Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by NormoftheAndes »

But there is no forthcoming blu-ray Twin Peaks release so I'm not following what you're meaning. To compare Lynch/ Sabrina to George Lucas is just a bit ridiculous.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:31 am But there is no forthcoming blu-ray Twin Peaks release so I'm not following what you're meaning.
The key part of my (facetious) point was 'or something'. The theory is that the "why" may have an explanation in wanting to channel Wisteria speculation into another endeavour. Everyone else connected to TP in some way seems to do it to promote their own stuff so it's only a short sideways hop.

I don't know if they're putting a new set together (but I would assume there will be a new one released sooner or later). It could be anything (or nothing), the boxset line was just to illustrate the point.
To compare Lynch/ Sabrina to George Lucas is just a bit ridiculous.
Ahh, man. if only Bob Iger was still around as head of Disney to unwrap the ceremonial plastic tarp off a $4b deal to buy out Twin Peaks from Frost and Lynch and to announce a Twin Peaks Cinematic Universe (TPCU).

Interns in Minnie Mouse bodysuits dancing to Audrey's Dance. Simpsons tie-ins on D+. The possibilities would be endless.

The cycle would truly have been complete after his handling of Twin Peaks at ABC in 1991.

Poetry.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

I think everyone here would like a Twin Peaks Cinematic Universe after the middling response overall to The Return.

Did anyone here pick up on the recent Q&A after a Mulholland Dr. screening in Chicago, which suggested the 'Wisteria' project was still ongoing?
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:04 am I think everyone here would like a Twin Peaks Cinematic Universe after the middling response overall to The Return.
Twin Peaks is a cinematic universe through the back door. There are TV shows, films, aborted spin-offs and tie-in books!
Did anyone here pick up on the recent Q&A after a Mulholland Dr. screening in Chicago, which suggested the 'Wisteria' project was still ongoing?
Nope. Tried finding coverage but saw nothing beyond photos and snippets at the time I looked. Do you have a link or a summary?
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Yes sure, we're not supposed to keep anything secret here right? This is a summary:

"It was a Mulholland Drive screening at The Music Box in Chicago on Thursday night. Rebekah Del Rio (from Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks) was singing before the movie with a mini 6-7 song set. Afterwards, there was a Q&A via written questions accepted throughout the night. I wrote "Do you like Wisteria flowers and have you seen any lately? I heard they are nice this time of year." Emcee said "Oh, this must be a coded question." Rebekah responded (without any other prodding about new content or filming with Lynch) "Well, you know David likes to keep everything quiet, but I can say two words: Rancho Rosa."

Rancho Rosa was the code name title for Twin Peaks Season 3.

There's really only one possibility of what this all means."

A big thankyou to the person who attended and messaged me with this. All I can surmise is that Wisteria and Rancho Rosa are the same thing or very much related.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:24 am Yes sure, we're not supposed to keep anything secret here right? This is a summary:

"It was a Mulholland Drive screening at The Music Box in Chicago on Thursday night. Rebekah Del Rio (from Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks) was singing before the movie with a mini 6-7 song set. Afterwards, there was a Q&A via written questions accepted throughout the night. I wrote "Do you like Wisteria flowers and have you seen any lately? I heard they are nice this time of year." Emcee said "Oh, this must be a coded question." Rebekah responded (without any other prodding about new content or filming with Lynch) "Well, you know David likes to keep everything quiet, but I can say two words: Rancho Rosa."

Rancho Rosa was the code name title for Twin Peaks Season 3.

There's really only one possibility of what this all means."

A big thankyou to the person who attended and messaged me with this. All I can surmise is that Wisteria and Rancho Rosa are the same thing or very much related.
She specifically mentioned Rancho Rosa? That's very interesting. Time for some digging through notes.

Thank you!
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Rancho Rosa submitted a statement of information with zero changes on April 22 2021. This statement is required under California law in odd-numbered years to keep a company active.

It was submitted by David Lynch via electronic signature. Frost remains CEO and secretary of this company while Lynch is CFO.

There have been no organisational changes since the company was registered. Fred Altman (who works on behalf of Frost for other companies) remains registered agent and not Toni Long (who works for Lynch on his companies including A2K and TP Productions. Altman was removed as agent for Twin Peaks Productions around the same time Frost was no longer present in directorship roles.

Note that the assets and set props for The Return are almost certainly owned by Rancho Rosa so there would need to be a legal entity that acts as custodian for these assets regardless of any potential new season. So this new filing does not in any way confirm that they're cooking something up.

They're clearly holding on to them in a warehouse of some kind in LA. And from pictures of props and set dressing I've seen, they're all tagged with archival serial numbers and a Rancho Rosa logo on the tag. So in terms of databasing and coding these assets they're very much keeping up on it.

However, if Rancho Rosa owns the tangible assets, Twin Peaks Productions owns the trademarks. Again, we cannot know whether Frost still has his ownership share in TTP from looking at his absence as director. And he has confirmed in interviews conducted after those changes were filed that he still owns Twin Peaks along wit Lynch. So we can deduce from this statement that he has not yielded his ownership despite Lynch taking over all directorship roles in Twin Peaks Productions and Altman being removed.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Wasn't somebody here saying a while back that they heard through a source that Lynch and Co. were actually working on 2 separate projects, one being unrelated to TP and the other being more of a continuation of TP? I wonder if the Rancho Rosa comment/IG teases of "the story continues", in combination of the canthaveit leaks that the Netflix contract is dead means the non-TP project got put on the backburner in favor of spinning up Twin Peaks? Perhaps Unrecorded Night was more of an experimental/IE type of thing that Netflix was willing to toss a bunch of money at (and Lynch copyrighted scripts for, without any involvement of Frost) and Lynch was planning to be in production on that this whole time but COVID delays and other timing issues (cast members, locations, Frost's involvement) lead to them prioritizing "TP S4" (whatever that means) elsewhere (Paramount+ or Showtime, etc.) and Sabrina and crew are teasing that? Obviously rampant speculation on my part but just trying to parse out the bits of leaks and rumors we're looking at right now.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:47 am Wasn't somebody here saying a while back that they heard through a source that Lynch and Co. were actually working on 2 separate projects, one being unrelated to TP and the other being more of a continuation of TP? I wonder if the Rancho Rosa comment/IG teases of "the story continues", in combination of the canthaveit leaks that the Netflix contract is dead means the non-TP project got put on the backburner in favor of spinning up Twin Peaks? Perhaps Unrecorded Night was more of an experimental/IE type of thing that Netflix was willing to toss a bunch of money at (and Lynch copyrighted scripts for, without any involvement of Frost) and Lynch was planning to be in production on that this whole time but COVID delays and other timing issues (cast members, locations, Frost's involvement) lead to them prioritizing "TP S4" (whatever that means) elsewhere (Paramount+ or Showtime, etc.) and Sabrina and crew are teasing that? Obviously rampant speculation on my part but just trying to parse out the bits of leaks and rumors we're looking at right now.
It was DougieJones who posted that info.

Also, this is almost certainly entirely coincidental, but the day before Mordeen said the chatter had gone quiet and a few days before he posted the out of time, no stars message saw Lynch's song of the day be "Come Together" and all is social media pages along with Sabrina posts pics of Mark Frost. It was June 28.

We know now that the Netflix project probably hit the rocks around that time. So while those two events don't particularly support your hunch, they don't refute it, either.
Last edited by Histeria on Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

HHM had also told me about it. About the 2 projects
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Damnit guys, why is it every time I'm just about to abandon all hope the rumor mill gets another puff of wind :lol:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Soolsma wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:54 pm Damnit guys, why is it every time I'm just about to abandon all hope the rumor mill gets another puff of wind :lol:

But what is the precise constitutution of this puff of wind? Is it merely hot air that we ourselves are having fun producing here on dugpa? What's new? :?: :?: :?:

P.S. This is not a rhetorical question.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Although Rebekah's voice usually strikes me as a hurricane, her ''rancho rosa'' was the puff of wind for me.

As for two projects, I almost always believed Wisteria was not Twin Peaks, and I also never believed the prospect of more Peaks was fully discarded. ''never say never''.
I still have serious doubts if anything really happened on TP.

I personally interpret her comment as such: ''Wisteria is indeed a code name for a Lynch project, like Rancho Rosa was as well"
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

So maybe the best thing right now would be for Lynch to combine the two projects, and put into Twin Peaks season 4 everything Wisteria / Unrecorded Night was supposed to be... I could live with that!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:04 am I think everyone here would like a Twin Peaks Cinematic Universe after the middling response overall to The Return.
I don't know. Could you elaborate on what you mean by "Twin Peaks Cinematic Universe"?