Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by krishnanspace »

DougieJones wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:03 pm
krishnanspace wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:02 pm
DougieJones wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:06 am I just wanted to note that I messaged a fellow member of this board just before. I heard we were gonna hear something today.
In how many hours?
I was referring to the tweet posted on the last page. However there might be more coming.
More news officially or through random tweets?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

What if the listings were made in error to begin with? I mean, it feels to me that most all Unrecorded Night/Wisteria/etc has been primarily fueled by online speculation and hype and very little (if any) concrete info. From my point of view at least.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Brad D wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:09 pm Taking a step back, how do we know there was a real Netflix deal that was inked? Or that it was ever close to production? Even Deming’s comment felt like it could be speculation, led off with the caveat “I think.” Showtime announced season three without any legal commitment from Lynch, after all. Maybe I am jaded or calloused from years of rumor, delay, and shenanigans… but with all things Lynch and/or TP, seeing is believing for me. And I’ve seen diddly squat.
I don't think we've seen anything credible pointing specifically to Netflix being involved (of course we know that they were funding the Duwayne Dunham film that Lynch was exec. producing). In general we know very little for sure. Besides Deming there was also the Lynch+Sutherland interview that stated that they'd be working on a film/series project had it not been for the pandemic. Again it is possible they were simply misquoted, but then what would have been the reason for Sutherland to not simply retract/contextualise it. Basically, it is a situation that is very reminiscent of the year before TPTR was announced, there was too smoke for there not to be a fire.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Histeria wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:13 pm
Brad D wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:09 pm Taking a step back, how do we know there was a real Netflix deal that was inked? Or that it was ever close to production? Even Deming’s comment felt like it could be speculation, led off with the caveat “I think.” Showtime announced season three without any legal commitment from Lynch, after all. Maybe I am jaded or calloused from years of rumor, delay, and shenanigans… but with all things Lynch and/or TP, seeing is believing for me. And I’ve seen diddly squat.
Deming said "I think" about his hunch it will pick back up again after the pandemic eases. As in "there was a project and it was impacted by covid but I think it may resume when it's safer".

We can be reasonably certain there was a deal with Netflix. We can't really tell how far it got because the next listings removed Netflix as a co-producer/distributor entirely.
But wasn't Netflix UN/Wistera if anything not TP S4? I know they could be related, but still seems to be if it's TP, it will be Showtime/Paramount.

I was going to post about the Netflix thing earlier but decided not to. Apart from that guy on reddit who did admittedly seem credible, I was going to say we'd have never known about Netflix right? Like, it was mentioned in that first article but then deleted, so we might have assumed it was an error based on Lynch being seen at Netlfix when he was presumably discussing What Did Jack Do? But because of cantewheit (argh - I forget how to spell his exact username, but you all know who I mean) we decided Netflix did seem credible. Either way, we still can't be sure Netflix ever was TP. Most likely a separate project? So was Deming implying that other project might pick up again after the pandemic, not TP? Or are we back to thinking they're "one and the same"? So many questions. So little answers.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

All I’m saying is, it’s easy to argue what might could be as opposed to fact, which we have very, very little of. I admire the persistent positivity, even if I see little reasoning in it. At least in regard to a fourth season. I feel like we’ve all been having the same convo for the past year. What year is it, anyway?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Brad D wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:28 pm I feel like we’ve all been having the same convo for the past year. What year is it, anyway?
Ha ha yeah. Funny you should say that - I was writing a post about the Netflix rumours (similar to the one I posted above) about half an hour ago and I was halfway through it and thought to myself "wait - we've already discussed all this stuff multiple times, let's not open all those old doors again" and deleted it.

You know, I'm sure someone else already said this but you know guys I think THIS is Twin Peaks - Season 4. That's right, THIS THREAD is Twin Peaks Season 4 - endless speculation and mystery with very few answers. And no studios demanding the mystery be answered (by providing us with answers) so the mystery can live on forever!! Could you ask for anything more Lynchian?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Brad, is it possible for you to say if your source was from the cast or from the crew? Basically, I think it is possible that something could be happening without even Maclachlan knowing about it in advance.

Just to remind us all, the most promising part of the Deming quote was "...I had not started work on it yet". It would be a big assumption for him to expect to be the DoP of Lynch's next project, if he had not been told that anything was brewing. So I put a bit of stock in that "yet".
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Frost did not say that he knew about a Netflix project, he just said that he wasn't involved in any such thing. Canthaveit has so far not produced anything that we've been able to validate for sure. So Histeria saying that Production Weekly is highly credible is so far the only thing (+ "What Jack Did") that points to Netflix.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Netflix posting What Did Jack Do on his birthday and the Duwayne Dunham project do point to creatives at Netflix having a Lynch interest.

As per production weekly being credible, I dunno.

I've seen mind blowingly astonishing falsehoods make it out there. The New York Times supposedly the paper of record, most famous newspaper on the planet,
and Jayson Blair made up fake witness quotes during that Sniper incident in Baltimore suburbs and attributed them to names he picked put of the Maryland white pages and NYT published his stuff for a bit.

It's possible any publication can let their guard down, not enough confirmation, and a mistake can happen.
it's possible to me someone submitted a flawed tip to PW and it got through, and rather than publishing a retraction, they just quietly
made the listings go away.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:02 pm Netflix posting What Did Jack Do on his birthday and the Duwayne Dunham project do point to creatives at Netflix having a Lynch interest.

As per production weekly being credible, I dunno.

I've seen mind blowingly astonishing falsehoods make it out there. The New York Times supposedly the paper of record, most famous newspaper on the planet,
and Jayson Blair made up fake witness quotes during that Sniper incident in Baltimore suburbs and attributed them to names he picked put of the Maryland white pages and NYT published his stuff for a bit.

It's possible any publication can let their guard down, not enough confirmation, and a mistake can happen.
it's possible to me someone submitted a flawed tip to PW and it got through, and rather than publishing a retraction, they just quietly
made the listings go away.
That's all possible, yes. But Occam's Razor would protest, surely. After you spent all year decrying elaborate interpretations of messages in favour of simpler and more credible ones, surely your theories here are in that same realm. That last one is especially nebulous. Why would you suspect such nefariousness over the much simpler explanation that it was accurate as of the date of publication? Especially when you just conflated consumer-facing publications with jndustry-facing ones like I discussed a few posts down. Surely you'd have actual knowledge and experience with these types of services (like you do with the New York Times) to be able to say error is more likely than accuracy. I'm just not sure what you're basing it on. Can you offer examples of inaccurate listings that they refused to amend? Or fraudulent ones they misattributed? Or stuff they made up? Or anything to suggest you should err on the side of distressing them? Especially when you're not really meant to see them in the first place. The NYT seeks to attract your attention before other sites. PW and other websites actively avoid attracting your attention.

At one point, it really was easier to go to the moon than it was faking a moon landing.

We have had this exact debate many times and I get the feeling many people forget just how much evidence there was. If we forget or just don't put to memory 50% of the stuff posted here then when looking back a year later it can feel a lot less solid than it actually was. But there's an excellent search function on this thread and I suggest it be used liberally.
Last edited by Histeria on Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Just saw the tweet.

5 minutes before seeing it, I had decided to rewatch season 3.

It's a sign.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I wish I could feel more excited than I actually do. Not trying to kill anyone else's buzz, just not really feeling it. Maybe because there's been so many false starts. I'm not even cautiously optimistic, but as ever with Twin Peaks I am hopeful - just not getting said hopes up if that makes sense.