Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Re: SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime SPOILERS Thre

Post by Metamorphia »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Given Lynch's proclivity to stick with whatever he made (refusing to even do a director's cut for Dune, for example) I am skeptical that he would re-edit the material OR crop the episodes for widescreen. Obviously George Lucas gets the most crap for it, but it seems to be a fairly common trait among many filmmakers (just the other day I was reading about essay filmmaker Thom Andersen making numerous changes to his own work, which he didn't see as a problem). Lynch seems to be one of the few who feels that once it is released, you don't revise it, unless I'm missing some precedent here. (He did re-edit Eraserhead after its first screening but that was his first film and I don't think it had been officially "released" yet; likewise with WAH after Cannes, which I think was mostly for the ratings board.)
Are we talking about editing it for the re-runs here? Because cropping to 16:9 results in a pretty radical loss of quality. And then of course you're losing information from the image so the composition becomes skewed - I can guarantee this will never happen unless Showtime completely go around him in doing this. Even then it's very unlikely as shows like Star Trek TNG get shown in 4:3 as they should on TV.

Unless you're talking about scenes from the original show being reused in part in the 2017 series and in which case cropping may have to be done just to maintain continuity.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Metamorphia wrote:
Ross wrote:I'm really wondering if they will be cropped to widescreen?
Why would it be? Pre-2000 era TV shows get shown all the time in the correct aspect ratio. The only exception is stuff like The X Files where it has the ability to be opened up.
Do they get shown all the time though? It seems more and more rare to see older shows in the old ratio. I've seen a ton of old shows being played in HD zoomed and cropped. For example, Hart to Hart, Charlie's Angels, Fantasy Island, etc.

And I have no idea if the premium channels play much in the old ratio. I'm sure they will play them as Lynch wants them, which I would assume would be as they were originally (and are on blu). I was just wondering though since it seems more and more common to see old shows cropped.

(The menu Atmospherics on the blu rays are cropped into widescreen.)
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
ThatGumULike

Post by ThatGumULike »

Maybe they'll show all of the original series as a marathon on New Year's Day, and then start the new season on Jan. 2...

A guy can dream, right? :D
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Ross wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:
Ross wrote:I'm really wondering if they will be cropped to widescreen?
Why would it be? Pre-2000 era TV shows get shown all the time in the correct aspect ratio. The only exception is stuff like The X Files where it has the ability to be opened up.
Do they get shown all the time though? It seems more and more rare to see older shows in the old ratio. I've seen a ton of old shows being played in HD zoomed and cropped. For example, Hart to Hart, Charlie's Angels, Fantasy Island, etc.

And I have no idea if the premium channels play much in the old ratio. I'm sure they will play them as Lynch wants them, which I would assume would be as they were originally (and are on blu). I was just wondering though since it seems more and more common to see old shows cropped.

(The menu Atmospherics on the blu rays are cropped into widescreen.)
The only time I know issues happen (at least here in the UK) is on the standard-def channels. I don't know if this is even a thing any more in the US but here we still have channels like BBC 1 and BBC 1 HD, and for some reason 4:3 content is automatically stretched to fill 16:9 (shudder, everyone looks about 240 lbs) when on the standard-def variety. You see it all the time when re-runs or the Sunday afternoon Hitchcock movie gets shown. But outside of that weird discrepancy shows are almost always shown in their correct aspect ratio thank god. All the Star Treks, Twilight Zone etc.

Worrying if this is happening in the US, though. We're pretty good here barring the glitchy issue above. But I think Twin Peaks will have a certain David Lynch footprint in it whereby his wishes will be maintained and it'll be shown exactly as it was, ported straight over from the 2011 Blu Ray masters in the correct 4:3.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

I think they'll air the reruns in a marathon over a weekend (possibly multiple times) and then make them available on-demand, kinda like how FXX did with The Simpsons. That's how people consume old content these days. It will still be at least a month or two before the new series premieres though, to give new viewers time to catch up. I'm sticking with my prediction of February 12th, the week after the Super Bowl.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Re: Let's e-mail the Showtime bosses about the reruns

Post by ForKeeps »

Great job Lost. And it's good to see that Nevins appreciates the fans and will respond to something like that this that most people would consider a minor concern. You can tell he's as excited as we are.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

ForKeeps wrote:That's how people consume old content these days.
True, but since the content is already available for that sort of consumption on Netflix, Hulu, IMDb, etc, that seems to defeat the purpose of re-presenting them on Showtime. It makes the rerun less of an event (encouraging people to just go the more convenient route & watch on Netflix) and would discourage venues from running episode guides to coincide with the re-airing. And if there's too much space between that marathon and the new series, it loses the sense of momentum. You may be right - but I'm hoping they do it at least day-by-day (week-by-week would be too far in the other direction).
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

ForKeeps wrote:Great job Lost. And it's good to see that Nevins appreciates the fans and will respond to something like that this that most people would consider a minor concern. You can tell he's as excited as we are.
Yeah, between this and other stuff I've heard (I remember during the crisis last year people posting that Nevins actually personally replied to worried emails with "We're working on it!" type messages), seems like he's a really great supporter to have in Lynch's corner.

At this point I'm tempted to call him the greatest benefactor to an individual artist since George Schaefer gave Orson Welles his unheard-of contract at RKO. And I don't mean that as hyperbole - this really is an astonishing, incredible turn of events. Twin Peaks 2017 could be as revolutionary on television as Citizen Kane was in cinema, and I only hope Nevins fares better in the wake of his gamble than Schaeffer did.
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Sun May 15, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frahm9
Roadhouse Member

Post by frahm9 »

Wow, it worked. Thanks for trying, Lost. That's very good news.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Re: Showtime to Re-broadcast Original Series Early Next Year

Post by Robot Butler »

Showtime has the on demand feature, so Showtime can burn through the reruns on air fairly quickly as a formality/promotion, while people can catch up on their own time.

Would seem to make the most sense to me.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Thank you, LostInTheMovies!

Since Twin Peaks is streaming in so many places, I bet Showtime will just air a few marathons of the original series... not weekly episodes.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

I think the re-broadcast is a neat little side promotion for the new series, but I don't think it's going to be an "event". It's already available in other markets many of us have access to right now. So.... ho hum.

I certainly don't think we can try to deduce the premiere date for the new series from it. (Though I'm still betting two weeks after the Superbowl fwiw)
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

Robot Butler wrote:. It's already available in other markets many of us have access to right now.
This.

Also we live in the age of binge-watching. The original series has a bunch of episodes ending on insane cliff-hangers, there is no point in doing this slowly without a lot of the audiences who start getting interested choosing to switch to another medium.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Much speculation on here related to how the "25 years later" will fit into the airing-date of the new season. Don't you think as the series was actually filmed in 2015/2016, there is a good chance the new season will somehow open with telling us: "we are now in 2016" giving them as much flexibility as possible to when it is actually aired?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

chalfont wrote:Much speculation on here related to how the "25 years later" will fit into the airing-date of the new season. Don't you think as the series was actually filmed in 2015/2016, there is a good chance the new season will somehow open with telling us: "we are now in 2016" giving them as much flexibility as possible to when it is actually aired?
I think it's gonna be set in 2014... In-universe, Laura spoke in late March 1989!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.