Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by JackwithOneEye »

mojo1976 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:09 am Wasn't there supposed to be an announcement of sorts planned at the 30th/Graceland Twin Peaks fest.? I mean, if they're going to announce something, it's logical to assume it's either another season or a movie. Maybe it was a rumor. That's one of the few things that's kept me on the "something is/was in the works" camp. Not like they're going to announce more craptacular Showtime t-shirts featuring clip-art coffee mugs and mountains. It was such a bizarre thing anyway to move it to Graceland, now corporately owned, nowhere near the Pacific Northwest, have a good line-up of guests, etc. My assumption was that if they did announce another Twin Peaks project, that Elvis or the 1950's would factor into it somehow. If there was a season planned and it was scrapped, I'm sure Lynch could always re-shape it into a feature or something more manageable when the pandemic is under better control. If it's just on hold, then I'm sure he'll figure it all out when he feels it's safe to do so.

I've looked around on the internet for evidence of the announcement at Graceland, as in published verbiage press release or something official from the event about it, and not someone posting on a board heresay about an announcement, but I haven't seen it. I've looked in a few puff piece articles like business wire, I dont see it.

www.graceland.com/TwinPeaks was the convention site, has been taken down. maybe something was on there.

it's possible that Kimmy Robertson may have said something to someone about an announcement, that may be where that stems from, I'm not sure.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Ickles »

Sabrina tweeted this back in Feb 2020: https://twitter.com/sssutherland/status ... 33889?s=20
kingchatterbox

Post by kingchatterbox »

Archive.org has a snapshot:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210130020 ... /twinpeaks

No mention of an announcement though. I can't remember where I heard about that, maybe it was just a rumor?
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

As a ticket holder of the Graceland event, it seemed there was no real point person for the entire weekend, let alone anyone at Graceland that had any clue what a real Twin Peaks fan would be looking for. I really don’t think there was any announcement of anything significant planned. And at least from what I’ve heard, definitely not anything in regard to a Season Four proper.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Did Unrecorded Night jinx itself with its very name? Has it always been doomed to become Unfilmed Script as some sort of cosmic joke?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:27 pm Did Unrecorded Night jinx itself with its very name? Has it always been doomed to become Unfilmed Script as some sort of cosmic joke?
I’m not entirely convinced that this wasn’t always Lynch’s plan. To write the unfilmed anti-movie, as a work of anti-performance art. It would certainly befit the man who had already written possibly the most famous unfilmed movie of all time. Not saying I really believe this, but the title really does beg the question.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Was Unrecorded Night the name of the copyrighted scripts? I can’t even remember where that name first surfaced
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Brad D wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:03 pm Was Unrecorded Night the name of the copyrighted scripts? I can’t even remember where that name first surfaced
Yup! I think the registered script titles may have been where we first saw it? Can’t remember

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebr ... 1250&SID=1

https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebr ... 1315&SID=2
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Yeah, the copyrights are where we first heard the name. canthaveit on reddit had called it Wisteria i think Feb-March of 2020, and the Production Weekly listings initially said Wisteria around Nov of 2020, and then I believe they revised it, and stopped listing it by Feb of 2021.

(If you go back to some old interviews when Lynch was talking about the Maharishi Yogi biography project, he said there's some stories not recorded about his early years, and he was trying to interview people like a 97 year old man who knew Maharshi when he was a student while they were still alive, and it would take him a long time to make, and there would be abstract areas, so I thought for a moment maybe he was bringing that project back. )
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:55 pm
Jasper wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:27 pm Did Unrecorded Night jinx itself with its very name? Has it always been doomed to become Unfilmed Script as some sort of cosmic joke?
I’m not entirely convinced that this wasn’t always Lynch’s plan. To write the unfilmed anti-movie, as a work of anti-performance art. It would certainly befit the man who had already written possibly the most famous unfilmed movie of all time. Not saying I really believe this, but the title really does beg the question.
As far out as it sounds, I think that there's at least a nonzero chance of this.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:55 pm the man who had already written possibly the most famous unfilmed movie of all time.
Ronnie Rocket or One Saliva Bubble? Something else? I'm guessing RR (oh look - almost a TP connection, lol) but not sure.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:55 pm
I’m not entirely convinced that this wasn’t always Lynch’s plan. To write the unfilmed anti-movie, as a work of anti-performance art. It would certainly befit the man who had already written possibly the most famous unfilmed movie of all time.
There was a Croatian director working in the 50's and 60's called Mihovil Pansini who worked exclusively in amature and avantgarde cinema, and one of his main projects was the "antifilm", an idea with which he experimented in many ways. One time he even took a camera and "shot" a film, but without the film tape, so he did not actually shoot anything, in order to create a "pure film" :D

By the way, isn't Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune a much more famous non-filmed project than any of Lynch's unrealized works?
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Yeah, Jodorowsky's Dune, Orson Welles' Hearts of Darkness, Coppola's Megalopolis, Tim Burton's Superman, Kubrick's authentic version of A.I., Napoleon, The Aryan Papers, Howard Stern's Fartman, Martin Scorsese's Dean Martin biopic, I would say are fairly known. and the experimental films George Lucas has talked about making for a few decades.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I was thinking more of truly unfilmed movies, i.e., Dune was ultimately made in some form obviously, albeit by someone else. Yeah, I was thinking of RR. Perhaps not the most famous. Probably depends who you ask. But definitely very high on the list.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I've tried to find evidence of the 'Graceland announcement' and where this came from, seems to have grown out of conjecture from threads like this one.

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p123446

seems CBS sent cease and desists (?) to fan run events in the UK and WA, so as to have their own an official one, and people reasoned, well they must be using it to announce something.

and as time went on, people were convinced Showtime said there was an announcement. all the PR i've looked at though just lists panels, autographs, the VR experience ,damn fine coffee etc.