Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

beano
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by beano »

"Casting will take place shortly but it’s believed Lynch has met with a couple of names (one whose name rhymes with Learn) for headline roles."

https://moviehole.net/david-lynchs-new- ... g-shortly/
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

madeleineferguson wrote:
Cappy wrote:Mixed feelings about the possibility of Lynch moving forward on Peaks without Frost.

But I do have trouble seeing them doing a new season together -- I don't even think they have the same interpretation of how S3 ended (or should have ended). It's hard to see them picking up and continuing on something if they already have fundamental disagreements about it.
Totally agree. After re reading Frost’s Twin Peaks books, I realized Frost and Lynch had very different visions of the series.
Right. I don't wish to speculate until we know for sure what any of this means, and I'm not convinced Wisteria is Twin Peaks. But as I alluded to in my previous post, I've long had this feeling - aroused by numerous pieces of intangible evidence that I've rightly or wrongly read into, both in the series itself and certain comments by Lynch or Frost, and, as thedougpa pointed out, history itself - that Lynch might have been ready to go it alone again, or already wished he had...even though, as we all know, he couldn't have made The Return without Frost. I think the Lynch/Frost push and pull that Reindeer points out is entirely accurate re: the fascinating foundation of the series and its ideas, but I also think there's just a certain point where Lynch's ideas and will become too abstract or strong for some collaborator's participation, or at least Lynch feels that way. I also feel that this applies to Twin Peaks, and that it can result in a fantastic and unique Twin Peaks; and perhaps I'm thinking of Fire Walk With Me and Lynch's latest films (as well as, in contrast, poignant thematic elements that set The Return apart and called for it to be so leisurely), but I've long stated that I anticipated a fourth season of Twin Peaks to be a much leaner and darker dive that is even more definitively modern Lynch.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

beano wrote:"it’s believed Lynch has met with a couple of names (one whose name rhymes with Learn) for headline roles."
Daniel Stern???
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Don't you think that whatever is supposed to be happening, we will get some kind of announcement soon?

I mean, I understand plot (assuming there is a plot :-)) details and maybe even actors might want to be held as a tightly held secret.

But if it IS Twin Peaks related (a spinoff or whatever, is there any real advantage to not letting the world know there is new Twin Peaks-related material on the way?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:Don't you think that whatever is supposed to be happening, we will get some kind of announcement soon?

I mean, I understand plot (assuming there is a plot :-)) details and maybe even actors might want to be held as a tightly held secret.

But if it IS Twin Peaks related (a spinoff or whatever, is there any real advantage to not letting the world know there is new Twin Peaks-related material on the way?
Aww this just makes me even sadder thinking back to that joint L/F Twitter announcement about TR. I was so happy (and that was really the first step in my ending up on these boards).

For the record, I still don’t really think Wisteria is TP-related, but it is seeming a teeny bit more possible.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

there are areas where DL and MF's visions overlap. the S3 conclusion has brush strokes from both.

I would think that Frost would still want to stay on as Exec Producer tho, hard to imagine he'd want completely out, unless DL wants to go full on abstract and it's too much for him. he did seem a little resigned to Lynch's ways in S3.

Netflix would have to acquire S2 of TP from Showtime, in order for a continuation to seem palatable to subscribers.

I'm still in the camp that Wisteria is something new. the twitter unfollowing and some TP productions filing may just be over reading.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

beano wrote:"Casting will take place shortly but it’s believed Lynch has met with a couple of names (one whose name rhymes with Learn) for headline roles."

https://moviehole.net/david-lynchs-new- ... g-shortly/
Interesting.. I’m guessing an official announcement by February?
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I remember when the cast of The Return was announced, I couldn't believe how many actors were returning after 25 years and how many famous new faces we were getting. However, I always imagined how it could have been even better if I didn't know who was returning; for example, by the time she appears, I would have had completely ruled out Sherilyn Fenn, and I would have been utterly shocked to see Tim Roth pop up.

Unfortunately, I know I will thoroughly examine the new cast list the moment it is announced, Twin Peaks or not. :D
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Anybody remember Arbogast? That's who we need right now to give us info. Those were the days! :lol:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

So, Peaks or not aside (though I’m still hoping for S4, as I think Peak’s familiarity helps keep Lynch with one foot on the ground so to speak), who are your dream casts?

I really hope Maclachlan works with Lynch again, even more so if it’s something original. He killed it in S3, and, I just want that collaboration to continue and for their work on S3 to not ultimately be a “well, we had to, because he’s Coop!” type thing. It’s been since damn Blue Velvet that they’ve worked on something that’s not Peaks (though I can’t help but feel if it weren’t for the falling out, he’d have had Bill Pullman’s role in Lost Highway).

Dern and Watts are no brainers, but, most of all: Justin Theroux. He was one of the few actors I really missed in S3 (alongside original run actors who couldn’t appear due to death, health issues, or mental health issues) as I just sort of assumed after Mulholland/Inland and his tremendous growth as an actor (his role as Kevin Garvey in the Leftovers is an all time great television performance) that he would pop up. But, alas. So, really would love to see him reunite. I do think he’s filming a Mosquito Coast (his father, I think, was the original author) miniseries but, don’t know when.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Aww this just makes me even sadder thinking back to that joint L/F Twitter announcement about TR. I was so happy (and that was really the first step in my ending up on these boards).
Yeah, I hope whatever this project is about, that Lynch and Frost are in good terms. I really loved that TR was a collaborative effort between them, for the most part. This was one of my favorite BTS pics back in the day.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Rudagger wrote: I really hope Maclachlan works with Lynch again, even more so if it’s something original. He killed it in S3, and, I just want that collaboration to continue and for their work on S3 to not ultimately be a “well, we had to, because he’s Coop!” type thing. It’s been since damn Blue Velvet that they’ve worked on something that’s not Peaks (though I can’t help but feel if it weren’t for the falling out, he’d have had Bill Pullman’s role in Lost Highway).

Dern and Watts are no brainers, but, most of all: Justin Theroux. He was one of the few actors I really missed in S3 (alongside original run actors who couldn’t appear due to death, health issues, or mental health issues) as I just sort of assumed after Mulholland/Inland and his tremendous growth as an actor (his role as Kevin Garvey in the Leftovers is an all time great television performance) that he would pop up.
I'll second all this. Theroux was also my most wanted non-Peaks actor for The Return, and so I hope they work together again.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I'm also hoping that Kyle will be a part of whatever this is. And it's highly possible too, I think. Both of them seemed to really enjoy working together again after so many years.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Soolsma wrote: Probably so. Next to people obviously having more time on their hands to watch home media, giants like e.g. Disney and AT&T (Warner, HBO), have all geared up to focus more on streaming. Logically, this would mean that also Netflix has to invest even more to keep competing. I'm just not sure why they'd invest bigtime in David Lynch. Though his work is timeless and bound to be a cult hit and will probably garner viewers over many years to come.
That all sounds right to me. As far as Netflix investing in Lynch, I think it's easy to overlook just how much Netflix actually cares about their auteurs. Thankfully it's a major part of their business, from forking over 50 mil to Bong Joon-ho to make an environmental protest movie about a pig to giving Cuaron the same for a personal passion project to giving three times as much to Scorsese for The Irishman. I think for them it all balances out in the end, and it doesn't surprise me that after the critical success of The Return that they'd court Lynch.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
Soolsma wrote: Probably so. Next to people obviously having more time on their hands to watch home media, giants like e.g. Disney and AT&T (Warner, HBO), have all geared up to focus more on streaming. Logically, this would mean that also Netflix has to invest even more to keep competing. I'm just not sure why they'd invest bigtime in David Lynch. Though his work is timeless and bound to be a cult hit and will probably garner viewers over many years to come.
That all sounds right to me. As far as Netflix investing in Lynch, I think it's easy to overlook just how much Netflix actually cares about their auteurs. Thankfully it's a major part of their business, from forking over 50 mil to Bong Joon-ho to make an environmental protest movie about a pig to giving Cuaron the same for a personal passion project to giving three times as much to Scorsese for The Irishman. I think for them it all balances out in the end, and it doesn't surprise me that after the critical success of The Return that they'd court Lynch.
Agreed. I remember a debate on here at some point where some users were claiming Netflix was the death of cinema or somesuch, which was baffling to me. Sure, ideally, I’d love to see works on the big screen, and want to see physical movie theaters continue. But given the realities of the current market, streaming venues are the best outlet many auteurs have, and Netflix has been extremely artist-friendly historically. If this is the only way for niche artists like Lynch to get their work out there, then Netflix should be praised for taking the risk.