Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mordeen »

There is clarity in the fog if one choose to focus on the tangible. Speculation coupled with desire allows the mind to wander into the realm of pareidolia.

They say you can't see the forest for the trees, and this is often true here. You could see a man, in a suit, in an office, and know he's Dale Cooper. Or you could be Philip Jeffries, and question who he is. Or perhaps question if Philip Jeffries was ever there at all.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I'm not an expert on Lynch/Frost relations but I am also under the impression that they are not necessarily truly great friends, and have more of a friendly working relationship when the need arises. So their possible lack of communication over the past few years does not bother me.

As far as whether they are divided artistically, I believe they always have been, and that Frost knew what he was getting himself into with The Return based on Lynch's most recent output, which Frost himself had infamously commented on (Mulholland Drive). If he wasn't down with Richard and Linda then I would also have to think that he also wasn't down with plenty of other elements in The Return, yet at the same time I have to believe that he was down with the fragmentation, dead ends, and altogether vague aspects of the narrative, as he himself promoted some of them in his book. He had also said that he felt they could change TV again, which points to him understanding the experimental nature of the narrative as well as Lynch's methods. Perhaps he didn't like Richard and Linda because they suddenly appeared at the end of the story, but again, wouldn't you think that Frost liked the end of the story since he talks about it so much in interviews? So what specific element of Richard and Linda did he not like? Just that their names were changed from Cooper and Diane?

Lastly, as far as the Zoom meeting, I personally would not use that as evidence of WHAT SPECIFICALLY is happening. It's fun to speculate, but just because certain people weren't involved doesn't mean that they weren't there earlier or later or on a different day.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

My behind the scenes comment from a little while back pertains to many things, including the Lynch/Frost dynamic, and things unsaid in public about why Frost stopped attending the shoots early on.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

C'mon, Mordeen, you're killin' us here, man! :)
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Frost was in the red room, and I’m pretty sure the sd police office? And both were in LA
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

The generic adjective I'll apply is "rocky."

I'm doing the best I can due to things that went down during the great Spoiler Crusade that not only started a witch hunt and got an entire thread here deleted, but caused friends and sources to become suspicious about whether or not things said in confidence were being leaked by proxies, and promises were made to stay quiet.

I still maintain some very close ties to people on multiple levels and saying anything specific at this point would very likely be tied to one particular source or another and then things become complicated for me because I've never bothered trying to be anonymous and folks would know who is leaking stuff.

So I may be hiding things in plain sight, but you would need the cypher.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I misspoke by saying early on, the proper statement should have been "Stopped attending the majority of the shoots." Andy Hazel (I hope I'm remembering his name correctly, sorry if I'm not) asked him a question on my behalf based upon something I was told about and it was confirmed by his answer.

- Mordeen

Edited to follow up: Frost revealed that he only attended around 30% of the location shoots.
Moving Through Time. . .
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

End of the day - Frost was not the director. I would have loved The Return to be directed equally by the two of them though. What happened then is just gossip and not very interesting.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

[quote="NormoftheAndes"]End of the day - Frost was not the director. I would have loved The Return to be directed equally by the two of them though. What happened then is just gossip and not very interesting.[/quote]

I agree.

30% is actually a decent amount for a writer, co-exec producer. cant realistically expect him to punch a clock every day just to watch gaffers and grips do their job. it can be tedious to be on a set too long if you don't have an assigned task.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I beg to differ that everything that happened then was just gossip. Information shared between onlookers and fans could be tainted by gossip. Information told directly by people involved or witnessed first hand is hardly gossip.

But it's certainly up to you to decide what you find interesting.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

@NormoftheAndes: Unless it feeds into whatever's going on right now...
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

To aks as bluntly as I can, Mordeen: IS something going on right now?
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

100% possible unrecorded wisteria is being locked down because of the leaks, twitter, photos, videos, onlookers, fans,
subsequent TMZ in 2015-16.

the breaking bad pinkman movie was done fairly on the down low.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Thanks for sharing what you can Mordeen, for most of us the behind the scenes happenings is of great interest, also because of how it impacted the artwork (Lynch doing the final batch of writing without Frost's involvement). I have been very surprised by Sabrina Sutherland diminishing Frost's contributions to "The Return" and in general seeming very cold whenever the topic comes up. To an outsider it seems like Mark was given a bit of a raw deal - especially since he took the initiative for the continuation, but then we don't know what might have soured things.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

All due respect, but the “high school gossip” angle isn’t all that interesting to me, especially when it’s shrouded in vagaries with no solid facts or anecdotes. But if others enjoy that kind of thing, all good. Mark has said he was off set for that period because he was writing the book, which certainly checks out timing-wise. Anyone who has written anything should understand that a 360-page book (especially one involving a ton of historical research) doesn’t write itself. Both Lynch and Frost have said Lynch sent Frost every script change for approval. The fact that he didn’t “get” Richard and Linda doesn’t mean there is some deep seated resentment. He’s not sure what Lynch’s intent was, but he approved it, so he clearly isn’t super offended by it or anything. It’s not like he said, “That was awful and David betrayed the story by doing that.” All he said was that he as a viewer was unsure what David intended. I’ll say the same about all of Eraserhead, and that’s one of my favorite movies of all time.