Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Histeria »

underthefan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:10 am Just stopping by to say that David Lynch's recent visits to Fotokem are most likely in connection to the new Mulholland Drive scan for its Cannes screening (rather than Inland Empire Criterion release or anything related to his presumed new project). A collector Blu-Ray UHD box set will follow the theatrical re-release.

Source:

https://m.festival-cannes.com/en/infos- ... -selection
Oh man that's fantastic news. Thanks for sharing!

Please include subtitles/closed captions this time. The literature has moved on and this ain't the 00s anymore.

Edit: wait hadn't Criterion and Fotokem already done this for the original Criterion release?

https://www.criterion.com/films/28050-mulholland-dr

I think they may be referring to this ^
Cannes wrote:Presented by Studiocanal. Restoration made by Criterion and Studiocanal from the original negative, scan in 4K at Fotokem, sound remastering from the original 5.1 sound. Sound and image were validated by David Lynch, in Cinéma and HDR format. French distribution by Studiocanal, with a theatrical release and a collector Blu-Ray UHD box set.
Criterion wrote:New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director David Lynch and director of photography Peter Deming, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
They already have a 4K transfer and I find it hard to imagine they'd do that all over again for a 4K/HDR encode.

Would be very happy to be wrong on this one, though. If they do it it must be worthwhile.
Last edited by Histeria on Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Meh. Constant re-releases of the same old same old stuff. Ad infinitum.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

I must have missed the 4K HDR release of Mulholland Drive.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Well it's not like an upgrade from VHS to BluRay or HD or something. And the content - the most important thing, for me, at least - is the same. But hey, to each their own.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I expect a theatrical release would require different technical specs. Or it could be just for tweaks and adjustments, quality control, etc. Of course, it could also be a fully new scan though I'm not sure that would be necessary unless Lynch insisted upon it.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Agent Earle wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:40 am Well it's not like an upgrade from VHS to BluRay or HD or something. And the content - the most important thing, for me, at least - is the same. But hey, to each their own.
Sure but I just don't get the issue with more versions of the same thing because in my mind

a) it doesn't take away resources from anything "new" and many times actually helps get "new" content off the ground
b) it's not taking away anything from those who opt not to buy it so it's like it never existed anyway to those who aren't interested in paying for it.
c) aids the preservation and restoration of art

I'm not trying to argue, I genuinely would like to understand the opposition these things often get. I'm sure you have good reasons to be wary of them that I hadn't considered.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I'd think Lynch's main interest is in the Cannes screening and 4K is mostly its byproduct. Fwiw I'd be interested in it and I would buy it.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Remastered sound for MD huh. I wonder if they try and fix some of that horrible obviously fake soundstaging for some of the early exterior scenes. (though actually I have grown accustomed to it)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Histeria wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:16 am That would be far less likely than Coop tbh.

The show ended and is being quietly scrubbed from the MCU canon with each new show/film. He died in the earlier seasons anyway.

It was only ever half-heartedly MCU and each season saw it drift further away from overt MCU connections as the writers found it difficult to juggle their own episodes and a decade-long MCU arc in which films wouldn't Everard kindly enough to fit into the TV season.

Then again, there were rumours it might be revived (and done properly this time re:MCU status. They've gone quite recently though.
Speaking of Marvel, technically Agent Cooper exists in their comics universe. Although never shown, the X-Factor character Valerie Cooper alluded to her cousin having "weird FBI adventures" in the early 90s...
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

I'm pretty sure this is the same 4K master that was made a few years ago and was the source for recent Blu-Rays. The 4K DCP is not new and has been screened theatrically quite a bit already, but Cannes are just holding a screening to mark the 20th anniversary. Chances are Lynch was overseeing something else at Fotokem.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I could imagine Lynch supervising a HDR grade though
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Metamorphia wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:45 am I could imagine Lynch supervising a HDR grade though
And it would fit being there for a day as that surely wouldn't take too long. He also walked past color correction.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

That press release specifically mentions work on theatrical and HDR formats. I'd be willing to bet that's what he was working on at Fotokem recently but take it for what you will.
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Yeah the FotoKem and Cannes things seem to fit rather well.

Laura Harring is back on set today. I remember there being speculation on her having a role in UN before I joined this site.

And for what it's worth, Kyle's insta Q&A is scheduled for right after David's numbers video so we won't have to wait too long between ruling out stuff today.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Kind of surprised the Laura Harring thing isn't being talked about more in the usual haunts (no fatecolossal thread or reddit posts, etc.) Her post about being on set was purposely vague in terms of what project she's working on, which leads me to believe it's something bigger and she's sworn to secrecy, if it was something like the Gossip Girl re-boot or something that's already been announced I feel like she'd just come out and say it. She also hasn't really done anything in a while (last screen credit is 2019) to the point where it seems like she might only "come out of retirement" for something like a David Lynch thing. When I saw that scrolling through IG last night I definitely raised an eyebrow. Of course, cut to a year later and it turns out it was like a new "The Thinning" movie or something but I'm desperate for crumbs right now so I'll take it!