Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Si78
RR Diner Member

Re: Recommendations for Watching While Waiting for Season 3

Post by Si78 »

I'm loving the OA on Netflix. Like (the first half of) Twin Peaks the show has a unique tone and is completely sure of itself. Whether you like the content (which is nothing like TP) may be another matter. I don't even want to say what it's about. Just watch the first episode.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Cool- this is definitely going on the list (after Stranger Things).

I finally finished True Detective last night, and I ended up really liking it as a whole.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

So I just finished the OA and be warned, the ending is... interesting. I still liked it quite a bit.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Utopia (UK TV series)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I'm watching Frasier at the moment. It may seem really weird, and totally disconnected from Twin Peaks, but it's set in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle primarily. It has strong, funny, weird characters, and no small amount of pathos. It gives me the same cosy feelings that Twin Peaks does when I watch it in the evenings.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Frasier was required viewing back in the day. I can't remember which series I dropped out in, but it was still excellent by the time I stopped (I just didn't have a TV for a few years).
Jacoby

Post by Jacoby »

Si78 wrote:So I just finished the OA and be warned, the ending is... interesting. I still liked it quite a bit.
I'm not a vocal viewer, but I said variations of "Are they serious????" out loud so many times during that last episode. I liked the first few episodes despite some flaws.... then things just kept getting more and more questionable (story, motivations, etc), and then by the time the last episode was over with, it did nothing but magnify all the issues from before.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

I suggested The OA after getting to episode 5 or 6 and I kind of had to walk it back after that ending. The show still has merit though and kept me pretty captivated for my entire day off. But yeah... I can't fully recommend it for everyone anymore.
QueerStreet

Post by QueerStreet »

If anyone's interested, Grace Zabriskie will floor you in Outcast - she's still got it. The show is mostly so-so but her scenes are truly electric, visceral.
Hey: look at me and tell me if you've known me before
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

QueerStreet wrote:If anyone's interested, Grace Zabriskie will floor you in Outcast - she's still got it. The show is mostly so-so but her scenes are truly electric, visceral.
Agreed! She did a great job! That, plus her amazing job on the "Between Two Worlds" segment have me even more excited to see her in S3. Not to mention her outstanding work in the Missing Pieces. I really missed Sarah in the back half of the original series.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

From my home country, I reccomend most movies made by Alex van Warmerdam. Especially his movie Borgman (2013) is pretty dang Lynchian.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Just saw the two first episodes of the second season of The Missing (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3877200/).

Pretty good!
"Your log and I are on the same page."
QueerStreet

Post by QueerStreet »

Soolsma wrote:Borgman (2013) is pretty dang Lynchian.
Borgman was a gem: a true mystery and I loved the odd humour. Mysteries by definition shouldn't be solved to absolute transparency - that's when their unique allure,
enigma and profundity escapes. Have you seen Dumont's Hors Satan - it's slightly more brutal and far bleaker yet equally absurd and impenetrable.
Hey: look at me and tell me if you've known me before
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

QueerStreet wrote:Mysteries by definition shouldn't be solved to absolute transparency - that's when their unique allure, enigma and profundity escapes.
This, a thousand times this.

By making that statement you've definitely convinced me to check out Hors Satan for my next movie session. Just watched the trailer and it gave me a bit of a Von Trier vibe. I'll let you know how it works out for me.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

For a unique, gorgeous looking film, that covers dream logic and philosophical themes such as existentialism, without too much emphasis on narrative, check out Waking Life by Richard Linklater. One of my favorites of all time.