Our abandoned, unofficial Season Three comic (!)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: Our abandoned, unofficial Season Three comic (!)

Post by N. Needleman »

Am I to assume the '50s thing came from the oft-mentioned idea for the '50s flashback Bob Engels mentioned re: FWWM?

Pity about Judy killing Agent Darrow. Also, I haven't finished the pilot but is it intentional that both Norma and Shelly seem very... off? Almost like their end of Twin Peaks has transmuted into Deer Meadow.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Fire-blog-with-me
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire-blog-with-me »

N. Needleman wrote:Am I to assume the '50s thing came from the oft-mentioned idea for the '50s flashback Bob Engels mentioned re: FWWM?

Pity about Judy killing Agent Darrow. Also, I haven't finished the pilot but is it intentional that both Norma and Shelly seem very... off? Almost like their end of Twin Peaks has transmuted into Deer Meadow.
Nice! I made the same connection re: the 50's concept from Engels. If so, I think it is fantastic that you all tried to resonate with legitimate concepts from the actual creators because it lends an authenticity to the fan work.
hanuman

Post by hanuman »

Hi. I also was one of the people working on this comic. (This is my first post to "World of Blue," so hello to everyone!)

I just wanted to jump on and say some more stuff we were planning. Further down the road in the plot, Harry Truman and the gang were going to go to Tibet (!).

A lot of the plot centers around these Triads - organized crime syndicates that were centered in Hong Kong and other areas in Asia (Josie had been an assassin working for one of them). It turns out that the most notoriously evil of these organizations is actually run by Dugpa - Tibetan sorcerers practicing a religion that is older and darker than Tibetan Buddhism. They were trading this oil that my buddy mentioned that can be used in a ritual to contact another plane. The trading routes went all the way up through Siberia, over the Bering Strait, and down the Pacific Northwest coast to... you guessed it... Twin Peaks.

There's an ancient arrangement of stones in Twin Peaks that leads up through this route... everything is secretly arranged along these lines. Because this had been going on for many centuries, long before the Europeans came to the area.

We delved deep into some of the religious beliefs of the Snoqualmies and other Native American groups living in the region and drew from these motifs for some of our ideas. We were especially interested in the legends of the "Stick People" that we more or less identified with the people who live above the convenience store in FWWM. In our story, some of these stories are related by a new character we created [I'm blanking on his name right now], a Native American who is also a devoted fan of the TV show "Dallas" which he has recorded on VHS.

There were also people practicing a kind of Pentacostal-ish Christian revival religion in the old abandoned train car... faith healings by an Anointed One who turns out to be Johnny Horne.

I'll write more as I think of it....
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

Hanuman (see above) was our main source of esoteric historical lore for the project -- actually, for months I kept hearing that he had a whole storyline worked out for season three of Twin Peaks and part of the reason I proposed making it all into a comic was just so I could hear it all in minute detail. Of course, as we dove into it we ended up fleshing it out even more (and changing it a bit in the process, I think).
N. Needleman wrote:Am I to assume the '50s thing came from the oft-mentioned idea for the '50s flashback Bob Engels mentioned re: FWWM?

I can't remember if the 50s thing was specifically inspired by Engels' plans, but we definitely read up on what had originally been planned for season 3. Stuff like Judy being Josie's twin sister, and driving BOB backwards into the Lodge. The 50s flashback would have been super cool, though. We planned to open it by Truman falling asleep, then suddenly finding himself in an unfamiliar home. He goes to the bathroom, looks in the mirror, and sees BOB's face staring back. He hasn't been possessed by BOB, though -- Truman is actually inside BOB's (human) body, back in the 50s. We would then see what BOB's life was like as a carny back before he got pulled into the Lodge.

And yes, the Norma and Shelly thing was intentional. We had the idea that Twin Peaks was undergoing a "Deer Meadowification", becoming more dark due to BOB/Cooper's activities. The boundary between worlds was becoming more thin.

Eventually this was to have culminated in the two worlds converging, and the titular peaks converging Mad Magazine fold-in style to reveal a hidden THIRD peak, where the Dugpa reside.

It's probably a good thing that the real Season Three brought our project to a halt, because we were super ambitious and this would have taken us years and years to make a reality.
Neosmith
Roadhouse Member

Post by Neosmith »

Wow, this all sounds pretty amazing. I'm curious - did you work out what the rules of the Black Lodge would've been in terms of how it operates, how the whole possession thing works, etc.? Is there a bible that you invented to keep things consistent?
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Thank you for posting this.

I'll give it a read this evening. Looks great. For all that's intriguing in the new show, it's interesting to imagine a season three from the era of the original show/FWWM.