Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtl
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by mtl »

held back for a second book?

some people should read Conversations with MF. they're obviously wrong about a couple of things they're saying out loud.

NAIDO
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

mtl wrote:held back for a second book?

some people should read Conversations with MF. they're obviously wrong about a couple of things they're saying out loud.

NAIDO
Care to elucidate...at all?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

thedougpa wrote:

NAIDO
IIRC, Mark discusses the fact that he always planned to write two books (and indeed had a publishing contract to that effect): one book more focused on Bluebook stuff to come out before the show, and one more character-focused and spoilery to come out after the show aired. He didn’t cut anything from the first book, and TFD wasn’t an “outtakes” book or anything like that. It was always planned as its own separate thing.
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

thedougpa wrote:

NAIDO
what Mr Reindeer said

and just read the damn book if you're a TP fan.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Conversations with Mark Frost was unputdownable to me. I think I read it in one sitting. He is very, very open about plot mysteries in TP that I thought he'd never talk about. In fact, you are making me want to read it again!

Some random thoughts i had while cycling home:

1) Am I right in remembering that FWWM came out partially because Frost disagreed with the direction Lynch wanted to go in? i.e. Frost wanted a sequel to the series, Lynch wanted a prequel. I've always seen FWWM as both a prequel and a sequel, though it took me a while to realise that. I've still not rationalised how S3 distorts the ending of FWWM.

2) Lynch was really drawn to the character of Laura and wanted to sketch her backstory. That's exactly where we are now, except with Carrie Page!

So if Frost wants a sequel to S3, and Lynch wants a prequel, history is just repeating itself. So it's not completely impossible that the new series is TP-related, but I still think it is unlikely.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:IIRC, Mark discusses the fact that he always planned to write two books (and indeed had a publishing contract to that effect): one book more focused on Bluebook stuff to come out before the show, and one more character-focused and spoilery to come out after the show aired. He didn’t cut anything from the first book, and TFD wasn’t an “outtakes” book or anything like that. It was always planned as its own separate thing.
That's not entirely correct, and to what extend it isn't really depends how you want to interpret this:
Ryan W. Bradley: The initial announcement of the book said it was going to bridge the gap between the original series and the new one, but it doesn’t do that at all. Was that misreported or did the project evolve away from that?

Mark Frost: It was misreported. It was a generic press release that was put out before we really even knew what the book was. I quickly realized there was too much proprietary information that would have been contained in those gap years and might have been detrimental to the eventual series.
source

So yeah, you might be correct in that there's nothing concrete cut from TSH, as it seems this stems from very early stages of conceptualizing. However, some ideas were obviously scrapped, and it's not at all unlikely they'd have ended up in TFD, it being a lot more 'proprietary' than it's predecessor.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Soolsma wrote:@Stavrogyn. Frost already denied denying involvement because of an NDA.
Mark Frost
@mfrost11
Nov 28
"No. No NDA. Not involved. Period."
Thank you for this info. I've seen his first post on Twitter but missed the second. Shame. Then again, if Lynch is indeed making an original series, well, that would be beyond great. Let's just hope a lot of his standard go-to actors turn up! (For example, Kyle; Lynch hasn't used him in anything non Twin Peaks related since Blue Velvet.)
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

There is a line in Final Dossier where Agent Preston mentions something about delving more into Bobby Briggs' story, then Bobby is never mentioned again. Maybe Frost (and maybe Lynch?) have some potential idea for the Briggs family that could be fleshed out later. There are still a lot of gaps in the Bobby/Shelly/Red and Becky/Stephen/Gersten stories that could be expounded on, not to mention a time displaced CGI Garland Briggs that could always pop up.

I like to imagine that Betty Briggs has twin poles hidden behind a bookshelf in her house, that lead down into a Briggscave filled with all sorts of weird supernatural junk.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

So I've contacted the person who first leaked ''Wisteria'', the 25 hour long eps and 85 mil budget. I asked him if all that info came from the same source.
"Yes, it’s the same source. The budget is solid unless they revised it in the last year or so, which I doubt unless they decided to give him more money.

The 25 episode thing is more tricky. I don’t want to go into too much detail, but basically when these things go into production they need to give details to different organizations. Some of those details include general episode length (half hour or hour long) and number of episodes for a season. The initial info I saw indicated 25 episodes at an hour length. Looking at different documents it describes it as 13 “mini movies” or “minimum” and has a question mark after 25.

So I kinda think it might be 13 episodes that are longer than an hour but less than 2 hours but they said 25 total hours to kinda give themselves room. I’m comfortable saying it’s at least 13."
A random redditor might be considered untrustworty, but since he managed to get the name spot on, it seems evident to me this information is legit. Like a wise man once said:
"When two separate events occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry, we must always pay strict attention."
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mojo1976
Roadhouse Member

Post by mojo1976 »

I speculated about this in a comment to a reddit post and thought I'd mention it here. Maybe Frost is done with Twin Peaks. Maybe after his books and season 3, he's said all he wants to say and that his version of the story is told. I'm fine with that, because of what was in The Final Dossier compared to the show. They obviously have different ways to tell the story, and that's fine. It could be that he and Lynch decided to part ways with the show and that if there is any future with the characters, they are free to pursue them on their own. My gut tells me that part 18 is the end of Twin Peaks, but the characters may have more stories to tell. Is it Twin Peaks if it's not in Twin Peaks? Perhaps the Odessa-verse is where the story is now and that the town is no longer integral to the story. And really, judging how S3 was, Kyle and Sheryl might not need to be in the full 25 hours of whatever Wisteria is. It could be 20+ hours of build-up to whatever happens after "what year is this?"
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

Just the name "Wisteria" alone makes me think of the street everyone lives on in "Desperate Housewives".

This is probably all a coincidence, right?
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Cappy wrote:Just the name "Wisteria" alone makes me think of the street everyone lives on in "Desperate Housewives".

That obvious connection is one of the myriad of reason's why I am sure that this particular rumour is false.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

eyeboogers wrote:
Cappy wrote:Just the name "Wisteria" alone makes me think of the street everyone lives on in "Desperate Housewives".

That obvious connection is one of the myriad of reason's why I am sure that this particular rumour is false.
I'm sorry, I'm just a bit confused on this point again. You believe that Production Weekly also reported something merely rumored? I'm under the assumption that it is their job only to report fact given to them by a real source. If they reported Wisteria, then that is at least the working title, and no longer a rumor. Or am I somehow missing some piece of information here?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:

I mean, that’s clearly a working title/fake, like Rancho Rosa or Blue Harvest. Lynch isn’t going to reveal something as specific as the title at this early stage (he might not even have one yet, as on INLAND EMPIRE, when the title didn’t come until midway into production). In any event, I don’t see how the Housewives connection negates the credence. “Wisteria” is a color, a flower, the title of a couple albums, the name of plenty of streets (including one in Odessa, according to Jerry), part of the title of a Sherlock Holmes story, and probably plenty of other things. It’s like saying anything that uses the title Mockingbird must be a Munsters remake because that was the street they lived on. DH doesn’t have a monopoly on it, and it’s a great lyrical word that I could see DKL liking the sound of as a placeholder.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

''Production Weekly provides professionals working in the film and television industries with the most comprehensive production breakdown available. Our professional research staff continuously tracks and compiles up-to-date data on projects in various stages of development, both domestically and internationally.''

It's not a tabloid website Eyeboogers. They have no single reason to want to spread misinformation in order to gain attention. And no way would a website like that scoop rumors from Reddit. They themselves stated the project is unnamed, just that the working is Wisteria.

Oh yeah, also in other online communities that revolve around anticipation and leaks (such as the subreddit r/starwarsleaks, probably one of the bigger groups), ProductionWeekly is considered a credible source.