Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by zeronumber »

mtwentz wrote:
zeronumber wrote:Not knowing about season 4 is provocative. Its exactly like Schordinger's cat.
A cat in a box that you cant see or listen into is left for a period of time.

After said time the question becomes...Is the cat alive, or dead. With no scientific way of ascertaining this, Schordinger used logistical mathematical deduction to show that the cat was Alive, and Dead, simultaneously. A curious assumption which may for some be complacent and indicative of pleasant presumption that the cat is not Surely Dead. I take solace in that until someone opens the box, where only then will the truth be known whether we need to get out our Shovels.
Knowing the history of sequels and continuations, I think there's a high likelihood we get more Twin Peaks, unless Lynch himself decides for artistic reasons that he wants The Return to be the last and final word.

Unlike George Lucas, I don't think Lynch would ever sell Twin Peaks to Disney, so it's really all up to Lynch. Either he says it's done once and for all, or he decides he has a new idea with which he is in love. I feel confident that Frost is up for anything.
...the box quivers...

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

mtwentz wrote:
zeronumber wrote:Not knowing about season 4 is provocative. Its exactly like Schordinger's cat.
A cat in a box that you cant see or listen into is left for a period of time.

After said time the question becomes...Is the cat alive, or dead. With no scientific way of ascertaining this, Schordinger used logistical mathematical deduction to show that the cat was Alive, and Dead, simultaneously. A curious assumption which may for some be complacent and indicative of pleasant presumption that the cat is not Surely Dead. I take solace in that until someone opens the box, where only then will the truth be known whether we need to get out our Shovels.
Knowing the history of sequels and continuations, I think there's a high likelihood we get more Twin Peaks, unless Lynch himself decides for artistic reasons that he wants The Return to be the last and final word.

Unlike George Lucas, I don't think Lynch would ever sell Twin Peaks to Disney, so it's really all up to Lynch. Either he says it's done once and for all, or he decides he has a new idea with which he is in love. I feel confident that Frost is up for anything.
Lynch said a few months ago this: It,s calling but there is a lot of interferences. At least ideas he has. He always has been opened to more. If Lynch and Frost don,t want more Twin Peaks, they say, don,t leave pass the time.
Burns's Suite

Post by Burns's Suite »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:From a practical standpoint I can imagine that Frost and Lynch care too much about Cooper and Laura to abandon them in such a predicament.
All things considered Lynch and Frost left Cooper in quite a predicament for two and a half decades, and Laura... well still being dead. I have complete confidence to say that if we ever get a season 4, it will end with Cooper forced into the corner and outsmarted by l otherworldly forces yet again. The only issue being that when/if this time ever arrives a lot of us will concede that this is truly the ending to Twin Peaks. Knowing there's little to no chance they'll take a swing at a season 5.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Burns's Suite wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:From a practical standpoint I can imagine that Frost and Lynch care too much about Cooper and Laura to abandon them in such a predicament.
All things considered Lynch and Frost left Cooper in quite a predicament for two and a half decades, and Laura... well still being dead. I have complete confidence to say that if we ever get a season 4, it will end with Cooper forced into the corner and outsmarted by l otherworldly forces yet again. The only issue being that when/if this time ever arrives a lot of us will concede that this is truly the ending to Twin Peaks. Knowing there's little to no chance they'll take a swing at a season 5.
If a season 4 comes in the future, I don't think it will end with Cooper being outsmarted again. I mean , come on they have already told that story. How many times would they tell us the same story?
Lynch and Frost are not lazy people.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I'm not 100 pct Cooper would be the focus of season 4, although he would almost certainly be one of the stars. We had 18 hours focusing on Cooper and his Odyssey. Maybe a new character would be introduced for a hypothetical S4.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

mtwentz wrote:I'm not 100 pct Cooper would be the focus of season 4, although he would almost certainly be one of the stars. We had 18 hours focusing on Cooper and his Odyssey. Maybe a new character would be introduced for a hypothetical S4.
If only ... Although I completely understand where your argument is coming from, getting real Cooper for - what? - maybe 20-30 % of the show was/is an all-time bummer for me.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Burns's Suite wrote:
I don't think it would end the same way because Season 4 would not relate to Season 3 in the same manner in which 3 relates to 1 and 2. What I mean is that Season 3 walked in the steps of the original series while refusing direct repetition or rehash, but there were many parallels. My opinion is that a fourth season would be a continuation of the third.

However, to argue in your favor, one might quickly sum up the endings of all three seasons:

01) Cooper gets shot.
02) Cooper gets possessed.
03) Cooper gets deconstructed.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I want Season 4 to be, versus what I think it'll actually be. Lynch in particular seems to resist the idea of "closure," and yet....he once gave us closure, in a sense, for Cooper and Laura at the end of FWWM, as they stand together in the Red Room and the Angel appears.

It leads me to wonder if, with season 4, it could all come back to that perfect ending again. Maybe this is just me fanboying, but I would love a potential season 4 to be about Cooper having brought Laura/Carrie Page back to the hometown she "vanished" from three decades prior (as per the new timeline). A final season maybe set entirely in Twin Peaks itself, as the people she left behind have to deal with the return of someone they long thought of as dead. (Even if she was just "missing," she had to have been presumed dead by all). Coop and Laura should be at the center of it all.

But I ultimately think, the final resolution for Cooper should be the realization that he cannot be the White Knight who saves everyone. That maybe Laura was meant to die, and he has to go back one more time, and let things unfold as they should have. He must undo the mistake he made out of hubris. In fact, maybe Coop should give his life up to ensure things go back to the way they were, in the past. And if the final images we see are the exact same ones as the end of FWWM. with Coop together with Laura laughing in the Lodge as the Angel arrives, I think it would be perfect.

But I'm sure we won't get that, if it happens. But who knows.
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Burns's Suite wrote:
Step By step. first of all, is a fourth season. By other side, i think that Twin Peaks won,t have a happy ending. it,s not a series of happy ending. it,s a mistery series y when finish, will be as the third season, in my opinión.
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:I've been thinking a lot lately about what I want Season 4 to be, versus what I think it'll actually be. Lynch in particular seems to resist the idea of "closure," and yet....he once gave us closure, in a sense, for Cooper and Laura at the end of FWWM, as they stand together in the Red Room and the Angel appears.

It leads me to wonder if, with season 4, it could all come back to that perfect ending again. Maybe this is just me fanboying, but I would love a potential season 4 to be about Cooper having brought Laura/Carrie Page back to the hometown she "vanished" from three decades prior (as per the new timeline). A final season maybe set entirely in Twin Peaks itself, as the people she left behind have to deal with the return of someone they long thought of as dead. (Even if she was just "missing," she had to have been presumed dead by all). Coop and Laura should be at the center of it all.

But I ultimately think, the final resolution for Cooper should be the realization that he cannot be the White Knight who saves everyone. That maybe Laura was meant to die, and he has to go back one more time, and let things unfold as they should have. He must undo the mistake he made out of hubris. In fact, maybe Coop should give his life up to ensure things go back to the way they were, in the past. And if the final images we see are the exact same ones as the end of FWWM. with Coop together with Laura laughing in the Lodge as the Angel arrives, I think it would be perfect.

But I'm sure we won't get that, if it happens. But who knows.
It,s a very good idea. i agree with you

I would love a season 4 with dead characters in the past and see their new versions. and cooper and laura with they. i would like a season 4 with cooper, laura and gordon as main characters. gordon will remember the no oficial versión with help of phillip jeffries. it would be very good.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I think we might get a happy ending or at least some closure with Season 4.
Mulholland Dr and Lost Highway still had some closure, while Blue Velvet also had a happy ending.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

krishnanspace wrote:I think we might get a happy ending or at least some closure with Season 4.
Mulholland Dr and Lost Highway still had some closure, while Blue Velvet also had a happy ending.
I felt totally lost at the end of Mulholland Drive. As in, "What the hell just happened?" I watched it again recently and just felt really sad as opposed to totally confused, but still, it's like a purgatory or something, I didn't get a sense of closure from it.

Lost Highway was similar, but in addition to the confusion, I was also shocked when it ended. For some reason, it seemed to go really quickly, and I had this sensation that it was ending way before I had any idea of what had occurred, and just like with Mulholland Drive, I was lost in the whole thing and very much puzzled. It felt like things were just starting and the carpet was yanked out from under me. It was so jarring.

Gotta say though, I'm not sure if closure is needed. Wouldn't that kind of curtail the endless thirst for answers, interpretations, explanations, perspective, expansion, and dreaming?
Last edited by Mr. Strawberry on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Sorry, accidental double post.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Both Mulholland Dr and Lost Highway have protagonists dying in the end and the story ends with their death. Whether the story was simple to understand or complex is a different thing. In case of Twin Peaks, we were asked a lot of questions one after the other and cut off in the end.
The first season ended without a closure but was followed with a Second Season. In the Second Season , the show had to end because of low ratings and we had no closure when it ended. Lynch and Frost wanted a Season 3 back then , but it wasnt in their control.
Lynch felt he wanted to still continue with Twin Peaks, so he made FWWM. That too raised a lot of questions with a little bit of closure. He had planned FWWM as a trilogy of films where the mysteries started by FWWM would be explored. Again due to bad reviews , Lynch's plans were halted.
Cut to 25 years later, we finally get Season 3 which starts with a lot of questions , seems to be answering a lot of questions and be on the right path till Part 17. Then comes Part 18 which ignores the first 17 parts lol and ends with a million questions. But this time, Lynch and Frost werent forced by executives or circumstances to end it abruptly.
I sometimes feel like they left a lot of questions , just so they have plot points for Season 4, so that the story feels natural and not forced.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IIRC, no one has ever been ever able to provide a source for “FWWM trilogy” rumor (I think maybe the closest wasab interviewer asking Engels—whose memory is notoriously iffy—whether they planned to make more TP movies, and he said something along the lines of, “That sounds right”).