Season 4? Or is it over after this?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross

JackwithOneEye
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Postby JackwithOneEye » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:10 pm

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I didn't say it was "just" representing explanation in storytelling, I was saying that it is possibly that AS WELL AS the spiritual explanation. Both meanings at once as they do not cancel each other out. Functioning on multiple planes at once, narrative, thematic, etc. One theory takes place on the meta-narrative level, the other takes place thematically right in the narrative itself. That's how this show works for me, and I hold both of those theories in my mind simultaneously because that's how I believe the show is functioning.
I hear ya. I was going off more on the Twin Perfect guy than yourself. If you get around to the Twin Perfect video, let us know what you think. The guy in the vid seems uber self confident and cocky that he decoded it all, also turned me off a bit.

there are plenty of meta things that are legit - the blueish glow on laura's face at end of FWWM does seem to be a call-back to the blue static from the TV, that he using as motif throughout, that maybe she is a TV character. using the actual owner of the Palmer house at the end of The Return, is very suggestive. it's like you've been playing a part, which is like taking part in a dream, and now reality is dawning on you. and Monica Belluci is a person who exists in our reality, it's not like Cole was dreaming of a fictious person, it was an actress from our reality who plays parts in dreams, and it's a coffee shop the real Lynch has been to.

so indeed, there are meta and spiritual things going on at the same time... one thing I got from 'The Art Life' is how much Lynch loved playing with other kids in his childhood, playing war in the playground and making up stories, and the mud thing with little Dicky Smith... he really treasures those memories. that does seem to inform a lot of the improvisational nature of how he wants to make movies, especially as he's gotten older, and really fully involved in the playing himself in The Return, giving such a large part to Cole.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Postby Metamorphia » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:40 pm

After seeing how frail and old Lynch looked accepting his Oscar, my expectations for more peaks dropped considerably. He's aged a tremendous amount in the past few years.
Too hard to make any kind of judgement about his condition based on a 60 second one angle appearance, but I must admit I was shocked by how old he came across (not just in appearance but in speech too). Although he did seem very nervous. I suppose Lynch doesn't get out much anymore if his press bits are anything to go by.
Jonah
Bookhouse Member

Postby Jonah » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:28 pm

The speech from Kyle and Laura Dern was very touching and emotional.

Was surprised to see no one had started a thread on him winning the Oscar, so created one over on the David Lynch section of the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4133&p=121783#p121783
(includes videos of him receiving the award, opening speeches by Isabella Rossellini, Kyle MacLachlan, and Laura Dern, plus some news articles)
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Postby Jacob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:39 pm

After seeing how frail and old Lynch looked accepting his Oscar, my expectations for more peaks dropped considerably. He's aged a tremendous amount in the past few years.
Too hard to make any kind of judgement about his condition based on a 60 second one angle appearance, but I must admit I was shocked by how old he came across (not just in appearance but in speech too). Although he did seem very nervous. I suppose Lynch doesn't get out much anymore if his press bits are anything to go by.
It's been almost a year now. Honestly I thought it was kind of a "tacit mutual agreement" to not speak about it on this forum.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Postby LateReg » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:55 pm

It's been almost a year now. Honestly I thought it was kind of a "tacit mutual agreement" to not speak about it on this forum.
What's that mean? Not speak about what?
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Postby Jacob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:19 pm

You don't lose that much weight at this age because you're going on a diet. And since late 2018 (see his masterclass), it's kinda obvious.

I hope I'm wrong though.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:23 pm

You don't lose that much weight at this age because you're going on a diet. And since late 2018 (see his masterclass), it's kinda obvious.

I hope I'm wrong though.
My grandfather got pretty gaunt just through natural aging. I don’t find David’s appearance that alarming. He looks perfectly healthy for his age to me. Watching the clips from the Governor’s Awards, I think his pausing/wavering speech and brevity were due to him being a little emotionally overwhelmed. You can see during Kyle and Laura’s speech that he’s pretty moved.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Postby baxter » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:52 pm

I just watched the video based on the above descriptions, expecting to see a haggard man close to death.

He looks fine! He was clearly nervous, but in his book he goes into great detail about his intense fear of public speaking.
JackwithOneEye
RR Diner Member

Postby JackwithOneEye » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm

For the record, I personally hope this whole thing ends up being that Showtime is greenlighting a Lynch-directed RONNIE ROCKET 2020..
We’re probably among the few who would be equally excited by that. :mrgreen:
RONNIE ROCKET 10 episode limited series would be a dream come true.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Postby N. Needleman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Wow, I was expecting some graven visage. He looks and sounds fine to me. Just nervous.
The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
ManBehindWinkies
Roadhouse Member

Postby ManBehindWinkies » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:46 pm

Yeah he looks fine, certainly not significantly more aged than he was as Cole in S3, where he clearly looked far too old to be doing FBI field work (not that I'm nitpicking).
Jonah
Bookhouse Member

Postby Jonah » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:32 am

According to someone on reddit:

"Sheryl Lee and Ray Wise haven't heard anything official on season 4. Was at a q&a with them at Milwaukee tonight. Someone asked. Sheryl Lee said she hadn't heard anything official, just that there was a rumor of a rumor. Ray Wise just recalled what David Lynch told him before season 3, that the town was still there."
Agent Earle
Great Northern Member

Postby Agent Earle » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:36 am

If Ray Wise was sipping a cup of joe as he was saying it, I think we might have something there...
Jonah
Bookhouse Member

Postby Jonah » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:54 am

After years and years of saying no, there's finally talk of "something happening" with FRIENDS (probably not a reboot, maybe a movie - we'll see), so if FRIENDS comes back, TWIN PEAKS could definitely come back again. Remember how unlikely The Return seemed before it happened? Season 4 doesn't seem as unlikely to me. I just think they should probably get a move on if they're going to do it. No one's getting any younger and, sadly, a lot of the cast have already passed on.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Postby Soolsma » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:28 am

Weird. For the third time in a month I dreamt David Lynch came to my house. Forgot to ask him about season 4 every time. He looked healthy though.

Re> Oscars > Note Tarantino very happily clapping for Lynch! Ha!
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."

Return to “General”