Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by LateReg »

enumbs wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
I don't want rehash too much what we've already discussed about COVID, but just to note how quickly the virus ran through the White House and had the POTUS not had the very best health care in the country, he very well might have died (he still may not be out of the woods).

Lynch has to be looking at that and calculating...

Are folks like he, Beymer, Tamblyn etc. really willing to take the risk? And how about some of the older folks behind the camera?

Right now I put the probability of Season 4 ever happening with Lynch as director at well under 50%. Maybe below 10%.
I’m a little more optimistic on that front. My gut tells me that a new season of Twin Peaks would be far less sprawling in its approach, and would probably focus on Laura, Cooper and Diane. The Return felt like it was providing one last wistful glance at the town’s residents before plunging deeper into the psyches of the characters who matter most to Lynch.

All indications seem to be that a script has already been written, so I’m hopeful that this will be ready to set in motion once Lynch feels comfortable. The World Health Organisation believe a vaccine could be ready by the end of this year, so providing Lynch remains in good health then shooting in 2021 or 2022 seems feasible.
I agree with that re: The Return and how a new season would shift its focus.

But, assuming there is a new script/film/series in the works, I'm still not remotely sure it is Twin Peaks, so there's always that as far as pondering the age of cast members. Even if I believe the initial HHM rumor, I've always allowed that it might be a misunderstanding in that they had assumed a new season of Twin Peaks when really it was a brand new series. Wait and see, I suppose, and I welcome either scenario.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

damn covid
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

enumbs wrote:Interview with Lynch in which he suggests that were it not for the virus he’d probably be making a film “or continuing story” right now. Considering the Hollywood Horror Museum tweets I have a feeling that in another dimension we’re all obsessing over set leaks from Twin Peaks 4...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOu4ktBT6VA&t=1m40s
Can’t wait to watch the interview later, and thanks for sharing. But damn, that’s heartbreaking.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

when he says a continuing story i think he just means he's finally making dune messiah.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

"a film or a continuous story". Those two combined, sounds like it could be a follow up-movie.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

bob_wooler wrote:"a film or a continuous story". Those two combined, sounds like it could be a follow up-movie.
You certainly could be right, but I took continuing story to mean something Longform, not necessarily continuing something that already exists. But who knows!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
bob_wooler wrote:"a film or a continuous story". Those two combined, sounds like it could be a follow up-movie.
You certainly could be right, but I took continuing story to mean something Longform, not necessarily continuing something that already exists. But who knows!
This is the way I took it too. “Continuing story” is a phrase Lynch has used for decades to refer to TP as well as the general concept of long-form serialized storytelling, so I think he’s referring to TP or a different ongoing TV or web series.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

That was a really lovely interview. I loved that the kid asks when the number of the day will be seven, because a few days back Lynch got a seven and was incredibly happy (I think there was a “by golly”). I assumed it was just because it’s his favorite number, but clearly that was after he’d talked to Toby!

Also nice to see him without those damned glasses. :lol:
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:That was a really lovely interview. I loved that the kid asks when the number of the day will be seven, because a few days back Lynch got a seven and was incredibly happy (I think there was a “by golly”). I assumed it was just because it’s his favorite number, but clearly that was after he’d talked to Toby!

Lynch’s elation and the kid’s question were both to do with a commenter called Wes who would always write “if tomorrow’s not a 7 I’m gonna lose it” from the first video on. The fact that it was the only number not to have been drawn by day 30 or so led to this becoming a big in-joke in the comments until it was finally picked.

I love Lynch’s genuinely amused response to the final question.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

enumbs wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:That was a really lovely interview. I loved that the kid asks when the number of the day will be seven, because a few days back Lynch got a seven and was incredibly happy (I think there was a “by golly”). I assumed it was just because it’s his favorite number, but clearly that was after he’d talked to Toby!

Lynch’s elation and the kid’s question were both to do with a commenter called Wes who would always write “if tomorrow’s not a 7 I’m gonna lose it” from the first video on. The fact that it was the only number not to have been drawn by day 30 or so led to this becoming a big in-joke in the comments until it was finally picked.

I love Lynch’s genuinely amused response to the final question.
For sure. It was also nice to see him talking about an aspect of Dune in a positive/enthusiastic way.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Don't forget the celeb nudity site that posted the rumor about a casting notice for a new Lynch project, that was in February right before Covid hit.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Obviously COVID is a massive tragedy all around, so, take that in context when I complain that it's all relative. But, goddamn you Covid. I swear, if we were gonna get Peaks Season 4 or something, and it got axed because of that ... insert Jesse Pinkman 'can't keep getting away with it' GIF.

Though, weren't there murmurs that he might be starting to work on something again and be stepping away from Youtube? So, maybe things are getting back into motion again? And I know Ridley Scott's started shooting again (though, that guy seems to exist to be on set), and Clint Eastwood is lining up a project to start shooting soon, I believe Scorcese is still going to go forward with his next DiCaprio/DeNiro flick (name eludes me currently), so, maybe Hollywood is starting to feel it has a way forward on projects that aren't mammoth-scale productions (which, Peaks was in the 'filming length' sense, but, doesn't compare to the scale of say, The Batman or Jurassic World 3 which both had to shut down for two weeks due to positive tests).
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I haven't had time to watch more than two hours of it, but Autumn, the 12 hour live "special" of the HBO series The Third Day, already mentioned here, is really interesting in the context of covid, because it features lots of people running about, interacting very closely in a communal setting, with elderly actors, children, etc. Granted, so far it's all been outside, but I think it was planned to be that way even before the crisis. The difference is that in addition to this already large cast there would have been two or three thousand extras attending a large festival. I don't know if those numbers are an exaggeration, but that came right from one of the creators.

I believe it was filmed last Saturday or thereabouts, and so far it's all one continuous take. It's a remarkable experiment. I could see Lynch doing something like this. He'd really like the slowness and the way that it takes the established narrative style of a series and comes at it from a radically different angle.

P.S. The closest things to this in Twin Peaks would include the room service scene in the s2 premiere, as well as some s3 long takes, especially the sweeping scene. It's basically a situation where something that is clearly a very stylized television show suddenly becomes a very real place that you feel as though you can enter.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I am slowly making my way through The Third Day: Autumn as well.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
LateReg wrote:
This is the way I took it too. “Continuing story” is a phrase Lynch has used for decades to refer to TP as well as the general concept of long-form serialized storytelling, so I think he’s referring to TP or a different ongoing TV or web series.

I took what Lynch said as what he would "probably" be doing if there wasn't covid. I dont think he mean't Twin Peaks. I think he meant he would be on set working on anything.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.