Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by underthefan »

Oh God, I hope not! Lol. In any case, I don't think Netflix would go for that.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jonah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:52 am
krishnanspace wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:47 am
Jonah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:37 am Oh, the Mauve Room. Of course - I didn't think about that. And I checked the defintiion of mauve which is "a pale purple colour". No idea if it's a clue, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more Lynch "shenanigans" (lol) set in such a place.

The purple see leads to the FIreman's place, the possible origin of all in Twin Peaks world and perhaps other Lynch worlds too.
Lynch did say in the BTS for season 3 , that he wants to dream more about the Fireman’s palace
Oh, yes, I remember that!
krishnanspace wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:48 am
Jonah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:46 am I was reading @fatecolossal's posts again and something occurred to me. They were discussing how Showtime announced The Return a year before production began, but also noted the delays and dispute. Does Netflix typically announce a show BEFORE it begins production or after? Or is there no pattern?
Netflix did release a teaser for Stranger things 4, before the production began. Recently they also released a teaser for the new show from the creators of dark
Interesting. So have they had shows in production for awhile or even fully filmed before announcing them too?
The show from darks creators has just started production
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

But what I mean is have they kept things quiet before announcing - i.e., gone into production before ever announcing a project?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Jonah wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:02 am But what I mean is have they kept things quiet before announcing - i.e., gone into production before ever announcing a project?
They did with the Breaking Bad spin-off.

Anyway, I'm not sure prior Netflix behaviour is a good barometer here. They're buying a show from Lynch and Frost (assuming the broadcaster hasn't been switched) who have famously kept a very firm grip of all aspects of production and administration.

They get distribution rights to the finished series and Lynch agrees to certain stipulations and contractually equirements (like 4K deliverables) but everything else stays pretty much in-house until the final cut is delivered to the station. If Lynch says no trailers and there will be no trailers. It's rather unique how the authorship, the production studio, and the IP ownership are all held by the two men who write/direct/showrun.

But I don't think they'll chose not to annouce anything.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I know but what was pointed out on @fatecolossal's thread was The Return was announced a year before production began but in this case if production really is beginnign next week (and it's not all bs) but no announcement has been made, it's very different this time around. People did point out that it could be due to the delay and dispute last time or just how Netflix works (or the recent rumours are untrue which is very likely too in which case the distinction doesn't matter or exist).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Also, I'd imagine they wouldn't want to announce anything which was ij a precarious position and may not even get through to production.

Wise, given the pandemic and the shenanigans that followed The Return's announcement.

Once they're shooting then it has to be a catastrophic reason for it to be scraped.

Especially when the contracts for this would be different to something like Glow which I assume Netflix has a stake in IP-wise.

With Twin Peaks they'd be buying distribution to a single entry. Not sure how contracts work for that case but I'd imagine there are provisions that stop the broadcaster from cancelling the contract mid-production after the production company has already put millions of dollars into it and actors have committed their schedules to it.

With a series like Glow the contracts are different because it's a recurring series that the actors were already contracted for and because a third season becomes significantly more expensive to maintain casts for. The sunk costs are clear and the opportunity costs are also clear. With Lynch it's different. They're buying a completed product not ordering the production of one.
Last edited by Histeria on Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Yes, that's very true too. Still not sure where I land on the recent rumours, though - I'm going back and forth on them being real or nonsense.
dustoff
Roadhouse Member

Post by dustoff »

underthefan wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:57 am Oh God, I hope not! Lol. In any case, I don't think Netflix would go for that.
They might! Soderbergh shot High Flying Bird (a Netflix production) with an iPhone 8.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

dustoff wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:42 am
underthefan wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:57 am Oh God, I hope not! Lol. In any case, I don't think Netflix would go for that.
They might! Soderbergh shot High Flying Bird (a Netflix production) with an iPhone 8.
Yep. But Netflix acquired the film long after it was done shooting.

Still, not impossible. And iPhones are used for specific shots in many a blockbuster film.

A whole flagship prestige event series, though? Hmm..
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I wouldn't manage my expectations too much by generalizing how Netflix manages it's output. I think they're quite versatile and in a position that allows them to be. It might just be the company that gives David everything he wants regarding secrecy. This thing will probably market itself just fine, with someone as renowned as Lynch. I mean, it already is: the tiniest rumors set the internet haywire.
Last edited by Soolsma on Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Catching up on the last few pages and don’t mean to go off topic, but I just wanted to say I’ve always enjoyed Mordeen’s posts, and it’s really not for others to decide what information a poster should share and in what form they should do it. If you don’t really care for what’s being discussed in a thread, there’s ample opportunity to move the conversation in a different direction and see if others respond or post on other threads that are of interest to you. I feel like I am probably repeating what others have already posted, but just wanted to throw in my two cents. I think it will help when there’s a definitive announcement as to whether something is happening or not, but until then, I think people should feel free to speculate in whatever way they choose. My post isn’t meant to attack or criticize anyone as I enjoy everyone’s contributions even if I don’t always agree with them — I just don’t like it when others are told what they should or shouldn’t post when what they’re discussing is relevant to the thread.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:33 pm
Histeria wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:53 pm
Mr. Reindeer wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:47 pm

I’ll just add my voice to say that I find the endless pages of speculation about riddles that ultimately lead to vague, arguably meaningless “clues” exhausting, to the point where I’ve basically given up on reading this thread beyond a brief skim here and there. And I respectfully disagree that Mordeen has Arbogast status, because Arbogast provided tangible straightforward information.

Not suggesting either way whether or not a new thread needs to be started or whatever. Obviously a lot of people enjoy this stuff, so fine. But not everyone is into it.

That’s my piece.
What hadn't been straightforward? Almost all of them have been clarified and right guesses have been confirmed.

What did you expect, a shot list?
I don’t want to keep talking about this either, but I feel the need to clarify what I meant. It’s not the ciphers (or whatever) themselves I was referring to in my post. What I meant is that the clues themselves, even once decoded, are vague and meaningless, almost like a horoscope that can apply to anyone (“You will experience change today”). It’s just random phrases that can be interpreted and debated any which way like a Rorschach test, and that leads to more endless pages of baseless speculation. The only solid pieces of information I can recall coming out of all this is that something is happening, it may take place partly in the 1950s, and now maybe something isn’t happening (which Brad said ages ago, in much more direct fashion, and people shit on him for it). I just see no real upside to pages and pages of trying to interpret vague phrases and quotes from the show.

Again, no offense meant to those who enjoy such things. I’ve avoided commenting up until now (I think). But I felt the need to respond to your comment that “Everyone has already said Mordeen is welcome on this thread.” Several people don’t love the direction that the thread has taken, and I felt the need to point out that “everyone” is a bit of an overstatement.

Which is not to say the Mordeen is unwelcome or that I want to police the board or this thread. Just that not “everyone” is thrilled with the games which amount to no real info ultimately and take up so much space.

I’ll also admit that I was one of the people who voted for threads to be permitted to go off topic back when the board was super slow and Jerry asked. So call me a hypocrite. Again, not saying I need this stuff in a different thread or whatever. Just felt the need to voice my opinion that it bores me and several others, to contradict your “everyone” generalization.
Please forgive me but I'm being dragged back into this discussion.

Today is a new day, I'm letting this discussion go as well. I said Everyone. And I mean't everyone. A few weeks ago, Erumbs voiced his frustration with Mordeen already. At that time everyone informed erumbs how Mordeen is welcome here. I used everyone for that. Now it appears not everyone....way to show where you stand. You clarify it as just the answer to the clues are boring for you.

The good news is you guys are not running this board that you seem the need to protect. Go create a thread that is more to your liking.

I still find it quite rude how you feel this is your thread to decide what is discussed by whom. You say that's not what you want but in essence your precious thread doesn't always suit your palette and you voiced how it bores you.

How would you like it if members felt your posts were too exhausting and people replying to your posts were sent to a different thread? You said you find the riddles boring. What if I find your posts boring what then? You, enumbs, pinky, meta seem to want your own thread without the riddles, go make one. This one has riddles.

Lastly Mr Reindeer you've forgot to mention perhaps the biggest clue Mordeen gave us....How bout the POC?

I'm done with this discussion. Mordeen and the talks remain.

I regret getting involved yesterday. I won't make that mistake today. This will be my last post on the topic. I needed to clarify the EVERYONE I said to Reindeer apparently.

I apologize for my role in this but felt I should say something. I realize now that was wrong and I should have just let it go like I did weeks ago when Erumbs was rude to Mordeen before....I hope EVERYONE realizes Mordeen quit Dugpa a few weeks back because of Erumbs comments (and the race talk). Thankfully he changed his mind. I got involved because I don't want people quitting because of other peoples rude opinions.

haters are always going to hate

again apologies to all involved even those with a different view to mine.

Let's all enjoy the thread and feel welcome...
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Grrr. Please don’t put words in my mouth. Maybe try quoting.

I never said “nothing is happening…” because I don’t know anything for certain! I had one piece of failed casting, and three or four cast members at this point who have recently told me they haven’t heard anything. Yes, people are posting purple emojis and cryptic stuff and Reddit people went on tinder dates with people who are working on season four next week… but I need *much* more to be convinced. It’s not like arbogast rose from the dead and has confirmed anything.

That’s it. That’s all.

I still say TP4 seems impossible, and a Lynch anthology series is more likely.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Thanks for weighing in, Brad. So was the person you previously mentioned as having been contacted the one who ended up as the failed casting? Hmm. Wonder why if so. Also, and I don't suppose you can answer this one, but were any of the people who said they hadn't heard anything also posting wisteria flowers on social media - was there any overlap there? No worries if you can't answer these things.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

It was a scheduling conflict, but this is over a year old, so, if this is a thing, they could still be doing it I suppose.

One instance of overlap…

Nothing else to say on the matter. You guys have fun but please take insults, attacks, and political stuff elsewhere