Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Krishnanspace:

It seems the board won’t let me quote you right now.

But I’m pretty sure the new “Snyder cut” scene was shot all in the studio against green screen. I’m not sure why you think it was directed remotely? I’ve seen photos of Snyder in the studio with almost all the actors in the scene (albeit not all at once due to scheduling conflicts).

I’m fairly certain Lynch would never want to direct remotely. He needs to be in the space with the actors, feeding off their mood and talking them through it face to face.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I’ve read that Ezra miller wasn’t even on set for the new scenes. I agree that Lynch always wants to put his actors into a certain mood and that would require him to be physically present with the actors. But now given the covid situation and lynchs age, it would be safer for him to be remote.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

My level of Covid fatigue for anything and everything is pretty much at 1000000 at this point.

Productions are resuming for filmmakers who are willing to pursue their art. The industry (mainly the distributors) are the enemy of that at this point.

Things are happening.

It's on.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Hmm maybe Miller wasn’t on set. But pretty much everyone else was based on the set photos. Certainly, things can be directed remotely, but it’s no one’s preferred way of doing things.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

"Beeutiful. #wisteria" - Kyle MacLachlan

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM_YAe1JZzt ... 9zjnefnacw
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

:shock:

Alright, that has got my attention!
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Good to have the forum back. Especially after the Kyle post. David Lynch Theatre (run by Sabrina I believe) liked the post. Something is definitely brewing. It remains to be seen if it is Peaks related or not.

At this stage, it would be cruel if it wasn't.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Damn good coffee! And HOT!
Last edited by Agent Earle on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Thank you for getting the forum back up and running, dugpa! We appreciate everything you do for our little community.

I suppose it's possible that Wisteria isn't related to Twin Peaks... but my God, at this point, there has been so much indicating that it is.

April 8 would be a good date for an announcement, 31 years after the premiere.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

At this point, I just hope they hurry up and announce it. Think it'll be better for everyone's sake to know for sure if it's Peaks or something new, just so we can set our expectations. Though, I wouldn't be shocked if they're holding off announcements explicitly because of what happened last time (the whole 'Lynch is stepping down from the show' thing), on top of the extra uncertainty cause of the Covid.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Post by ManBehindWinkies »

The only example I can think of where there was a franchise type project where the fact that it was an installment of an existing franchise was kept secret, as though it's a plot twist, is M. Night Shyamalan's "Split". I'm guessing Lynch would not share Shyamalan's motivations for doing the same thing. Probably not a good idea to try to speculate about Lynch's motivations in any conventional terms, but I'd imagine if Lynch did want to do something similar it would come at the chagrin of the people in charge of marketing the thing, as the entire reason franchise installments are so popular these days is because they are easier to market.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I sort of felt like “stealth sequels” would be more of a thing. But TV Tropes doesn’t list many particularly compelling examples in film or television: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... althSequel

And I’m having a tough time thinking of many. I’m really surprised this hasn’t happened more often.

I still think it would be really cool (although a little less cool if we’re all hoping for it/looking for clues in advance, as opposed to if it was somehow just a complete surprise, like if INLAND EMPIRE had turned out to be Peaks-adjacent at the top of hour three).

I’m still leaning toward “not Peaks at all,” but a very close second is “likely won’t present as Peaks at first, but will eventually turn out to be Peaks-adjacent.” Think TR if it had been titled something else, and if it started out with just glass box, Buckhorn mystery, etc. etc. without showing any established characters for the first few episodes.

Whatever it is, I really hope Lynch will insist on dropping episodes weekly as opposed to dumping a whole series at once. Netlix seems more open to that now, and it’s so important to let individual episodes percolate for a week.

Also, thanks for all your hard work, dugpa!
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

i like how Danger Man/ The Prisoner on the stealth sequel list on that TV tropes website...
similarly, some people also theorize The Equalizer in the 80's to be a continuation of the british series Callan from the 60's.
i also just realized recently The XYY Man is the same universe as the Strangers/Bulman on british tv.
I hadn't known about the Murder She Wrote episode being a sequel to film noir.

I'd long thought DL may wanna start over new idea/ new mystery,
but the Kyle Maclachlan instagram post with the hashtag is certainly eyebrow raising.

a show about Richard and Linda and Carrie Page that is TP adjacent could be pretty interesting.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The Danger Man/Prisoner thing caught my eye as well! Perhaps the most debated “maybe-sequel?” in history.

Even if Kyle is in it, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s Peaks. Kyle’s played two non-Peaks characters for Lynch. Dern has played four characters for him (five? six? However many in INLAND EMPIRE, however many Dianes). Nance played seven Lynch characters, Harry Dean played six, Freddie Jones played five. He likes to work with actors (and crew!) again and again, and he and Kyle clearly rekindled a rapport during the intense shoot of TR. There’s no reason to think Kyle is playing Coop, as opposed to an entirely new creation inspired by something DKL saw in him (just as he played at least four completely original “characters” distinct from Classic Cooper during the span of TR).
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Suppose this does not turn out to be Twin Peaks , do you guys think we may get more twin peaks after this thing ? I mean Wisteria won’t be coming out until 2022. So does Twin peaks have a future after 2022?