The _ _ _ _ _ _ Show (S3 casting - or non-cast - spoilers)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Re: The _ _ _ _ _ _ Show (S3 casting - or non-cast - spoiler

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Snailhead wrote:I liked Ontkean's Harry, but this is a recasting that has actually increased my excitement of the show. He is terrific in Jackie Brown. Even his brief appearance in Mulholland Drive, he exudes a strong presence.

Moira Kelly's Donna never bothered me, it actually enriched the character to see a "doppelganger" portraying her, and it worked narratively. Donna probably went through a massive change in the events of FWWM - after her harrowing night out with Laura she probably became almost like a new person.

I feel like this is a similar situation, in that Truman became a very changed man, thus the change of actor, while likely jarring at first, will fit really well.
25 years have passed. normal is meet with a Truman very changed, we'll see how far, but as arbogast said in his day, we are quite surprised with the change.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

N. Needleman wrote:While Harry undoubtedly was hurting from what happened to Josie, I didn't see the man in episodes 25-29 as traumatized or having his faith in the innate goodness of the town or his worldview shaken beyond repair. He seemed to be recovering remarkably well. Some of that was the function of the plot of course, but I didn't see him as in a bad place.

Could he go there depending on what happened following episode 29? Absolutely. But I didn't see it in the run-up very much.
That slant was my somewhat dramatic interpretation of his overall arc from TMP to ep29, I should've said so, sorry.
On the other hand, if you'll forgive the brief off-topic, I do call bad writing on his utter lack of emotional presence in between "teetotaling and prayer" and the finale. I'm no fan of Cooper waxing poetic twice over about his new love to someone who's just lost his (rude!!) and I'm no fan of his nonexistent reaction. I file it in the same complaints folder as, most notably, Audrey suddenly forgetting all the burden of her OEJ arc and Maddy's death being swept under the rug as quickly as possible...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Boy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Boy »

Do we really know Ontkean won't be Truman. All we know is he said last year on the phone he won't be shooting in Washington and some article said Robert Forster is playing a new sheriff which could easily be misinterpret him playing Truman 'cause he was once supposed to.

I wish Forster's character is a whole new character
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Boy wrote:Do we really know Ontkean won't be Truman. All we know is he said last year on the phone he won't be shooting in Washington and some article said Robert Forster is playing a new sheriff which could easily be misinterpret him playing Truman 'cause he was once supposed to.

Nope.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Boy wrote:Do we really know Ontkean won't be Truman. All we know is he said last year on the phone he won't be shooting in Washington and some article said Robert Forster is playing a new sheriff which could easily be misinterpret him playing Truman 'cause he was once supposed to.

Robert Forster is Playing Sheriff Harry S. Truman. to the 200%
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Twin Peaks was riffing on the old 1980s soap operas like Dallas and Dynasty and daytime soaps (hence Invitation to Love) and the acting wasn't generally any worse than you'd find in those.

Also, recasting characters is very common in those sorts of soaps, so it's kind of fitting that 'season 26' of Twin Peaks will have some different actors. Remember how Dallas recast Miss Ellie for one season due to Barbara Bel Geddes having cancer treatment? In Dark Shadows, Nancy Barrett had flu and her character was recast for a single episode because she was too ill to appear that day.

So, while its a shame not to see that particular version of a character again, it's not without precedent.
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

Coming back to BOB, I read the other day a tweet from spanish filmmaker Nacho Vigalondo (Timecrimes director and a huge fan of Twin Peaks) in which he theorized about his ideal recast for Frank Silva. Do you know who was his choice? Tilda Swinton.

Don't you think she would be TERRIFIC in the role??

FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Regarding the Ontkean-Forster shebang, here's what someone wrote today on Twin Peaks Worldwide FB page (when commenting the Forster's TP photo that got leaked recently): "He's not playing Truman. I have a source inside the production that says, while he is indeed the new sheriff, he's actually a different character named Git Oberett...whatever that is"

Interesting ...
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Hilarity unbound.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I take it it's confirmed that Forster has been recast as Truman? I haven't been reading this forum much of late and am out of the loop...

If so, I take it as a matter of the story taking precedent. Truman the character was important to the story Lynch and Frost wanted to tell and for whatever reason it wasn't going to work out with Ontkean (these are all assumptions of willfully out of the loop, so if any part of that is wrong feel free to set me straight). IMO in that situation recasting is the lesser evil than changing the story to incorporate a new character who would not have the backstory that Truman has. It's not an ideal situation, but if Ontkean isn't coming back, there may be no choice. I have to put my trust in Lynch and Frost that the character was indefensible to the story they want to tell and this was their only choice.

BTW am I alone on an island to consider it absurd that recasting Truman should be considered a "spoiler"? What is the scenario where a member of the audience would be better off learning of a recast when they are watching the show? Spoilers are about story and I suppose it is story related that Truman will return, not having an adjustment period to adapt to the notion of a recast outweighs it considerably. I'm glad to know now if it is indeed the case.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

FrightNight wrote:Regarding the Ontkean-Forster shebang, here's what someone wrote today on Twin Peaks Worldwide FB page (when commenting the Forster's TP photo that got leaked recently): "He's not playing Truman. I have a source inside the production that says, while he is indeed the new sheriff, he's actually a different character named Git Oberett...whatever that is"

Interesting ...
Robert Forster is Playing Sheriff Harry S. Truman. not that more tests are needed to convince. the picture should be more than enough, apart from all "official reports" say that Robert Forster is Truman.
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

FrightNight wrote:Regarding the Ontkean-Forster shebang, here's what someone wrote today on Twin Peaks Worldwide FB page (when commenting the Forster's TP photo that got leaked recently): "He's not playing Truman. I have a source inside the production that says, while he is indeed the new sheriff, he's actually a different character named Git Oberett...whatever that is"

Interesting ...
I heard Forster's new sheriff is named either Hue Jokin or Mr. Aru Sirois
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Clueless wrote:
I heard Forster's new sheriff is named either Hue Jokin or Mr. Aru Sirois
LMAO

i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

Hopper wrote: Don't you think she would be TERRIFIC in the role??
YOU know what? it actually would be very cool
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know