Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by NormoftheAndes »

JackwithOneEye wrote:
Jonah wrote:Things have grown quiet again. I wonder when more news will trickle out?

If filming is booked @ Calvert in May, and if it's actually a 200 day shoot as was suggested somewhere... suggests actors should be getting scheduled for large blocks. I assume that some casting would start to leak soon-ish.
Does anyone believe a 200 day filming schedule? That seems really, really long. Is there any precedent?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The Return was 141 days. So it's about two months more.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

considering how much DL complained about rushing through everything in The Return, "it's like a machine, bang bang assembly line, no time to go dreamy. I coulda spent a month shooting at the Fireman's" (paraphrase) and how much he reveres spending time on Eraserhead , Inland Empire, his paintings in general, 200 days seems kinda believable. I think Blue Velvet was a super long shoot too.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Yeah, I never questioned the 200 day shoot IF this is going to be 13 mini movies or whatever hearsay. True Detective Season 1 was a 100 day shoot for 8 hours of footage. The Return was 141, as Jonah pointed out.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Yes, it could be that this new series won't necessarily be much longer than The Return; it could be that Lynch just managed to secure enough shooting days to feel comfortable enough and have the opportunity to "go dreamy".
LateReg wrote:Yeah, I never questioned the 200 day shoot IF this is going to be 13 mini movies or whatever hearsay. True Detective Season 1 was a 100 day shoot for 8 hours of footage. The Return was 141, as Jonah pointed out.
True Detective season 1 - the show that instigated my interest in TV. Before that, Twin Peaks was the only series I watched carefully as I watch films and in its entirety. (I didn't like the ending of TD, though, but that goes for most of the TV shows I've seen).
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I'm no expert. But I guess it's possible that David Lynch going dreamy for extended periods of time would require minimum resources.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

What things make you think Unrecorded Night will be more Twin Peaks and what makes you think it won't be?

I know we've discussed a lot of this already but this seems to be a summary of things I've seen being speculated among fans here and on reddit and twitter -

Indications it might be:
*Lynch hinted he was interested in doing more, the "continuing story" and Carrie Page comments
*Certain social media posts and comments from the cast over the last few years
*Copyright registered partially under Twin Peaks Productions
*Deming and others (including Kyle?) spotted in Snoqualmie a year or more ago
*The HMH hints

Indications it might not be:
*Mark Frost says he's not involved *1
*No recent social media teases from the cast *2
*Rumours it will be filmed/set in LA *3
*It will be on Netflix - how will this work if CBS/Showtime have stakes in the show? *4
*Lynch has scripted unfilmed projects set in LA - such as "Antelope Don't Run No More" - he may want to complete instead *5

Possible solutions or workarounds to the above:

*1 - Though doubtful as he's pretty honest and direct, he could be lying like Lynch's daughter lied before The Return/he might still have executive producer/co-creator or even some limited co-writing involvement but won't be directly involved and gave Lynch the go ahead to proceed without him or they had a falling out and Lynch is going ahead alone. Would Lynch need his permission if they both co-own it? Could he have agreed to a credit/payment but also agreed not to be involved directly?

*2 - "Loose lips sink ships." They might be being careful/have been warned to stay quiet/don know if they're involved yet.

*3 - Much of the original series and The Return were filmed in LA and Deming and others might have already filmed establishing shots and some other exterior scenes plus they could still be planning a return to WA. Much of The Return was set in Vegas, etc., so even if this is more TP a lot of it could be set outside the town or LA filling in for TP and other locales or actually set in LA.

*4 - I'm not sure how this would work but I think Lynch/Frost own the show, not CBS? Maybe it will be a co-production between CBS/Showtime/Netflix and/or Netflix has made a deal with them to stream earlier seasons as well?

*5 - He may incorporate ideas from those projects into more TP. This may be an anthology show, part other projects/part TP.

Thoughts? Things to add?
Last edited by Jonah on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Sorry to say that 4 out of 5 on you ''It will be''-list fall under the category of wishful thinking for me. The copyright thingy is an exception, its the only solid indication that it might be TP.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I changed them to might be/might not be. While I hope it is, I honestly have no idea and was just compiling the main points for and against I've seen being discussed.

Speaking of the copyright registration, does anyone know does the exact title need to be registered? I'm guessing no and it's easy enough to change it later. Maybe someone else knows for sure. Was The Return initially registered as "Rancha Rosa"?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mordeen wrote:In 1995 through 1998 California enacted the strictest anti-smoking laws in America, banning nearly all indoor smoking, with few exceptions.

However, like any workplace regulation, enforcement requires reporting, and if nobody complained. . .

- Mordeen
Soolsma wrote:^- It's yrev, very good to see you again, old friend. :)

So Mordeen, Peaks or no Peaks?
I think we're all anxiously awaiting this response from you now lol, Mordeen - and good point about California.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

@fatecolossal
Another update: I just received a tip from a source who has good reason to believe that this specific meeting between Laura Dern, Naomi Watts, and Netflix was not about David Lynch’s project. Which isn’t to say that they won’t be involved (indeed, at least Dern appears likely)
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I would actually be very surprised if Janey E or Dougie played any part in a continuation of "Twin Peaks". That storylines seems complete with that first scene of episode 18.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Dern and Watts on a project together without Lynch makes me raise an eyebrow.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:Dern and Watts on a project together without Lynch makes me raise an eyebrow.
They did a film together in 2004 called We Don’t Live Here Anymore. Apparently they became good friends on that film and have remained so. They could just want to do something together. Who knows at this point. :lol:
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

The reason I seem to be completely unaware of that movie is probably because from the looks of the trailer and description, it seems it isn't my cup of tea. Might as well watch variations on relations.