The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by AXX°N N. »

Hester Prynne wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:
LateReg wrote: I think there's a very conscious element at play. If it's not exactly about reclaiming the show, specifically, it's always struck me as very consciously about the dangers of wanting to dig back into the past.
For the first time I see the potential meta-textual element of Cooper looking back at Laura, and in so doing, losing her -- as if Lynch and Frost have performed the same action.
It's interesting to think about certain scenes from Season 3 in this context. I wonder if the journey is more about when Lynch/Frost lost Laura when the original run was canceled - that Season 3 was always about finding Laura again and returning "home" or at the point where the story first began. The scene that really sticks out to me is in Episode 17 when Cooper returns to a scene from FWWM, which is Laura's story, to "find her." Then as he tells her he's taking her "home," she's ripped away from his hand. There's also Leland's "find Laura," Laura being ripped out of the Red Room - even Audrey's questions to Charlie about what story she's in, being confused about who and where she is, her fixation on "finding" Billy - it seems like so much of the show had characters disoriented, lost, or in search of something - the Log Lady's message to Hawk that he "missed something" and they were missing pages of Laura's diary - so much of it seems like a metaphor for Lynch/Frost losing Laura and finding her again, but recognizing that what's done is done, and no matter how many different incarnations of Twin Peaks there are, the story will always end where it began.
That's definitely how I've come to characterize the Audrey story-line. She almost seems to be challenging the show, attempting to become the main character, which hearkens back to her near death experience trying to uncover Laura's traces in the original seasons. Except this time, in a season whose avant-garde qualities have included more characters than ever in its strange realms, Audrey is almost punished, it seems, pushing the envelope too far when she literally tries to take center stage. However I feel there's something optimistic about her snapping to the white room--it can only be a good thing, considering the terror she just escaped. Perhaps the white room is transcendence from the bounds of the narrative she found herself confused inside? Whereas Cooper sinks so deep he dives into the darkest territory.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Bob Ross - Towering Peaks (Season 10 Episode 1)

Towering_Peaks.jpeg
Towering_Peaks.jpeg (123.82 KiB) Viewed 11622 times
“If you had a beautiful place like this, you’d have to have a way to get up here and catch that big trout that lives in there.”

In other words, catching the big...trout. (Failing that, perhaps twelve smaller rainbow trout.)
Pete.jpeg
Pete.jpeg (221.04 KiB) Viewed 11622 times
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Shelley!
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Has anyone been watching Sharp Objects? Feels a little like Peaks set in the South.

Also, lots of ceiling fan shots.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Hester Prynne wrote:Has anyone been watching Sharp Objects? Feels a little like Peaks set in the South.

I've heard its good.Need to watch it
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Hester Prynne wrote:Has anyone been watching Sharp Objects? Feels a little like Peaks set in the South.

Here are some more shots of ceiling fans for your enjoyment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zG7D2DqXs
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:

Here are some more shots of ceiling fans for your enjoyment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zG7D2DqXs
Awesome! Thank you! :lol:
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

I started a new job about a month ago. I am a baker at a busy local farmers market in a small town. Our most popular item is our pies. I make lots of truly excellent Cherry pies. Our mascot is Mr. Strawberry. During Thanksgiving one of the staffers dresses in a giant strawberry costume. That's Mr. Strawberry.

I was a butcher for 20 years prior.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Just watched Mulholland Drive last night, for the first time since it was released. I had forgotten most of what happens because of the nearly 20 year gap, so when Rebekah Del Rio was suddenly announced I yelled, "What?! What is this?! I'm gettin' fuckin' Roadhoused in Mulholland Drive!"

By the way, what a scary and dismal film. An excellent delivery of very unpleasant and dreary subject matter. I am glad this ended up not being about Audrey, but upon reflection, realized that Lynch and Frost have had it out for her a very long time, either way.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Jackpots wrote:I started a new job about a month ago. I am a baker at a busy local farmers market in a small town. Our most popular item is our pies. I make lots of truly excellent Cherry pies. Our mascot is Mr. Strawberry. During Thanksgiving one of the staffers dresses in a giant strawberry costume. That's Mr. Strawberry.

I was a butcher for 20 years prior.
Speak of the devil...

Anyway, since you've been a butcher and a baker, you might have been told that next you should become a candlestick maker in order to complete the triad. I'd tend to agree. Only then will you be whole.

A butcher is like Mr. C, who's a killer, and a baker is like Dougie-Coop, who really enjoys chocolate cake and shows up with a magical cherry pie. After you've made your first candlestick, and you go to light the candle, you must intone "Fire walk with me." (It might also help to recite "I'm a little teapot".) You'll be transported back to 1989 where you can tell me which stocks to buy. Thanks!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

HELLO! HELLO!
HELLO! GIVE ME SOME GOOD NEWS!

Mayday.jpg
Mayday.jpg (118.88 KiB) Viewed 11205 times
Sure is quiet.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Certainly is.

I've finished my rewatch now, and am just quietly hoping for more Peaks!

Watching Out 1 has definitely filled the gap though, and I'm also watching Sapphire and Steel for the first time which provides a nice dose of weirdness and WTF moments.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

There was a lot of activity in the world of Twin Peaks, and I think it sort of peaked (sorry) with the recent panel. It was kind of addictive. Now we're in a lull with no interesting quotes coming out, no nominations, no big events, etc. It's also August, which is a major vacation time.

The Emmy Awards are on Nov. 19, and, well, who knows how that will go, what with the very weird Twin Peaks snubs. However that shakes out, things should get interesting again at the end of the month when a lot of the Twin Peaks cast start doing their Australian tour, which apparently will feature some Q&A interaction with Lynch via Skype (or something).
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

well, sabrina had a non-committal quote about season 4 in an interview about the tour down under, if you're looking for something to hold onto.

http://moviehole.net/2018141602twin-pea ... r-season-4