Season 4? Or is it over after this?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby LateReg » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Soolsma wrote:Probably so. Next to people obviously having more time on their hands to watch home media, giants like e.g. Disney and AT&T (Warner, HBO), have all geared up to focus more on streaming. Logically, this would mean that also Netflix has to invest even more to keep competing. I'm just not sure why they'd invest bigtime in David Lynch. Though his work is timeless and bound to be a cult hit and will probably garner viewers over many years to come.

That all sounds right to me. As far as Netflix investing in Lynch, I think it's easy to overlook just how much Netflix actually cares about their auteurs. Thankfully it's a major part of their business, from forking over 50 mil to Bong Joon-ho to make an environmental protest movie about a pig to giving Cuaron the same for a personal passion project to giving three times as much to Scorsese for The Irishman. I think for them it all balances out in the end, and it doesn't surprise me that after the critical success of The Return that they'd court Lynch.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:59 pm

LateReg wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Probably so. Next to people obviously having more time on their hands to watch home media, giants like e.g. Disney and AT&T (Warner, HBO), have all geared up to focus more on streaming. Logically, this would mean that also Netflix has to invest even more to keep competing. I'm just not sure why they'd invest bigtime in David Lynch. Though his work is timeless and bound to be a cult hit and will probably garner viewers over many years to come.

That all sounds right to me. As far as Netflix investing in Lynch, I think it's easy to overlook just how much Netflix actually cares about their auteurs. Thankfully it's a major part of their business, from forking over 50 mil to Bong Joon-ho to make an environmental protest movie about a pig to giving Cuaron the same for a personal passion project to giving three times as much to Scorsese for The Irishman. I think for them it all balances out in the end, and it doesn't surprise me that after the critical success of The Return that they'd court Lynch.

Agreed. I remember a debate on here at some point where some users were claiming Netflix was the death of cinema or somesuch, which was baffling to me. Sure, ideally, I’d love to see works on the big screen, and want to see physical movie theaters continue. But given the realities of the current market, streaming venues are the best outlet many auteurs have, and Netflix has been extremely artist-friendly historically. If this is the only way for niche artists like Lynch to get their work out there, then Netflix should be praised for taking the risk.
Cappy
RR Diner Member

Postby Cappy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:48 pm

Rudagger wrote:So, Peaks or not aside (though I’m still hoping for S4, as I think Peak’s familiarity helps keep Lynch with one foot on the ground so to speak), who are your dream casts?

Completely random, but I think J.B. Smoove (Curb Your Enthusiasm) spouting vague-yet-menacing Lynch dialogue through his trademark lisp would be amusing.

Mark Duplass is always good. I feel like Maria Bamford could work well in a Lynch piece, she simultaneously has bubbly Lucy energy mixed in with (un)healthy Sarah Palmer gloom.
AXX°N N.
RR Diner Member

Postby AXX°N N. » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:58 pm

Cappy wrote:I feel like Maria Bamford could work well in a Lynch piece, she simultaneously has bubbly Lucy energy mixed in with (un)healthy Sarah Palmer gloom.

That would be amazing, and not out of the realm of possibility given Brett Gelman's role and John Ennis' brief cameo in S3, two faces that surprised me a lot.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Postby krishnanspace » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:04 pm

Panapaok wrote:Anybody remember Arbogast? That's who we need right now to give us info. Those were the days! :lol:

Yeah .. I remember! To think it’s been half a decade since.
ringbearer
Roadhouse Member

Postby ringbearer » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:21 am

Rudagger wrote:
So, Peaks or not aside (though I’m still hoping for S4, as I think Peak’s familiarity helps keep Lynch with one foot on the ground so to speak), who are your dream casts?

I'd always thought Michael Wincott would be a great addition; but perhaps I imagined him as a Renault. Convincing current speculation would cancel that out I suppose.

Other actors I'd like to see would be Michael K. Williams, Jared Harris, Lisa Marie and Tom Waits.
"I like to remember things my own way." Fred Madison
mtwentz
Bookhouse Member

Postby mtwentz » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:47 am

Panapaok wrote:Anybody remember Arbogast? That's who we need right now to give us info. Those were the days! :lol:

Totally remember Arbogast...I often wonder if he ever was found out or got in any trouble for the little tidbits that he fed us.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Postby ManBehindWinkies » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:54 am

Interesting tidbits. I'm still inclined to think if Frost and Showtime are not involved it is not Twin Peaks related, but I wouldn't rule it out.

As for dream casting, I recall that post-BLM discussion between Lynch and Sutherland where Lynch expressed an interest in centering POC in his work, and I can't imagine he'd have too many more opportunities other than whatever this upcoming project turns out to be. So I'd love to see pretty much any member of the cast of "Atlanta" work with Lynch, but especially Lakeith Stanfield.
Cappy
RR Diner Member

Postby Cappy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:00 am

AXX°N N. wrote:
Cappy wrote:I feel like Maria Bamford could work well in a Lynch piece, she simultaneously has bubbly Lucy energy mixed in with (un)healthy Sarah Palmer gloom.

That would be amazing, and not out of the realm of possibility given Brett Gelman's role and John Ennis' brief cameo in S3, two faces that surprised me a lot.

The "Brett Gelman and Tim Heidecker Have Lunch" videos are some of the best character driven comedy I've ever seen.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Postby LateReg » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 am

ManBehindWinkies wrote:Interesting tidbits. I'm still inclined to think if Frost and Showtime are not involved it is not Twin Peaks related, but I wouldn't rule it out.

As for dream casting, I recall that post-BLM discussion between Lynch and Sutherland where Lynch expressed an interest in centering POC in his work, and I can't imagine he'd have too many more opportunities other than whatever this upcoming project turns out to be. So I'd love to see pretty much any member of the cast of "Atlanta" work with Lynch, but especially Lakeith Stanfield.

Can you link that? I recall the earlier Robert Johnson rumors, and that Sutherland said she would think more in depth about diversity during further projects, but other than a "if a person is right for the job thats all that matters" during the interview I'm thinking of, I don't recall Lynch's quote regarding the matter of focusing on POC. Thanks in advance.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Postby Jerry Horne » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:36 am

mtwentz wrote:

Totally remember Arbogast...I often wonder if he ever was found out or got in any trouble for the little tidbits that he fed us.

No and no.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Postby BGate » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:45 am

beano wrote:"Casting will take place shortly but it’s believed Lynch has met with a couple of names (one whose name rhymes with Learn) for headline roles."

https://moviehole.net/david-lynchs-new- ... g-shortly/

A good question to ask yourself when reading stuff like this and deciding how legit it may be: does it provide any new, specific information? The only "new" thing here is that Dern could be involved, which isn't really new since many people have already made the connection with her comment about Lynch wanting her to shave her head for a new project. Given that it's surrounded by a bunch of stuff taken from elsewhere, I would say the chances that this person has a legit source are next to nil.

Anyway as excited as I am for this, as someone who didn't really get into Lynch until the later '00s it does kind of bum me out that I will likely never get a chance to see a new David Lynch feature film in a theater (I've actually never even seen an old one, but I'm sure I'll make it to a rep screening one of these days, assuming rep theaters survive the pandemic).
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Postby Metamorphia » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:29 am

LateReg wrote:
ManBehindWinkies wrote:Interesting tidbits. I'm still inclined to think if Frost and Showtime are not involved it is not Twin Peaks related, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Can you link that? I recall the earlier Robert Johnson rumors, and that Sutherland said she would think more in depth about diversity during further projects, but other than a "if a person is right for the job thats all that matters" during the interview I'm thinking of, I don't recall Lynch's quote regarding the matter of focusing on POC. Thanks in advance.

Yeah I find that hard to believe. I could also envisage Lynch getting in a bit of media trouble for his ideas about artistic purity in terms of how it affects representation... but that's another matter.

Unless he already had an idea with a minority lead in his "box" (the one he and Sabrina were going through last year) and that's what has evolved into Wisteria?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Postby krishnanspace » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:32 am

Remember in 2018 Lynch said that Carrie is calling but there are some disturbances. Then during his weather reports he mentioned that the future looks bright. Wonder if all of this is connected
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Postby madeleineferguson » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:34 pm

mtwentz wrote:

Arbogast had to be professionally affiliated with the series, and on location for filming. I remember their profile picture was of a coffee cup, which turned out the be the very same coffee cup that was thrown out the window of Becky’s trailer. For years we’d heard “someone will throw a coffee cup out a window”, and that was it!

Return to “General”