Season 4? Or is it over after this?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:28 am

I'm a very late college student, and most of my classmates are ~10 years+ younger than me. When talking about movies or series, and something I mention gains their interest, they are often disappointed to hear if something is not available on Netflix, and therefore refrain from watching it. So the way Netflix has nested itself in our daily lives, and especially those of younger generations, is something that can certainly annoy me. I even catch myself watching pulp sometimes, just because it's late, I'm lazy, and choosing something quickly available from Netflix is the easiest way to go.

I guess in the end all that matters is whoever is willing to give Lynch the best deal.
I can appreciate the insidiousness of the way Netflix has infiltrated our lives to the point that it’s become a verb (Netflix and chill). I’ll admit that, while I’m opposed to monopolies, there’s a part of me that just wishes every movie and TV show were available on a single streaming service. From a purely practical/financial standpoint, it takes a toll on the purse paying for Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Disney+ etc. etc. to access all the great content out there. Certainly in college I wouldn’t have been able to afford more than one service, so I can sympathize with your friends’ frustration.

But anyway, yes, there’s inevitably something nefarious about any corporation as pervasive as Netflix, and that is important to keep in mind. But as LateReg said, as long as they’re providing us with a great deal of quality content we likely would not have otherwise, I’m grateful. And it does seem with the rise of all these other streaming services, a lot of existing content is leaving Netflix for other platforms, as Netflix focuses more and more on original content. So I think the competition has made Netflix a lot less monopolistic the past few years, if that’s the concern for anyone.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:56 pm

Another negative thing I’ll say about Netflix is that I HATE the stupid autoplay default setting. It’s so disrespectful to creators as well as annoying to people who care about film.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Postby krishnanspace » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:59 pm

Happy New Year guys!!! Hope we get a season 4!!
Jasper
Great Northern Member

Postby Jasper » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:07 pm

There are plenty of reasons to hate Netflix, but I'm not interested in talking about them. I will say that cancelling The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, after it won an Emmy no less, is reason enough to hate them.
Happy New Year! 2020 is a year that will go down in infamy. I sincerely hope and pray that 2021 is a drastic improvement.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:40 pm

There are plenty of reasons to hate Netflix, but I'm not interested in talking about them. I will say that cancelling The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, after it won an Emmy no less, is reason enough to hate them.
I can sympathize, but I’ve seen so many favorite TV series and comic book series canceled before their time that I can’t find it in me to get mad about it anymore. As Michael Corleone said, it’s not personal, it’s strictly business. HBO prematurely canceled my beloved Carnivàle, but that won’t stop my undying gratitude to them for subsequently producing three seasons of The Leftovers. I have no illusions about the fact that Netflix’s bottom line is to make money, but if some great art gets made as a side effect, then it’s cause for celebration. That’s the way the entertainment industry works.

Happy New Year to Jasper, and to everyone!
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Postby krishnanspace » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:10 am

One more thing about Netflix that excites me is the show would be in 4K with Dolby vision and having recently bought an Oled Tv with Dolby Vision, I can say whatever Lynch films will look amazing
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Postby Mordeen » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:48 pm

^- It's yrev, very good to see you again, old friend. :)

So Mordeen, Peaks or no Peaks?
You too buddy.

And since we're going with quotes from The Return, "the conversation around the dinner table is lively."

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Postby Mordeen » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:56 pm

In 1995 through 1998 California enacted the strictest anti-smoking laws in America, banning nearly all indoor smoking, with few exceptions.

However, like any workplace regulation, enforcement requires reporting, and if nobody complained. . .

- Mordeen
^- It's yrev, very good to see you again, old friend. :)

So Mordeen, Peaks or no Peaks?
I think we're all anxiously awaiting this response from you now lol, Mordeen - and good point about California.
Hah, you flatter me.

I'm trying to determine if the question posed is one speaking to whether I want new Twin Peaks, or if I might be aware if there's going to be new Twin Peaks.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jonah
Bookhouse Member

Postby Jonah » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm

And since we're going with quotes from The Return, "the conversation around the dinner table is lively."

-Mordeen
I'm trying to determine if the question posed is one speaking to whether I want new Twin Peaks, or if I might be aware if there's going to be new Twin Peaks.

-Mordeen
Nicely done. On both counts. :D :wink:
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Postby Mordeen » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:02 pm

Yeah or maybe the scene with Coop and Diane outside the red room. Maybe that was actually filmed outside but I think the trees and the puddle had a sort of heightened, artificial look.
(Even the Marnie scenes sort of worked in a surreal way, highlighting her alienation.)
Lynch did, in fact, shoot scenes for The Return at the Glastonberry Grove location in Franklin Canyon Park that he used in the original series and FFWM.

The indentation for the hole they dug to represent the gateway was still present after all those years when The Return went into production (I posted pictures from there at that time). The Sycamores were prop trees. If this picture was one of the exteriors from there for The Return and not from the sets in Van Nuys, then the punched out look might be lighting plus post-production enhancement.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Postby Jerry Horne » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:57 pm

"It's all recorded. No hay banda! It's all a tape." - Mulholland Drive
Attachments
1-b2SwopfWYDfVPgrOp4VRvg.jpeg
1-b2SwopfWYDfVPgrOp4VRvg.jpeg (64.1 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
Jasper
Great Northern Member

Postby Jasper » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:11 pm

Interesting observation about recordings vis-à-vis "Unrecorded Night."

It was Dugpa, I think, who mentioned to Lynch the theory of Ronette and Laura being in MD, and to that Lynch replied that it was, "your imagination."

The brunette never looked much like Phoebe Augustine (Ronette) to me, but the blonde sure looks a lot like Sheryl Lee.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:27 pm

Interesting observation about recordings vis-à-vis "Unrecorded Night."

It was Dugpa, I think, who mentioned to Lynch the theory of Ronette and Laura being in MD, and to that Lynch replied that it was, "your imagination."

The brunette never looked much like Phoebe Augustine (Ronette) to me, but the blonde sure looks a lot like Sheryl Lee.
That’s my recollection as well, except that it was John Neff—who is in Lynch’s inner circle—who denied it, not Lynch himself. And I 100% agree. The brunette is clearly not Phoebe Augustine, but the blonde does really look like Sheryl.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Postby Jerry Horne » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:54 am

It's funny. Half the people that comment on this think it looks like Sheryl Lee but not Pheobe A.. The other half think the opposite. Apparently Sheryl Lee was asked about this in a podcast two years ago. She said she really doesn’t think it’s her, but that since she’s done a lot of things she doesn’t remember, it’s possible.

I mean it's possible? Not really a denial.

I mean I have no idea if there is a thing called Unrecorded Night or what it may be about.

I do however think that Lynch had Lee and Augustine in MD or at least two actors that looked like them. Like the monkey who said Judy in FWWM, I think Lynch likes leaving small breadcrumbs for him to possibly pick up on later.

Is it likely? Probably not, but who knows.
Jonah
Bookhouse Member

Postby Jonah » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:40 am

I thought this discussion seemed familiar: viewtopic.php?t=1208 - (this is what I remembered, John Neff weighs in there, but Google also points to other discussions so a lot of people have certainly noticed the similarity if that's what Lynch was going for).

My take - both women bear more then a slight overall resemblance to Laura and Ronette so I could see Lynch having them in the scene for that purpose. But are they the actual actors? I don't think so. The blonde looks a little like Sheryl Lee in the face, but I don't think it's her. The brunette's facial features look nothing like Phoebe Augustine to me, and I definitely don't think it's her, but she's the one who should really be asked considering someone got it added to her IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0041935.
Last edited by Jonah on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”