Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Stavrogyn wrote:
I don't want to be too negative, but I have been hearing similar complaints my whole life regarding art I enjoy, and it just frustrates me. I especially don't like it when people complain that something is "boring", like boredom isn't a valid human emotion, and like everything has to be "fun" or "entertaining". The only thing I hear about Marcel Proust, whom I greatly admire and consider my favorite author, is that he's "boring", which yes, he is, but that is not the point; great art isn't supposed to merely be "fun", and I don't understand why so many people tend to think it should be.

Sorry for this petit rant, and going even further off-topic, but I enjoy the discussion we're having here.
I agree with this 100% Stavrogyn. I love ' Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels' by Chantal Ackerman. It's boring for sure, and bound to disappoint if you're expecting Hitchcock, and I've heard people rant about how horrible it is, but if you take it in as a meditative experience, and consider all the things it's deliberately saying by having you experiencing time unfolding in an endless progression of laborious household tasks the way that the character does, it's quite a work of art to behold.

For me, the Dougie stuff works as a counterbalance to Mr C, and obviously I feel the absence of Cooper and wanting Cooper to wake up, but isn't feeling the lack and loss of Cooper 's warmth and missing his personality and humanity throughout, part of the whole point of the work.
johndaker
Roadhouse Member

Post by johndaker »

Stavrogyn wrote:The only thing I hear about Marcel Proust, whom I greatly admire and consider my favorite author, is that he's "boring", which yes, he is
No, he isn't! Or at any rate, he doesn't have to be. As a huge fan of both Akerman and Proust, I wouldn't put them in the same category re: boredom at all. Akerman, like many other practitioners of "slow cinema," did indeed use boredom as a feature. I don't think Proust does at all. I can honestly say I read every page of the Recherche and never once experienced boredom, whereas almost every Akerman feature (and I've seen most of them) bored me at one point or another—usually, but not always, in a good way. The experience of watching Akerman's Proust adaptation is radically different from the experience of reading Proust, in part due to their very different approaches to boredom and narrative propulsion.

Not a moment of The Return was boring to me, not even the broom.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I adore Jeanne Dielman. I loved S3. I understand why it wasn't for everyone. But I also grew up watching the TP/China Beach block as a child, an ABC Primetime kid, and the show and that period has been very dear to me since then on a very personal level. I also grew up watching Lynch's later works, right up through Inland Empire, and that long string of work always meant a lot to me too. That's not to say that someone with an identical life experience can't come away feeling differently than me about S3, but I will say that as a kid who kept the original series in his heart all these decades I was able to accept S3 for what it was both as a part of the original TP/FWWM and also along the track of Lynch's later work. I understand if someone else doesn't.

Mostly I just wanted to comment to say I loved Jeanne Dielman tho lol
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

yeah, I remember China Beach on ABC. Twin Peaks was the highlight of my life in 1990-91. I got DL's autograph in 1997 and asked him if if there'd be another Peaks movie, and DL said to me "I wish"

I thought the Return was another great life experience. It's sorta meant to be frustrating getting hit with all that Dougie for an hour episode week after week. It can be frustrating to get hit with hours of Jeannie Dielmann doing housework too. Filmmaker is the master of time and duration though and shouldn't be your servant. To me it all works, considering Cooper was always Mr C more than he realizes, I appreciate the Innocence/ experience split up more that I re watch it, and so wonderful to have little bits of side commentary - watching the box and nothing happening, Beverly's husband being ill , Audrey stuck in that house wanting to leave, all of the little anxieties having similarities to the main play.

Cooper dismissively says "you didn't love her anyway" to Bobby in the pilot in a Mr C sorta way, he shows the videotape of the picnic to him, knowing he may be setting up a brawl between Bobby and Laura's secret boyfriend. The way he smirks and acts with glee, uncovering Laura's secrets with the cocaine, the drug money etc, indicates he does enjoy the pain and suffering of others to a degree. We contain multitudes.

If we did have a full-on Cooper and Mr C plotting against each other Return, might verged on more of a Windom Earle cat and mouse type thing. There's cool narrative stuff you could do with it for sure, Mr C pretending to be Cooper and whatnot. But I dunno, I'm so glad we got the show that Lynch dreamed of making.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I remember really not wanting to see an evil Cooper confused as good Cooper plot. It would have been very tiresome, and well-trodden. I wasn't thrilled about 16 hours of Dougie, and it was torture every week waiting for Cooper to come back (or indeed for the plot to be advanced at all!).

The show went much quicker on a rewatch though, so much of this is just about the psychology of expectations.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Production List.com has Unrecorded Night listed as starting shooting May 3rd....
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

johndaker wrote:
Stavrogyn wrote:The only thing I hear about Marcel Proust, whom I greatly admire and consider my favorite author, is that he's "boring", which yes, he is
No, he isn't! Or at any rate, he doesn't have to be.
It is harder for literature to be boring in the usual sense of the word, because it is not a medium that functions in time in the same way that film and music do. You cannot be reading and not be at least somewhat involved with the text, since the thing you are "consuming" - words and sentences - are the matter that forms the work as such, and you are directly involved with it. On the other hand, when watching a film or a series, you can get bored because your mind does not necessarily need to be involved with every single aspect of the screen, i.e. the whole fabric of the work in front of you.
johndaker wrote:Not a moment of The Return was boring to me, not even the broom.
Not a moment of The Return was boring to me too. In fact, when watching it for the first time, it was far more engaging and exciting to me than the original series. However, regarding boredom, the broom sequence is a good example of a scene which could hypothetically be considered as boring to some because, well, you do have to watch a man sweeping a floor for some time, and the mind tends to start wondering off if the images are not exciting enough for it. In literature, on the other hand, you would be forced to be engaged with every single sentence describing the man sweeping the floor, and you would have to "consume" the whole fabric of the media in front of you, which is why, in my opinion, masters like Proust are never boring. Yes, you do have to be patient - the whole novel is around 3000 pages long and there are endless descriptions of people having dinner, etc. - but when Proust, for example, describes waking up and just lying in bed for circa 30 pages, like at the beginning of À la recherche du temps perdu, it is thrilling because he is telling you something about yourself, something that you experience on a daily basis, but never realized it or could put it in words so clearly, and he does so in great detail. However, if you had to watch 30 minutes of someone just rolling in bed, there would be great chances of getting bored at some point.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

The lady who played Heidi in Twin Peaks tweeted a few hours back

"I learned something today" and posted a link to a web page on how to grow Wisteria.

Interesting

https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksHeidi/stat ... 19968?s=19
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I mean, sooner or later there has to be some kind of official announcement, if they are indeed bound to start shooting in May.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Dougie Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dougie Cooper »

So the announcement has arrived.

David Lynch's "Unrecorded Night" is scheduled to begin production on May 3, 2021.

Source: productionlist.com -- "May 3, 2021 Los Angeles California - project summary - unrecorded night is a 13 episode drama series from director David Lynch"

It's official!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Dougie Cooper wrote:So the announcement has arrived.

David Lynch's "Unrecorded Night" is scheduled to begin production on May 3, 2021.

Source: productionlist.com -- "May 3, 2021 Los Angeles California - project summary - unrecorded night is a 13 episode drama series from director David Lynch"

It's official!
Is that any more official than the Production Weekly blurb a few months ago?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Dougie Cooper wrote:So the announcement has arrived.

It's official!
Is that any more official than the Production Weekly blurb a few months ago?
I doubt it. But I don't recall...was an actual date listed in Production Weekly, or just a month?

Also, I wanted to say that even though I'm a list-aholic, I've never made an all-time films list, yet I know Jeanne Dielman would unquestionably be in my top 50 if not top 20. I think we've stumbled upon a somewhat obvious yet unforeseen correlation here between those who love Dielman and those who love The Return.

(I'm also glad to see some defense of the Green Glove scene, especially regarding its technical, artistic value as well as an acknowledgment of its ambiguous layers...disappointment undoubtedly being one of them.)
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Whilst encouraging, I'm not taking that as any kind of official announcement.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

sneakydave wrote:Whilst encouraging, I'm not taking that as any kind of official announcement.
Me neither (for me, the only real announcement would be a confirmation by Lynch himself or by the studio producing it), but yes, it is encouraging, and it is just convincing me even more that something is indeed happening.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Where in LA are they shooting? Wouldn’t extras have been contacted as of now? By next month of Kyle hasn’t dyed his hair then I don’t think this is related to Twin Peaks