn Fenn too. (Not to mention a very long list of other cast members we'd all love to see involved - everyone from Kimmy Robertson to people like Heather Graham who didn't get to appear in S3.) But anonymous reddit posters - yeah, no.

Not raining on any parades here though - I'm openly skeptical for sure, but not saying nothing is afoot either. I'll remain on the fence for now, expectations firmly tempered, watching the wind to see if anything more optimistic floats on by like a cloud with interesting patterns in it.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Yeah I agree with you about Reddit information. I’m just gonna keep waiting patiently. Also we should note that Kyle has been working out and seems to have gotten the Cooper style haircut again. Along with Sabrina’s Instagram and some hints here and there I’m getting optimistic.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm not trying to naysay all these posts (I swear) but people keep bringing up Kyle working out. 1. It's not like he's ever been very out of shape? and 2. Does he really need to work out that much to play Coop when he's not out of shape anyway? Most likely another role - he's always busy appearing in something. Again, not dousing hopes here, but that's just not something that makes me take notice. The hair, a little maybe, but he's dyed it for other roles too.

I will say this much - regardless of what's happening, Paramount has a prime opportunity to try to get the Twin Peaks IP up off the ground again given the Showtime/CBS "merger" (is it an actual merger or just a rebranding?) (if Lynch and Frost are willing - to any extent), and also given their interest in other 90's IPs like the Scream franchise (which was dormant longer now than TP) and that 90's nostalgia is at an all time peak (pun intended!) now, even moreso arguably than it was in 2017.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

It stems at least for me from his quote about how he had to get in shape again for playing Cooper in Season 3. It’s not a major detail and yeah it really isn’t a major notice. Paramount Plus has Twin Peaks in their 90’s binge category and they definitely have the opportunity to put major money into what they consider a prestige show. Money was always the question mark and now they have it.
"Jade give two rides."
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I haven't heard anything, but if I do, I'll post it here clearly and concisely.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I very much believe that the only reason for a new season not to happen would be if Lynch wasn't interested in it, if he felt that The Return was really the end. (Which would also be fine because it's great as it is.) Besides that, I really don't see a reason for it not to happen. I don't see why the studio wouldn't be interested - after all, it is a prestigious and very well-known show - and most of the other people associated with it would be thrilled to work with Lynch again. I also don't see Frost vetoing a new chapter, even if he decided to skip it himself this time around - which I doubt would happen.

In a world of endless sequels, revivals, reboots, remakes, etc., if David Lynch wanted to make a new season of Twin Peaks, would there truly be any chance that he could be stopped because of lack of interest of other involved parties? Or any other reason whatsoever?
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

To add onto that Showtime received a lot of press and prestige publicized attention for Twin Peaks. Considering that they’re trying to compete with HBOMax and Netflix now they probably want more substantial catalog to bring people to the service. A lot of people would sign up for Paramount Plus if they did S4. That obviously includes myself.
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

In a proxy statement to shareholders filed to the US SEC, CBS Corp said this of how Twin Peaks figured in its growth success:
launching exclusive original programming on both services, including “Star Trek: Discovery,” “The Good Fight” and “No Activity” on CBS All Access, and the revival of “Twin Peaks” on Showtime OTT, which generated interest in the services from consumers and led to a surge in new subscribers at multiple times throughout the year
It also cites Twin Peaks was a major part of its international growth thanks to local distribution deals.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Stavrogyn wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:11 am In a world of endless sequels, revivals, reboots, remakes, etc., if David Lynch wanted to make a new season of Twin Peaks, would there truly be any chance that he could be stopped because of lack of interest of other involved parties? Or any other reason whatsoever?
$$, creative control — lots of it actually.

Stepping outside of the Lynch echo plex, I do think the Return put a few dings in Twin Peaks’ more populist appeal. It did not do itself many favors in regards to continuing the story past s3, and that may have been the intent. I don’t know. As a franchise, it get (edit: felt) like Lynch attempting to kill his own baby.

I know some of you guys think the opposite, but I suspect it was not nearly the success some make it out to be. I think it def jumped up showtime subscriptions on the first month, but how many viewers hung around after night one? None of us know for sure. *Showtime will spin it positively either way.* More mystery where on either side, it’s a lot of speculation and little else to go on.

A Lynch series seems sort of possible to me at some point. The only peep I ever really heard about it was one piece of casting before covid. TP4? I say you guys are kidding yourselves, as much as I’d like to see it.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Histeria wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:57 am
It also cites Twin Peaks was a major part of its international growth thanks to local distribution deals.
Yes, the international audience for "Twin Peaks" is huge and always has been. The live ratings in the US where dismal, but that doesn't paint the whole picture of the value of Twin Peaks as an IP. For example, I don't think they are going to stop making James Bond movies just because they are less popular in the US than in Europe.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I agree that Lynch may well have unintentionally killed his own baby or intentionally killed the franchise's populist appeal.

But there's very little to suggest he intended Part 18 to be the final ever Twin Peaks episode.

He himself has directly, publicly, and openly discussed the potential of making a fourth season. Sabrina has openly discussed the potentiality. Frost as openly discussed how it's too early to say anything (which could mean nothing but probably means they didn't definitively close that book with P18).
Last edited by Histeria on Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.