Favorite episodes (and directors) of Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Favorite episodes (and directors) of Twin Peaks

Post by LostInTheMovies »

BOB1 wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote: I often tell people who are having trouble with the pilot.
Do such people exist? :shock:
Ha, yeah, a lot of people now (sadly) seem hung up on the soap opera aspects and find the music and performance style distracting. Which may mean it's hopeless anyway but...my feeling is even if they are not going to like Twin Peaks they should not be allowed to die without having at least seen the Red Room scene. Period.

Plus I like to shock them if they think they know what to expect from the pilot.

Anyway, I actually did not get to see the pilot until after ep. 1 & 2 because I started watching the series before the Gold Box. I stopped after ep. 2, realizing how much I was going to like Twin Peaks and wanting to re-start it properly. So I'll never know how I would have reacted coming to it fresh!

Personally, I have tremendous respect for the pilot (which is beautifully structured and executed) and would definitely rank it among my top episodes but I'll also admit it doesn't "grab" me in the same way ep. 14 & 29 do. I think this is partly to do with where Lynch was at in his career. If there's a first and second stage to his work (and I think there are, although there's a lot of different ways you can look at his body of work) then the beginning of Twin Peaks lies in the first stage and the ending lies in the second. He had really transformed as a filmmaker over the course of its run, and even more so by the time Fire Walk With Me came out. I find Lynch's early works are a little cooler and more distanced/restrained while his later films are messier and more immediate/passionate. There are other differences as well: tendency toward male vs. female protagonists, dual narratives, less optimistic conclusions.

They are works I admire more than fall in love with (which is not a knock - Eraserhead may in fact be Lynch's most perfect movie). But the films that hook me most, that I revisit and feel the most moved by are his later ones. Anyway, for me Twin Peaks falls into this pattern as well. The pilot feels like a sibling of Blue Velvet in many ways while Fire Walk With Me arguably has more in common, stylistically and narratively, with Mulholland Drive (or heck, even Inland Empire though that would be a tougher case to make) than Blue Velvet. This is just personal preference, though - I think they're all tremendous accomplishments.

Btw - out of curiosity (since we're talking personal preference!) - what is it about ep. 2 that doesn't capture you as much as the others?
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

That's a hard thing to say. First, I wouldn't say it at all. I love all Season 1 episodes. But yes, undoubtedly I prefer Eps 4-7 (or even 3-7) than the first two. Why? Hmmmmmmm.

Hmmmmm.

One idea: what I appreciate the most in Season 1 is how 100% consistent it is. It's like a perfect body, everything works perfectly with everything. There are other merits to appreciate, too. For example - single great scenes. But that's what I look for in Season 2. Practically all my favourite scenes of Twin Peaks are in Season 2. In Season 1 I look more for what is between the lines, between the scenes, the quality sum of all scenes taken one by one is much lower than the overall quality, so to say. And Episode 2 is more like hop-from-one-great-scene-to-another. Trademarks: rocks and bottles and the dream. Great scenes: the Horne dinner, Albert's arrival, Leland dancing. It's all good, very good, but for me not AS good as the top moments of Season 2, and not as fluent as my favourite Season 1 episodes.
Lame explanation... ;)

Still better than people who have problems with the Pilot... Image

By the way, great thoughts about Lynch's early and late works. That'd be a great topic on its own (not that I have anything against off-topicking, I LOVE it!).
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

BOB1 wrote:One idea: what I appreciate the most in Season 1 is how 100% consistent it is. It's like a perfect body, everything works perfectly with everything. There are other merits to appreciate, too. For example - single great scenes. But that's what I look for in Season 2. Practically all my favourite scenes of Twin Peaks are in Season 2. In Season 1 I look more for what is between the lines, between the scenes, the quality sum of all scenes taken one by one is much lower than the overall quality, so to say. And Episode 2 is more like hop-from-one-great-scene-to-another. Trademarks: rocks and bottles and the dream. Great scenes: the Horne dinner, Albert's arrival, Leland dancing. It's all good, very good, but for me not AS good as the top moments of Season 2, and not as fluent as my favourite Season 1 episodes.
Lame explanation... ;)
GREAT explanation (I actually started to type that before I even read "lame explanation" so I'm not just trying to boost your ego haha). And I agree completely about season 1 vs. season 2 and the various strengths. I almost view Season 1 as one entity, or rather two (not including the pilot): ep. 1-3 which have an unresolved feeling (alongside a lot of great comic moments) as everyone still reels from Laura's death and ep. 4-7 in which everyone gears up for their own private investigations into Laura's murders and/or intrigues that feel related to some bigger, unseen conspiracy in Twin Peaks. Ep. 4-7 (esp. 5-7) have great dramatic momentum. If FWWM is Twin Peaks-as-almost-pure-Lynch, I think of ep. 4-7 as Twin Peaks-as-almost-pure-Frost (after all, he wrote two of the episodes, directed one - and he's the ONLY person in all of Twin Peaks to both direct AND solo-write the same episode).
By the way, great thoughts about Lynch's early and late works. That'd be a great topic on its own (not that I have anything against off-topicking, I LOVE it!).
May do though I'll probably wait to do it for a few more days, as I'm already distracting myself to no end with dugpa (hell, who am I kidding - I already said I was signing off on another thread, and here I am again...). Btw, if you're into that concept of Lynch's evolution you may enjoy something I wrote this spring about the various trends in his career. Fair warning, it's kinda long (though not nearly so much as the one that went up the week before!), but hopefully worth reading in increments at least: http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... lynch.html.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Ugh, why did Twin Peaks have to come back? It's completely pulled me back into obsessive mode!

Great discussion here. I don't like to draw the line between the first and second season, especially through ep. 15... (People know I detest episode 16). Initially I think I was more excited about every second season episode because the first season set it up so damn well. The cast of characters were perfect, and I would day dream about what adventures they would get into, especially during that summer hiatus. But now of course on retrospect, I just consider the first season so expertly constructed. But those highs of early season two are hard to beat...

Cooper meeting the giant, Audrey and Ben's OEJs encounter, Leands singing, the Major telling his vision to Bobby, Audrey praying to Cooper, the train car murder.

Ben and Jerry dancing to Leland's singing, Audrey interrogates Batis, Cooper dictates to Diane about Audrey and Windom Earle, Just You and I aftermath. The ending with Audrey getting caught.

Albert's Gandhi speech to Truman, new baddie Jean Renault shooting up Audrey, Donna visiting Laura at the graveyard. The ending with Donna finding the diary.

The damn awesome beginning with Leland. Jean shooting Battis and then cradling Audrey... Creepy! Ben needing Cooper, Judge Royal Dano!! Cooper having the drink with Bookhouse Boy Truman to go over the Audrey plot.

Cooper rescues Audrey... Swoon. And Applause! If the reveal of the killer in the Palmer living room is the most anticipated need to know moment in the series with dumbfounded shock and terror, then the rescue of Audrey is the most satisfying crowd cheering moment of the series.

Episode six... Lynch as Gordon Cole! Everything in this episode is working. Josie's best episode. Maddy finally clicks as a character and not a Laura enigma. Ben and Cooper hugging it out. the King and I!! And the tantalizing ending keeping us on the edge of our seats waiting for a week to pass!

And of course episode seven. Yeah, the end is what gets talked about, but the whole thing is top notch.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Here are my favorite episodes directed by David Lynch:

1. Episode 29
2. Episode 14
3. Episode 8
4. Episode 2
5. Episode 9
6. Pilot ( I like the Pilot a lot but I still prefer the other Episodes listed above)

Other Episodes that I like are:

Episode 13 (directed by Leslie Linka Glatter)
Episode 7 (directed by Mark Frost)
Episode 16 (directed by Tim Hunter)

I hope that I didn't miss any of my favorite episodes but these are all that I can think of right now. So far I've watched Twin Peaks (the whole series) only four times and the last time is already two months ago. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes I can be a little forgetful about some stuff concernig the series and I don't remember all the things as good as most of the other members on this forum do. To me it seems that some of the hardcore TP fans on here know every single scene or character/actor that appeared in the show.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Audrey Horne wrote:Ugh, why did Twin Peaks have to come back? It's completely pulled me back into obsessive mode!

Great discussion here. I don't like to draw the line between the first and second season, especially through ep. 15... (People know I detest episode 16). Initially I think I was more excited about every second season episode because the first season set it up so damn well. The cast of characters were perfect, and I would day dream about what adventures they would get into, especially during that summer hiatus. But now of course on retrospect, I just consider the first season so expertly constructed. But those highs of early season two are hard to beat...

Cooper meeting the giant, Audrey and Ben's OEJs encounter, Leands singing, the Major telling his vision to Bobby, Audrey praying to Cooper, the train car murder.

Ben and Jerry dancing to Leland's singing, Audrey interrogates Batis, Cooper dictates to Diane about Audrey and Windom Earle, Just You and I aftermath. The ending with Audrey getting caught.

Albert's Gandhi speech to Truman, new baddie Jean Renault shooting up Audrey, Donna visiting Laura at the graveyard. The ending with Donna finding the diary.

The damn awesome beginning with Leland. Jean shooting Battis and then cradling Audrey... Creepy! Ben needing Cooper, Judge Royal Dano!! Cooper having the drink with Bookhouse Boy Truman to go over the Audrey plot.

Cooper rescues Audrey... Swoon. And Applause! If the reveal of the killer in the Palmer living room is the most anticipated need to know moment in the series with dumbfounded shock and terror, then the rescue of Audrey is the most satisfying crowd cheering moment of the series.

Episode six... Lynch as Gordon Cole! Everything in this episode is working. Josie's best episode. Maddy finally clicks as a character and not a Laura enigma. Ben and Cooper hugging it out. the King and I!! And the tantalizing ending keeping us on the edge of our seats waiting for a week to pass!

And of course episode seven. Yeah, the end is what gets talked about, but the whole thing is top notch.
Great list. As mentioned in another thread, I'm working on part 2 of my video series and finding it REALLY bogged down in ep. 9-12 not only because of all the great moments I want to honor (pretty much all the stuff you describe) but because so much is going on, period. ( including some stuff I'm not as fond of: I really like Michael Parks' performance and the rescue scene but find the OEJ subplot drags perhaps because it sidelines Audrey). I'm going to have to find a way to it it down, but it's hard.

Agreed about Ep. 14. The ending is spectacular but the whole thing is just superbly executed. I love the way Lynch brings pathos and style to even the least interesting subplots: Nadine and Bobby/Shelly/Leo have never been more compelling or atmospheric.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Mb3 wrote:Here are my favorite episodes directed by David Lynch:

1. Episode 29
2. Episode 14
3. Episode 8
4. Episode 2
5. Episode 9
6. Pilot ( I like the Pilot a lot but I still prefer the other Episodes listed above)

Other Episodes that I like are:

Episode 13 (directed by Leslie Linka Glatter)
Episode 7 (directed by Mark Frost)
Episode 16 (directed by Tim Hunter)

I hope that I didn't miss any of my favorite episodes but these are all that I can think of right now. So far I've watched Twin Peaks (the whole series) only four times and the last time is already two months ago. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes I can be a little forgetful about some stuff concernig the series and I don't remember all the things as good as most of the other members on this forum do. To me it seems that some of the hardcore TP fans on here know every single scene or character/actor that appeared in the show.
It's funny, before this year I had only seen the series twice (in a row) other than Ep. 2 and maybe certain moments/scenes. Not including ep. 17-28 which I'd only seen once! The film I had only seen once in five years. Then this past winter the floodgates opened. Total coincidence - I didn't even know the blu-ray was coming out (not to mention the as-yet-unannounced Missing Pieces or 2016 series!). It's like something was in the air; all it took was a used book (Full of Secrets) I got online to fill out a gift card.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

LostInTheMovies wrote: It's funny, before this year I had only seen the series twice (in a row) other than Ep. 2 and maybe certain moments/scenes. Not including ep. 17-28 which I'd only seen once! The film I had only seen once in five years. Then this past winter the floodgates opened. Total coincidence - I didn't even know the blu-ray was coming out (not to mention the as-yet-unannounced Missing Pieces or 2016 series!). It's like something was in the air; all it took was a used book (Full of Secrets) I got online to fill out a gift card.
I agree there must have been something in the air because for some reason I've never been as hooked to TP as after watching the whole Bluy-ray set when it was released at the end of July, I even took two weeks off from work in advance so I had the chance to watch it twice. I remember watching the Gold box set when it was released in 2007, I absolutely loved it but it still didn't feel the same way as this year. It wouldn't be bad if they'd start to air the new season next year instead of 2016 because I'm so eager to see how they'll continue the story. But the good thing is that we have a reason to be excited at all, remember a month ago most of us thought Lynch was done with filmmaking and now everything seems possible.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I never minded the OEJs plot line with Audrey being sidelined, but noticed a lot of people feel that way. It's only the first five episodes and she's active in two of them with fantastic scenes. Then we have episode three where it's more of oh shit she's being drugged, then episode four with the Battis shot scene (a great scene) and then the exciting rescue episode. Then she's reunited in episode six with two fantastic scenes with the regular crew... The Cooper drug fog, and then the reunited with Ben scene (tremendous fun). I guess I didn't mind because I figured most of the season after would be more of her in perfume counter mode and helping Cooper with more mysteries.

At the time, I actually thought the third and fourth episodes of the second season were the weakest... I thought Dick Tremayne didn't belong in the world, and the Andy hijinks with the sperm sample rolling under the couch seemed too slap sticky at the time. But now I consider the pilot through the finding of Maddy's body at the end of episode fifteen to be just perfect.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Agreed. I really like Moira Kelly in FWWM (and find it hard to imagine Boyle in that particular incarnation of Donna) and sometimes the character development in the series frustrates me (although there's a case to be made that's a good thing). But her work in Peaks is generally underrated. I also live her scenes with Audrey; the tension is palpable but it makes for a strangely appealing chemistry.
One interesting thing I've found is how the reaction to the characters of Donna & James has completely changed over the years. These two characters (and LFB as an actress) were extremely popular when the show was on, and were definitely part of the appeal of the show to many viewers. These days, they are both almost universally hated!! I wonder if its just that audiences have changed over the years? Or is it more because of backlash for the Evelyn story for James. And LFB's real life personality for Donna?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Favorite Lynch episodes:
1. Episode 29 (Season 2 Finale)
2. Episode 14 (The Killer's Reveal)
3. Episode 2 (The Red Room)
4. Episode 9 (Bob's Couch)
5. The Pilot
6. Episode 8 (Season 2 Premiere)
Its amazing to think that (if all goes as planned) there will be more Lynch-directed episodes of the new TP than the old!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Agreed about Ep. 14. The ending is spectacular but the whole thing is just superbly executed. I love the way Lynch brings pathos and style to even the least interesting subplots: Nadine and Bobby/Shelly/Leo have never been more compelling or atmospheric.
When Lynch directs Nadine and Mike in the diner, as well as the two of them in ep. 29, that silly subplot is imbued with full-spectrum TP magic. It's remarkable.
euro
Roadhouse Member

Post by euro »

Difficult, Episode 14, 29 and Episode 2 are my favorite episodes, order changes from time to time, all three episodes got their highlights.

1. Episode 14 (Lonely Souls)
1. Episode 29 (Beyond Life & Death)
1. Episode 2 (Zen, or the Skill to Catch a Killer)
------------
4. Episode 8 (May the Giant Be with You)
5. Episode 9 (Coma)
6. Pilot

Must be careful with the number of the Episodes, in Germany Episode 1 is the Pilot.

Favorite Episodes by other directors:

1) Episode 5 - Coopers Dream (Lesli Linka Glatter) - The Islanders in Great Northern, and The Cabin in the Woods
2) Episode 3 - Rest in Pain (Tina Rathborne) - The Funeral and the Introduction of the Bookhouse Boys
3) Episode 7 - The Last Evening (Mark Frost) - With many cliffhangers
4) Episode 13 - Demons (Lesli Linka Glatter) - Mike !!!
5) Episode 16 - Arbitrary Law (Tim Hunter) - Leland/Bob
6) Episode 12 - The Orchid's Curse (Graeme Clifford) - Cooper/Truman at OEJ
Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Ross wrote:One interesting thing I've found is how the reaction to the characters of Donna & James has completely changed over the years. These two characters (and LFB as an actress) were extremely popular when the show was on, and were definitely part of the appeal of the show to many viewers. These days, they are both almost universally hated!! I wonder if its just that audiences have changed over the years? Or is it more because of backlash for the Evelyn story for James. And LFB's real life personality for Donna?
I actually really enjoyed both characters and their unfurling relationship at first, and still do when i re-watch the series. I've always (secretly!) thought James is pretty cool too in that leather-jacket biker sorta way, and he obviously cared for Laura and I really sympathise with his character. Donna shares the latter part of that for me, plus i thought she was a great actress at such a young age. I think you're right that a lot of newcomers probably think "shit that's LFB... ewwww" etc.

It doesn't irritate me when people express their dislike of the characters and their relationship, i guess i can understand it, but i disagree wholeheartedly. I think they cry out to the young at heart that watch the show (and indeed the young). They're almost the audience personified within Twin Peaks itself, in a way. At least i like to think so.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Ross wrote:how the reaction to the characters of Donna & James has completely changed over the years. These two characters (and LFB as an actress) were extremely popular when the show was on, and were definitely part of the appeal of the show to many viewers. These days, they are both almost universally hated!!
yeah, it's interesting, isn't it! my observations are just the same.

hopesfall wrote:I've always (secretly!) thought James is pretty cool too in that leather-jacket biker sorta way, and he obviously cared for Laura and I really sympathise with his character.
Now that's one hell of a coming out! :shock: :wink:

back on topic --
Audrey Horne wrote:At the time, I actually thought the third and fourth episodes of the second season were the weakest...
Actually I still think so (from Pilot to Ep.16 of course). Not that they're bad but it's like, at this point not everything works so well. These are the only episodes where I feel that if I go to the bathroom or to the kitchen and come back in 5 minutes it's likely I won't miss much. On top of that, Ep.11 has probably the least convincing ending of all, Hank and the Asian man. For me that's as useless as Evelyn Marsh.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB