Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by sneakydave »

Agent Earle wrote:I strongly feel someone's leading us on a wild goose chase here ... To ends known only to him.
If it was anyone, it would be the Hollywood Horror Museum, as their tweet is where this all stems from. I just don't see what they have to gain by it.

And I don't see the actors like Michael and Kyle leading the fans on in such a cruel fashion. Though, I don't count Kyle's tweet as part of this. He tweets all the time about Peaks.

Andy Hazel's tweet is the one that has me most interested. That was an easy way to shoot it down. And it wasn't.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

sneakydave wrote: Andy Hazel's tweet is the one that has me most interested. That was an easy way to shoot it down. And it wasn't.
Did I miss something here? Googled quickly and see he's a journalist (?) who's retweeted a lot of the TP rumours? But what particular tweet did he tweet?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

He's the guy who 'confirmed that a TP production member whose name is in the opening credits told him that they don't comment on rumour and followed that with a wink emoji'.

Right there it could all have been shot down. They chose not to.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

sneakydave wrote:He's the guy who 'confirmed that a TP production member whose name is in the opening credits told him.that they don't comment on rumour and followed that with a wink emoji.

Right there it could all have been shot down. They chose not to.

Ah ok. So he runs the podcast? I remember the tweet, just didn't link it to his name. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, that and the HHM tweet, I suppose are the strongest ones. Maybe the Hawk thing too, and the Al Strobel comment. Everything else - Kyle's tweet, even Lynch's tweets, and Frost's as well - could all be innocent or related to something else. Even Michael Horse's could be too, I guess.
tylergfoster

Post by tylergfoster »

Re: distribution questions from a couple pages back -- do the Netflix rumblings I heard make any sense? Showtime has some claim to at least Season 3, I assume. The old show was/is on Netflix, but can Lynch and Frost just make more wherever they want? Hard to believe Netflix would want something they had to share, hard to believe Showtime would want to share it, hard to believe Netflix would find it as interesting if viewers can't also see S3 on their platform...
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

tylergfoster wrote:Re: distribution questions from a couple pages back -- do the Netflix rumblings I heard make any sense? Showtime has some claim to at least Season 3, I assume. The old show was/is on Netflix, but can Lynch and Frost just make more wherever they want? Hard to believe Netflix would want something they had to share, hard to believe Showtime would want to share it, hard to believe Netflix would find it as interesting if viewers can't also see S3 on their platform...
I'd love to know this too if anyone knows? I mean, can Lynch/Frost go to someone else with future seasons?

Also, whether on Showtime or elsewhere, do you think we'd ever see a new season being filmed like the original series - an episode (or a few episodes) at a time? Wouldn't that suit Lynch in a way? To film/edit and get it out there sooner, then move on to the next thing? It seemed he complained about time constraints a lot with the 18 episode limited series. And I know, doing it like a more traditional TV series, would maybe have more time constraints, but at the same time, he could move from episode to episode quicker this way rather than having to shoot and edit it all which must be exhausting? Bottom line - do you think we'll ever see a TP season that's being filmed and in production as it airs or will future installments always have to be filmed/edited in entirety before being released?
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I don’t think anyone would know the answer for sure, but i would think that Showtime would have first dibs on any follow up to The Return. If Showtime execs decided they weren’t interested, that would release Lynch and Frost to shop it around to other platforms/networks.

Edit: As to the second question, I don’t think they’d return Peaks to episodic television.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think they could theoretically take a new season wherever they want, but L/F have a good relationship with Nevins and I think there is almost no chance of a new season going anywhere but Showtime.

As long as Lynch is going to direct all the material, I think it’s way more practical both in terms of time and budget to block shoot (i.e., shoot all the episodes at once, shooting out locations/actors as they go). Otherwise they’d be running back and forth to various locations, from Washington to California, etc. I can’t envision any upside in shooting on a traditional episodic schedule, it would just increase travel time and setups unnecessarily.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

mtwentz wrote:Edit: As to the second question, I don’t think they’d return Peaks to episodic television.
I think you're right about that. And definitely not network television. But surely not all Showtime shows are filmed in their entirety before they're released, are they? Couldn't they have some episodes in production as they're releasing others.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:As long as Lynch is going to direct all the material, I think it’s way more practical both in terms of time and budget to block shoot (i.e., shoot all the episodes at once, shooting out locations/actors as they go). Otherwise they’d be running back and forth to various locations, from Washington to California, etc. I can’t envision any upside in shooting on a traditional episodic schedule, it would just increase travel time and setups unnecessarily.
Ah ok. I'd love it if they could figure out a way to do this, maybe film exteriors first and on location shooting first, then do the rest on soundstages in LA. Sort of like how they did Season 1, even 2. Then we might get it sooner rather than waiting 6 months for Lynch to shoot everything first, then another year or however long in post-production.
Last edited by Jonah on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Kimmy Robertson (likely aware of the rumours) is the latest member of the cast to post a photo.

It's a throwback photo to the cast last year in New Zealand. But given all the TP-related social media posts in the last week and the rumours, I thought it was worth noting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Vaa6Jnc0B ... o2mfpyz9jz
Attachments
tweet.png
tweet.png (433.17 KiB) Viewed 6528 times
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think they could theoretically take a new season wherever they want, but L/F have a good relationship with Nevins and I think there is almost no chance of a new season going anywhere but Showtime.
Nevins was promoted last year and is basically in charge of CBS, as well as Showtime, now. He could decide that new TP could be used to pump up the CBS All Access streaming service.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

People thinking Peaks will go to Netflix have no understanding of the relationship between L/F and Showtime/CBS and are n00bs. It's not leaving.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Obnoxious and Anonymous, the same kindly folks – and they have a good track record, so no picketing them over the rumours, please
LOL
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.