Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

Interesting find. Hmm. You know, at this stage, we could almost write an intriguing docu-style series about whether or not more TP 4 is being made. Between stuff like this and all those filings with Frost's name not on them (as one example), there's been enough mystery and intrigue for its own show. Can't say I'm overly confident in there being more TP anytime soon, but despite some of my reservations with The Return, I still liked enough of it to always be fascinated to see more TP or more from Lynch/Frost in general.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by DougieJones »

I feel as though if we pooled all of our resources together we could definitely figure out if TP4 is being made. Our docu-series would be number 1 on Paramount Plus lol. It’s been such a constant back and forth that feels like if it wasn’t happening it would have been definitively shut down.
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Histeria »

Last edited by Histeria on Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

Kyle posted on his Instagram video of him lifting weights. He looks to be in great shape, and it seems as though he has a certain type of haircut under his hat. A certain buzz cut.
"Jade give two rides."
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

DougieJones wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:38 pm Kyle posted on his Instagram video of him lifting weights. He looks to be in great shape, and it seems as though he has a certain type of haircut under his hat. A certain buzz cut.
I was wondering whether that was from last year or not. Btw what was the role he was getting fit for? Surely it can't have been the Carole Baskin show?

Speaking of undetermined roles: LFB said she has a role that would require her to kill the interviewer if she told them what it was. Apart from that one dodgy-looking crime caper she was doing, there's been nothing in terms of upcoming (or recent) roles. Unless she's doing a Men in Black sequel what other role could she reasonably get at this stage of her career that would require shoot-on-sight NDA policies?
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I’m pretty sure it’s new. The trainer posted it on the story as if it was today and the video looks pretty new in regards to quality. He definitely got a Cooper type haircut.
"Jade give two rides."
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Would Cooper in 2022 or after be in great shape though?

Since the show plays with the notion of time it would be likely that Cooper could still be in the FBI whilst the actor is in his 60s. In The Return they took a lot of effort to make Kyle look as similar to how he looked in the original seasons as possible and he certainly did look younger than his real age.

If Cooper were to follow a realistic story after the more fantastical The Return, they could show him post-retirement but I can imagine both scripting issues and production questions with such a possibility. Its pretty obvious that Cooper would wish to move to Twin Peaks so as to be close to the Double R and to meet his old friend Harry - or at least find out how he was. Frank Truman would presumably have passed on leaving really only Andy, Lucy and Hawk for Cooper to say hello to again. Any scenes with Bobby would definitely be good viewing. In terms of a great story, it would surely have to relate again to mysteries of old and the Palmer case - but to devote an entire series to that would be in my view a mistake. In many ways a more simple story focused on Cooper's love of small town life, coffee and meeting the new police team etc could be great but Frost and Lynch (any writers) would have to construct a new mystery that somehow brings in many facets of what we have already seen but introduce something new and compelling.

As a fan of INLAND EMPIRE for instance I am more than happy to imagine Lynch filming something on digital cameras himself to keep the budget down but a mix of techniques would be amazing I think. More of a coalescence than sticking to one method of filming. If any of this were to happen, or is even happening again now as we speak on here, I can see again many fans resistant to Twin Peaks not just being set 100 percent in the town. I too feel like that largely but I do think small transgressions out of the woodsy Peaks works well.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Kyle looks a lot younger now than he did in 2015. And that's before the HMU department spend five fours making him look like Cooper before each day on set.

I thought more about whether it would be more of a departure like S3 or return back to a vibe in keeping with the original series. I actually think it could be the latter. Watching S3 again this week, I was struck by how the Peaksy elements of the show slowly ramp up in the second half as if the show is beginning to remember itself again.

Previously, I perceived it all to be linear but I don't think that's true. S3 isn't really a "return", it's about striving to return. And it ends just as we reach our destination.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I could see that.

You know, really I could see Lynch going further down the rabbit hole of whatever dimension they're in at the end of The Return - a fragmented series of vignettes focusing on Laura and Dale (now Carrie and Richard - getting a bit sick of having to use dual names whenever I mention the final scene!) and maybe Audrey in another reality, then someone else in another reality still, etc.

BUT I also think of the happy ending Blue Velvet had (or is it a "happy ending"?) and that sometimes makes me think - and I've said this before - that even though the next iteration of Twin Peaks could continue down a darker and stranger road ala The Return, I could also see it eventually winding up at a happy, perhaps idealized place, like the darkness being stripped away and goodness and light returning to the town.

Lately, I've also wondered if there might be a soft reboot and we see a new Lynch and Frost vision for TP, making The Return feel almost stand alone like a strange dream? I think this is extremely unlikely - but it's just a thought that has occurred to me, primarily as I think we all expect a new season to pick up at the end of the last and it might not. It might not even be related. I think it will be, but this thought has been crossing my mind.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I think the ending of S3 solidified that the show is now Gordon, Dale, Diane, and Laura. Cooper saying how “some things will change” leads me to believe that if a S4 does occur it would cut back to the bizzaro Twin Peaks with Dale as Richard and Laura as Carrie. The shot of Diane, Coop, and Gordon walking out from the darkness in the basement of the Great Northern is to show that this is who will continue the story on.

I don’t think Lynch/Frost would agree to do a soft reboot. I think the ideas that could stem out of S3’s ending alone makes a S4 worth it.

Edit: In all honesty though I do think that The Fireman’s message to Cooper in Part 1 takes place after Part 18. Either that or it’s when DougieCoop is in the coma.
"Jade give two rides."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Just to clarify - I don't think they'd "agree" to do a soft reboot like a from a mandate from the studio or something. It would be their own decision whatever it is. I just mean, it could be a Lynchian version of a soft reboot - or that's a term fans might use to describe the next iteration.

I'm thinking more like them approaching TP from a new angle again, not necessarily picking up directly from the ending of S3 where we all presume it will take place, but perhaps whatever that scream and lights going out caused, whatever "waking up" from a "dream" into an entirely new world - we might start there, rather than the dimension we were shown they were trapped in, that might have entirely fallen away now like dreams do on waking, and we might be in the "real" world of Twin Peaks. Sort of like how The Return did not pick up right at the end of Season 2 where we left Cooper in the bathroom, but in a new place again. Hard to explain what I mean but that's the closest I can manage.

If that "dreamscape"/dimension fell away when the lights went out, we might pick up almost anywhere else, and therefore it could be "soft reboot" (for want of a better term) if we're exploring the town and characters again from a new angle, not necessarily as a direct follow-up to The Return, which could almost feel standalone due to the numerous "dream" references or in a similar way that FWWM feels connected to but still separate from the original series. Actually, come to think of it, whatever they decide, I do think the next season would feel like its own thing, separate from FWWM, the original series, and The Return (though likely closer in style to the latter - although, again, not necessarily as I think every iteration of TP feels somewhat unique and different to each other despite being connected).
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

That actually sounds really intriguing now that you say that. A soft reboot in terms of it being the next part of the story but not exactly with the ending of The Return, but instead the ramifications of it. Where you have entirely new people, like the adult kid of Ed and Nadine, because you have an entirely clean slate to work with. A soft reboot though in a way is like what The Return was. It introduced new places, new characters but all led back to Twin Peaks with the familiar faces. S4 having doppelgängers of our old characters though in the alternate dimension intrigues me as well. I would really love if they had everything be different but Harry is still Sheriff.

I agree with the fact that S4 would be even more different. I think they would take the concept of S3’s ending and just run with it seeing where it leads to. It would be so awesome if they did say something on TP Day 2022. Mark Frost’s interview that Histeria posted about is slated to be released on TP Day and the person who runs the podcast Frost is on tweeted that “Friends of the podcast, if for some reason you have not seen Twin Peaks, you have 6 days to watch it all… Next week’s incredible guest is the wonderful @mfrost11. He’s filled with secrets.”
"Jade give two rides."
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

DougieJones wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:39 am Mark Frost’s interview that Histeria posted about is slated to be released on TP Day and the person who runs the podcast Frost is on tweeted that “Friends of the podcast, if for some reason you have not seen Twin Peaks, you have 6 days to watch it all… Next week’s incredible guest is the wonderful @mfrost11. He’s filled with secrets.”
I missed that post from Histeria, here is the link to where the podcast can eventually be found:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/f ... 85620?mt=2
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

eyeboogers wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:04 am
DougieJones wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:39 am Mark Frost’s interview that Histeria posted about is slated to be released on TP Day and the person who runs the podcast Frost is on tweeted that “Friends of the podcast, if for some reason you have not seen Twin Peaks, you have 6 days to watch it all… Next week’s incredible guest is the wonderful @mfrost11. He’s filled with secrets.”
I missed that post from Histeria, here is the link to where the podcast can eventually be found:
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/f ... 85620?mt=2
I can't find the podcast there, apologies, where do I find it specifically? :)
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.