Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by AXX°N N. »

That's definitely my favorite thing about the old show, is the feeling of the material catapulting itself here and there. I had the same "oh boy" feeling whenever Lost would have a Lindelof/Cuse written episode directed by Bender. S3 kind of all merged together and, like a movie, it was individual scenes that would impact; I can't say P8 is a favorite like I can say episode 29 was, because I feel like the NIN song, while it fits the tone of the episode, might as well have belonged to the prior episode, and the car drive with Mr. C and Ray is good but something that kind of surprises me because my expectation clicking on 8 is all the bomb montages; I don't completely associate it with P8 in my head. But on airing night, because I didn't anticipate the blast and everything after, it did really sweep me off my feet, and even made me hyperventilate.

I think in the event of a 90s season 3, the only way to get Lynch not to wander would have been to slot Steven Spielberg every five episodes.
Last edited by AXX°N N. on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Jonah »

AXX°N N. wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:17 am That's definitely my favorite thing about the old show, is the feeling of the material catapulting itself here and there. I had the same "oh boy" feeling whenever Lost would have a Lindelof/Cuse written episode directed by Bender.
With LOST, I had that about the season finales. Sure, they were a bit repetitive in that they always seemed to feature scenes of the gang marching across the beach and back, going somewhere to fight with the Others, etc. - but I loved every bit of them! That show really did season finale and cliffhangers well (not to mention great WTF season openers too).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Back on topic. I've been following the last few pages but haven't really weighed in for a bit.

To be honest, I still think there's a small chance we might see more TP - but I don't feel the possibility is strong anymore. Also, I think Sabrina's social media posts are not really hinting at that. Sure, there might be times when she is hinting a little bit (the "continuing story" and all that) but even then I think it's more her just being tongue-in-cheek. Sure, it might come across as a bit mean, but that's only to fans who are fervently waiting for more. To her, it's just fun social media posts for the most part. I know, I know, there's been lots of examples of hint but to her it might just seem a little cheeky or more like throwback references to the show, not actual bait for future seasons. Or maybe even she's trying to keep interest among fans in case something doesn't come up. But several times now she's said Lynch is just focusing on his art (which I took to mean painting/sculpting) right now. The "right now" could be telling, but she's still letting us know nothing else is happening at the moment. It could down the road but if something is ever announced, I highly doubt it will ever be there. (Watch me ending up being wrong about that!)

As for Rebekkah Del Rio's "Rancho Rosa" comment at most it probably just means she thinks it's a code word for more TP or a new Lynch show. But I doubt she has insider info. I mean ... she posted a load of very heavy hints on her social media that had reddit up in arms, convinced she was saying there would be a TP announcement - images of red curtains and much, much more - and she really really leaned into it, I believe there were even Wisteria/Unrecorded Night references thrown in as well (correct me if I'm wrong) and in the end the big reveal was - it turned out to be about her album release! So, yeah, I think she might be one of the very last people to know if more TP was planned. I'd probably look to Kyle or even Sherilyn first (possibly Kimmy as well) - and remember even THEIR (Kyle and Sherilyn's) social media posts (the wisteria stuff) not only came to nothing, but were actually walked back by both of them. Maybe they heard something we didn't, that things were postponed/cancelled/not going to happen or they'd just assumed Lynch's new show might be TP until he told them it wasn't.

And given how Lynch himself seemed to hint or troll about a big announcement that also ended up being about nothing, I probably wouldn't look at hints AT ALL anymore - and just wait for an announcement. Sure, that could come up on social media, but unless it's like the last synchronized "that gum you like is going to come back in style" tweets kind of thing by Lynch/Frost, I wouldn't bother reading into anything else. Even then, sad to say, I think at this point, given all the seeming hints (that probably weren't hints at all, just people having fun) I'm not sure they'd even be able to do the gum kind of tweets again as it's a bit like the boy who cried wolf - some fans might just dismiss it at this stage. Probably not, but I think any announcement now would have to be very official and very directly stated.

Anyway, suffice it to say - save your sanity and time by not reading too much into the social media stuff. I did it myself for months and months and months, but I don't bother with it now and I feel more at peace as a result. I'm assuming there won't be more, still hope there will be, and if an announcement is made that more is coming, I'll be delighted!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Brad D wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:20 am I enjoyed the sandbox / community art project of the original. So many great scripts/dialogue and episodes directed by people outside of Lynch and Frost - to me, it’s kind of a bummer Lynch wants to pretty much claim/re-forge/retcon it as his own sole dominion now. **IMHO**
What your statement highlights is that there has always been two versions of Twin Peaks: Lynch's and everyone else's.

And thus the division in opinion. A lot of fans liked Lynch in the original series, because he was in smaller doses.

Personally, I love both: I love the pure heroin Lynch version; I also love the Caleb Deschanel, Leslie Linka Glatter, Tim Hunter etc. version of Twin Peaks.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

The contributions of other directors were perfectly fine until after Maddy died. Was interesting to read in Brad's book how Lynch and Frost were to work with as hired directors/writers.

What happened next was a shocking nosedive in quality (I can still enjoy it, personally, but it's still a horrific decline).

In any case, I tend to avoid the network TV style give-everyone-go churnavision method to filmmaking. Scrap "showrunners" for a coherent vision of a singular artist (or artistic team) any day of the week.

Similarly, I do wonder how the series would be handled if continued post-Lynch or Frost. It might be the first time I actually prefer a broad church approach but that's just because I have my own list of writers and directors I'd want and don't think any of them alone could replace Lynch and Frost's esoteric mix of horror, comedy, farce, soapy drama.*

What would probably happen is the mildly nepotistic method of handing out Twin Peaks crew positions to date will continue.

*Good thread idea, no?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Histeria wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:02 pm The contributions of other directors were perfectly fine until after Maddy died. Was interesting to read in Brad's book how Lynch and Frost were to work with as hired directors/writers.

What happened next was a shocking nosedive in quality (I can still enjoy it, personally, but it's still a horrific decline).

*Good thread idea, no?
we should probably merge this into a new thread -- but most shocking to me, is I spent about two hours on the phone with Tina Rathborne who directed EP 17. She had just re-watched the ep and I really needled her with questions. Most shocking to me was the revelation that she didnt have one conversation with either Lynch or Frost about this ep, and IMO, it was the most vital episode of season 2 in regard to saving the show as a whole. If anyone had directed EP 17, it should have been Lynch to throttle this show into its post-WKLP era. Oh, what could have been. Depressing if I think about it too long.

More stunning, is Tricia Brock wrote the episode. It was her first TP script, and first produced script she ever wrote IIRC. Lynch and Frost left their baby on the highway, and you can't change my mind. I will say - I love Coop in this ep and how Kyle approached the performance.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

The contributions would have likely continued to be fine, since the one variable we're certain of is an absence of coherent showrunning; in other words, Rathborne and Brock, no matter the missteps in the episodes as episodes, are the least to blame. Although of course there's always the argument of the blame being the producer pressure and the creative acquiescence knocking the wind out. It's still so strange to me though how potent 14 is just a few eps away from 17. The speed and totality in which Lynch's interest vanished is really something.

I've actually never wondered what a Lynch directed episode 17 would look like, which, I'm not sure why, because it's such an interesting thought. Man.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Just to clarify-I wasn’t blaming Rathborne or Brock at all. They were hired to do a job and Lynch and Frost signed off, either way it goes. I also remember being told Lynch threw a royal fit over Holland’s second episode intro, where many simply pin him as “gone”

And agreed about the change from 14-17. Even 15, something feels way off in the tone. Hank and Eddie come to mind.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Brad D wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:30 pm Just to clarify-I wasn’t blaming Rathborne or Brock at all. They were hired to do a job and Lynch and Frost signed off, either way it goes. I also remember being told Lynch threw a royal fit over Holland’s second episode intro, where many simply pin him as “gone”
Fascinating. Did he just not like it stylistically? (The throne in the jungle, etc?)
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Brad D wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:30 pm Just to clarify-I wasn’t blaming Rathborne or Brock at all. They were hired to do a job and Lynch and Frost signed off, either way it goes. I also remember being told Lynch threw a royal fit over Holland’s second episode intro, where many simply pin him as “gone”
Didn't mean to imply! I was just spitballing off your post.

That's interesting because that's for sure always been my least favorite visual moment in the entire show just because of the ugly fliters.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:41 pm
Fascinating. Did he just not like it stylistically? (The throne in the jungle, etc?)
I didn’t get the particulars on that - but I’m guessing all of the above? <shrug> I think Harley ultimately caught the heat for that.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I thought Diane Keaton's direction was superb on S2E15. The episode (at least visually) felt curated and purposeful compared to the ones directly preceeding and following it. But I think this is an unpopular option?

Love her quote on what Lynch said to her, and it follows on neatly from what Brad said: "Do whatever you want" and "Heh heh. Goodbye. Here, you have any ideas? Do it."

Though Lynch is often cited as losing interest, Brad makes an impirtant point in that Frost was on autopilot, too. His surgical narrative precision and intellectual heft disappears completely and the show was left with all the clichéd kitsch but none of the auterish dexterity that elevated it.

Watching Twin Peaks the third time, I was less annoyed by Lynch's self-exile than I was with Frost ostensibly staying with his ship but watching idly as it sank.

There was a very good line in the NYT that encapsulated this: how the series' best and last episode was directly preceeded by its absolute rock-bottom worst.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Regarding the jungle throne, maybe Lynch felt it was showing too much? Various fan theories since that shot have taken it as a display of the white lodge, though L&F have maintained after the fact it was never shown. I think it might come down to Lynch's consistent distate for how others envision the Red Room and related dimensions.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

I saw some photos of Kyle shooting the Tiger King series or whatever it is. His hair is all gray now which I think is just his natural hair color now. I know he was pretty much all gray on Carol's Second Act, but he's starting to look old now. If TP did continue, would Lynch want him to dye his hair, or would he let him go with his natural look?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Esselgee wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:38 pm I saw some photos of Kyle shooting the Tiger King series or whatever it is. His hair is all gray now which I think is just his natural hair color now. I know he was pretty much all gray on Carol's Second Act, but he's starting to look old now. If TP did continue, would Lynch want him to dye his hair, or would he let him go with his natural look?
I read an interview where Kyle said he’s been dyeing his hair for pretty much his entire career. Here’s a 1990 article that mentions his hair being “heavily peppered with gray” way back then (as someone who started greying in his teens, I can identify): https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... b2c302b17/