Beyond Season 3?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Re: Beyond Season 3?

Post by FrightNight »

it would be about money/fan service, and I have no interest in that. Twin Peaks is not Marvel. I personally don't want spin offs and new seasons every year. This is special because Lynch and Frost came together after such a long time and had a story that they wanted to tell and they're doing it with 100% creative freedom.
As of now, we have absolutely no evidence that possible post-S3 continuation would be based on money/fan service, providing the show would stay in the realm of Lynch's & Frost's control. It's precisely the fact that the two came together after such a long time that strives me to think they have a plethora of ideas they'd maybe like to explore beyond just these 10, 12 or 18 episodes we're now getting. You'd do well to remember the authors' fondness for CONTINUING story format, for developing an idea, themes, (sub)plots and characters over a longer period of time; had they wished to whisk it off and be done with it after the initial mystery (Laura Palmer's murder) had been resolved, they wouldn't have fought as hard as they did to save it from cancellation back in '91, coming up with a number of cliffhangers for the last episode as a desperate, last minute ploy to prolong its life - and this was after the series has arguably gone to pot (not my view in the least!), the ratings dropping dramatically and even Lynch and Frost basically abandoning it in the second half of S 2 to pursue other projects. Alas, it wasn't meant to be, but maybe it's meant to finally be NOW. Namely, a lot of things happened in the meantime, TV landscape and the way its stories are told have undergone dramatic changes, the ratings are no longer as vitally important as they were back then (had they been, we never would have gotten seasons 2-5 of The Wire, for instance) and TP itself has become this larger-than-life cult phenomenon that new and new generations (of audiences as well as film-/showmakers) are discovering and pledging allegiance to, so I see no need to be done with it in a hurry, without exploring numerous possibilites its extended lease of life is bringing to the table. Of course, this only with its two original conceivers on board and ruling it all with an iron fist :D

As to TP not being Marvel, I totally get you and couldn't agree more!
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

It would be great to see another season after this, but really, think about how much work is going into this upcoming installment - after a lengthy writing process and an eight-month shoot followed by a long post - I have a hard time believing Lynch would want to dive back in and do it all over again. This is also assuming he is heavily involved in the soundtrack as well. And if he did do it all over again, how long would it take to make? Of course, they could turn it over to other people, but I just don't see that happening. It's Lynch and Frost's baby and no one understands it like they do. Realistically, I'm expecting this to be it on the small screen for Peaks, but I do hope a few more books and multimedia things can sprout out of it. Then again, realistically, I didn't think a revival would ever happen two years ago.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Brad D wrote:It would be great to see another season after this, but really, think about how much work is going into this upcoming installment - after a lengthy writing process and an eight-month shoot followed by a long post - I have a hard time believing Lynch would want to dive back in and do it all over again. This is also assuming he is heavily involved in the soundtrack as well. And if he did do it all over again, how long would it take to make? Of course, they could turn it over to other people, but I just don't see that happening. It's Lynch and Frost's baby and no one understands it like they do. Realistically, I'm expecting this to be it on the small screen for Peaks, but I do hope a few more books and multimedia things can sprout out of it. Then again, realistically, I didn't think a revival would ever happen two years ago.
Yup, that pretty much sums it up. About 4 years writing the scripts, 1 year of negotiations/pre-production, 8 months of filming and almost a year of post production. It's a lot, especially for a 70 year old Lynch. And as you said, I doubt that Lynch & Frost want to leave their baby to other people's hands again. That's why they wrote it themselves, when they could easily approach Harley Peyton or Robert Engels to work with them.

Anyway, I think it's way too early to talk about a possible S4. We have plenty of things to look forward atm. Frost's book is coming in October, we have about a year until the new series airs and it could last up until 18 hours. Let's focus and have fun with what we have now and when it's all over, then we can see where we are and where we can go from there. I'm sure Lynch & Frost will do the same. :wink:
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
dud
RR Diner Member

Post by dud »

Brad D wrote:It would be great to see another season after this, but really, think about how much work is going into this upcoming installment - after a lengthy writing process and an eight-month shoot followed by a long post - I have a hard time believing Lynch would want to dive back in and do it all over again. This is also assuming he is heavily involved in the soundtrack as well. And if he did do it all over again, how long would it take to make? Of course, they could turn it over to other people, but I just don't see that happening. It's Lynch and Frost's baby and no one understands it like they do. Realistically, I'm expecting this to be it on the small screen for Peaks, but I do hope a few more books and multimedia things can sprout out of it. Then again, realistically, I didn't think a revival would ever happen two years ago.
i could only see it happening if they were really inspired and the fourth season was shorter, like the size of the original 9 episode order for season 3
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

For me few more seasons of Twin Peaks, the better. I am passionate about the series, but considering all the work involved as ye have said before, I imagine the book and the new episodes, will be satisfied our thirst of twin peaks.

And if each of the episodes was 2 hours would pump !! then there would be plenty material.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I still think we will likely get a kind of 'Season 4' when all is said and done, given the mammoth size of the production. Not because I think they'll go back and film another round, but I think the episodes be split up into two runs and the second may well be considered a second (fourth) series.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

I don't want to see any more beyond what we have coming to us now, whether that takes the form of one or two more seasons. I can't imagine that Lynch will commit like this again and so, even if he was to be heavily involved in a projected future of the show, any future seasons with multiple other directors and other writing staff would seem, could not help but seem, like a comparative let down, watered down Peaks after such an undiluted presentation. And, frankly, I can't imagine the wisdom of proceeding on in such a fashion to end in some other way then what we'll get here. Would they really want to risk that, especially after looking back at the example of season 2?
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

And, frankly, I can't imagine the wisdom of proceeding on in such a fashion to end in some other way then what we'll get here. Would they really want to risk that, especially after looking back at the example of season 2?
They would risk it. IF there's more story to tell. Taking in account everything that's been said and written about this revival, I remain unconvinced there won't be ...

And I don't buy these "other people would dilute Lynch's brilliant, untainted vision" arguments. If that's the way one looks at it, how can it be that he's a fan of the original Peaks?..
John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

FrightNight wrote:And I don't buy these "other people would dilute Lynch's brilliant, untainted vision" arguments. If that's the way one looks at it, how can it be that he's a fan of the original Peaks?..
Well, technically I'm more of a fan of Lynch than Peaks if you want to get right down to it. But, having said that, I adore Peaks warts and all so I don't really have a lot of complaints about the second season; I find a lot of that stuff endearing and I'm sure I would again here if that situation repeated itself. But the disruption to the flow of consistent quality was very real and we never had a situation on the original series like what we have here with Lynch essentially controlling all of it, not just "setting the tone". The circumstances thus become very different as regards the potential for any further continuance.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think there's a very, very, very slim chance any of them are going to go back to film another series when this is through, but then I never thought this would happen at all.

If they did, could I see them bringing back Peyton and Engels, or introducing new blood from their own friends and family as before? Sure, and I'd welcome it. But it would be very different.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

If they did, could I see them bringing back Peyton and Engels, or introducing new blood from their own friends and family as before? Sure, and I'd welcome it. But it would be very different.
As Season 2 was a very very different thing than Season 1 which set the golden standard the whole of TP is still being measured in accordance to - at least in the media and audience mainstream. And yet, even after all the hardships and bashings S 2 underwent, even after they basically have all but said "To hell with it" during its course, Lynch & Frost still wanted the series to continue when it was time to wrap up the tent :)
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

In fact, Lynch is on currently on fire and wants to keep going.
Hence, Season 4 pre-production should begin sometime around Season 3 premiere airs :D
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

I don't think we can really get too much into this discussion without seeing what they have in store for us in season 3.

Given Lynch and Frost wrote the script over a 3 or 4 year period, I have a feeling that what we will get will have a very definitive ending. I don't think they'd want to leave the fans with a massive 'How's Annie' cliffhanger again.

That being said, the thought of a multi-season Twin Peaks would definitely be something that I'd be interested in. I've obsessed over this show for 25 years so the thought of having it in my life again for a few years is one that excites me very much. Obviously it would need to be done properly and have a focus and a vision. If Lynch and Frost were to take a step back after these 18 (?!) episodes then I'd hate for any further season(s) to take a nosedive in the same way that dreaded stretch of season 2 did.

However, if they worked out some sort of deal where the show could continue with Mark Frost and a writers room of good talent with Lynch directing the major episodes, then I'd be absolutely 100% on board with this.

In my gut though, I feel that this is it. We are going to follow Cooper's story to it's conclusion and I'm not sure what will be left to say after that.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Sneakydave (as one fellow original TP fan to another :wink:) those are basically my feelings as well - really, couldn't have said it better if I tried.

As to the (im)possibility of any additional story material to explore in future seasons, there's more to Twin Peaks than Cooper (this coming from a lifelong fan of his) ... Quite a lot more, I feel.