Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

that's a good interview with the high school kid. I remember him being tepid to ask about Toto / Dune, and Lynch was fine with talking about Toto, think he said "they were a great bunch"

I think the phrase he used was something like "I can't say for sure but I probably would have been working on a feature or a continuing story" (if there was no pandemic)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:42 pm that's a good interview with the high school kid. I remember him being tepid to ask about Toto / Dune, and Lynch was fine with talking about Toto, think he said "they were a great bunch"
That was my favorite part! Really sweet.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I don't know what to think frankly, but the burden of proof is for someone to show me evidence that this is a Twin Peaks continuation.

I have yet to see such evidence.

But I am still hopeful that it is Peaks or a spinoff. I just don't see the evidence yet.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
David Lich
Roadhouse Member

Post by David Lich »

Stavrogyn wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:55 am There is one thing no one seems to be mentioning that keeps ominously hanging over our heads, and turning into a giant elephant in the room: what if Unrecorded Night really turns out to be a completely original series, a great one, and we end up loving it?

I'm dreading the moment a few years from today when people ask me what are my favorite TV series, and I have to tell them that the first two spots are both reserved for shows created by David Lynch. Don't you see, if this is not the fourth season of Twin Peaks, we won't be highbrow anymore; in the eyes of others we will simply look like Lynch fanboys! And desperately trying to explain: "No, I'm not a fanboy, these two shows really are the best thing to ever grace TV screens!" won't help either.

For that reason alone we should all hope and pray that this mysterious project turns out to be Twin Peaks.
I cant see any proof that the rumored Lynch project is TP related, not ONE solid proof, or even a serious hint. The only thing We know is that he copyrighted 13 scripts for a series with the Titles: Wisteria (workin title) /Unrecorded Night.
I hope that the project gets made, and I prefer it to be an ALL Original New Work. If it is TP related in any form, I'll welcome it, but I prefer that Lynch makes something other.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Lynch mentioning working on a 'continuing story' is most definitely a serious hint that Twin Peaks figures in this equation.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

NormoftheAndes wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:54 pm Lynch mentioning working on a 'continuing story' is most definitely a serious hint that Twin Peaks figures in this equation.
Lynch refers to the medium of TV series as continuing stories. All series, so it doesn't mean that its Twin Peaks. He doesn't literally mean a story continuing on from one he's told. A brand new series he would also call a continuing story.
Cde.
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cde. »

LateReg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:28 pm
NormoftheAndes wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:54 pm Lynch mentioning working on a 'continuing story' is most definitely a serious hint that Twin Peaks figures in this equation.
Lynch refers to the medium of TV series as continuing stories. All series, so it doesn't mean that its Twin Peaks. He doesn't literally mean a story continuing on from one he's told. A brand new series he would also call a continuing story.
Lynch has said before that Twin Peaks season 3, despite having been released in parts, is not a continuing story, it's a film. He's said that a continuing story is a thing where you can look at one complete part and then imagine the following part. So, 'Twin Peaks' in its entirety is a continuing story, the original TV show was a continuing story, but 'The Return', like Fire Walk With Me, is a part of the whole that was made from a beginning to end script, as a film.

It's curious to me to think why he would think of Unrecorded Night as a continuing story, if it already has 13 episodes planned and to some extent written out. It sounds like it's to be shot like a film, so if it's part of a continuing story, perhaps that is because it's another part to Twin Peaks. Perhaps it's because UN is something Lynch plans in the future to continue, via more seasons. If so I think that's optimistic, as I doubt he has many more major productions left in him, but you can't knock him for having vision. Or perhaps Lynch is just being loose with his own definition of 'continuing story', and decided a TV show shot as a film but released as a series, is a one after all. As he himself said, "I'm not so good with words."
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Am loving the number of weeks of discussion we've managed to extract from the same small crumbs of info :D

If I had to bet money, I'd still say that there is something happening, but it's not TP-related. That might just be me managing expectations though.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:42 pm
Mordeen wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:00 pm

If it was a "Trent Reznor Score" I'd like to hope it would be better than Danny Elfman's attempt at going from pop culture irrelevance into mass market musical scoring.
I mean, Reznor’s “attempt” to move into film scoring has already happened, many years ago. He has over a half dozen high-profile scores under his belt, with three Oscar nominations and two wins, as well as an Emmy. I’m talking just about scores, not songs written for films. That doesn’t mean you have to like his work, but it’s not some hypothetical thing. I don’t get why you keep acting like he’s never scored a movie before and the only thing he can be evaluated on is his NIN work, and in particular one song that appeared in TP.

I’m not even saying I would want Reznor to score Unrecorded Night, just questioning why it’s SUCH a deal breaker for you that you’d boycott a potential fourth season of a show you’re passionate about based solely on the person composing the score. That’s just such an odd stance to take, and I’m genuinely curious about it. Like, I’m not crazy about Hans Zimmer or Thomas Newman. But if Lynch chose one of them to score a film, I sure as hell wouldn’t refuse to watch it.

(And, full disclosure, I like Elfman. Both his scores—the earlier ones anyway—and Oingo Boingo.)
If I had to choose someone other than Badalamenti (not hard considering Lynch completely wasted him on The Return) it would be a struggle because I just don't think there anyone out there with the depth to pull it off organically.
I love Angelo and always am up for him working with Lynch. But he’s not the only talented film composer working today. It really depends on the tone Lynch is going for, and his vision. Even if this show is indeed Peaks, a continuation of Part 18 (or some other weird unpredictable thing Lynch comes up with) could be very tonally different from everything that has come before and might require a different mood. And again, I’m not even at all convinced that Unrecorded Night/Wisteria is Peaks. Are you? (That’s a sincere question.)
I referenced Danny Elfman's attempt at being good, and stated that a hypothetical Trent Reznor score for a Twin Peaks project would be better than Danny Elfman's work. If that wasn't clear, that's on you.

Oscars? Whoopdeedoo. Emmys? Same. Self congratulatory organizations' awards ceremonies don't shape my opinions, and neither do people who try to explain things to me like I'm ignorant of of theirs. I've made it clear that it's my opinion and I don't get involved in arguing other people's opinions because that's pointless and a bit insulting. People can like or dislike whatever they want. Mine has no greater value than anyone's and vice versa.

Why would you even want to change my mind? Weird.

But sincerely, thanks for letting me know that there are other talented composers out there. I really had no idea...

No apologies for my snark. Idle news is the devil's playground in this forum, time and time again.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Just caught up on this thread...I'm surprised nobody here mentioned that Sherilyn Fenn just signed with a new talent agency. It's probably completely unrelated to whatever this new Lynch project may or may not be. Maybe she's just trying to get some acting jobs, though I seem to remember that she said she was done with acting a few years ago.
https://deadline.com/2021/06/sherilyn-f ... 234769178/
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

She's been acting pretty consistently for years, both before and after The Return. Plenty of credits on IMDB. Some are smaller parts, some are guest spots, but she always seems to be busy. Pretty impressive amount of credits. As for her signing with the new talent agency, I'm not sure if this could be related to Unrecorded Night or not, but it's definitely interesting. Thanks for sharing the link.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:36 am
EDIT: Oh, there was that one Reddit guy whose info matched the PW listing, right? I think that arguably makes him credible.
Unless those two pieces of information were submitted by the same individual. Where I am on the spectrum personally, is that I think that there definitely is a new Lynch production happening (key piece of evidence is that Sutherland stated that they would have been in production on something if not for the pandemic-delay), but I don't think it has ever had anything to do with Netflix, and I don't think it was ever called "Wisteria"
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

eyeboogers wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:18 amWhere I am on the spectrum personally, is that I think that there definitely is a new Lynch production happening (key piece of evidence is that Sutherland stated that they would have been in production on something if not for the pandemic-delay), but I don't think it has ever had anything to do with Netflix, and I don't think it was ever called "Wisteria"
Personally, with apologies to Plato and/or Socrates, all I know is that I don't know shit from Shinola.

Cde. wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:49 pm Perhaps it's because UN is something Lynch plans in the future to continue, via more seasons.
UN? Are we there already? :lol:

Is this the first instance of UN on the forum?
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Jasper wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:43 am Personally, with apologies to Plato and/or Socrates, all I know is that I don't know shit from Shinola.
Haha, nice! I wish I could have lived in those times, and hanged around with those guys, just drinking wine, strolling around, and endlessly discussing truth, beauty, and everything else you could think of (because that's what classical antiquity was all about).

Next to MCU, PDU (Plato Dialectic Universe) is the best franchise there is.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jasper wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:43 am
Cde. wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:49 pm Perhaps it's because UN is something Lynch plans in the future to continue, via more seasons.
UN? Are we there already? :lol:

Is this the first instance of UN on the forum?
I do believe so!