NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by ForKeeps »

mtwentz wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Laura Dern Spills Details About Twin Peaks Revival: “It’s Brave and Fiery”
“People have to tune in, because I am just so excited about it,” Dern, 49, teased to Vanity Fair at the Big Little Lies premiere in Hollywood Tuesday night. “It’s brave and fiery and deep, poignant and hilarious.”

Lynch, the famed filmmaker who created the original ABC series, which centered on the investigation into the death of a homecoming queen in a small lumber town in Washington, returns to direct the revival. Helming the Showtime series has also ended the auteur’s five-year hiatus from directing—another reason why Dern urges fans to see the show.

“You must always watch when David Lynch makes anything,” gushed Dern, who has collaborated with him on four projects now. “I believe it’s what keeps art going. It should be a prerequisite.”
Awesome but I would hardly call these 'leaked details'
True, but based on those comments, I think we can glean that she has a significant role. I don't think one could observe all of those feelings in only a handful of scenes. Or maybe Lynch screened it for her?
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Back to Twin Peaks with Julee Cruise
While the third season of "Twin Peaks" returns in May, we spent some time with Julee Cruise, the one that set the pace of the hypnotic series by David Lynch.

Let's start with the question that everyone asks: have you composed a song or are you playing a role in the new season of Twin Peaks?

I was called on to shoot the third season, but unfortunately I can't say more. It's not because I want to be mysterious, but it's just that I have no idea what this series will be. It's a veritable enigma that only David Lynch can solve and explain. What is certain is that you will be surprised. There are a lot of musicians who have participated in this project and David, who's got a lot of confidence in recent years with his instruments, has himself composed a lot of music for this season. He has total control from Showtime and he was happy to control everything.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

I thought that Lynch may have had a larger role in the music. Interesting to see that being the case, how that mixes with badalamenti and all the other musicians will be a real surprise.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

We'll have him singing a-la Crazy Clown Time :lol:
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

It worked very well in Inland Empire. Laura Dern showing up in Lodz with Lynch singing in that distorted voice in the background is one of my favourite moments in the film.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

^yes!

Although in this context it might be a bit like, why is Gordon Cole singing?
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Dalai Cooper wrote:^yes!

Although in this context it might be a bit like, why is Gordon Cole singing?
Oh there's plenty of precedent for that :twisted: Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I'm hoping the lion's share of the scoring was done by Badalamenti. Lynch is capable of doing some interesting things, but it's not on the level of Angelo. I'd argue that there was almost a triad (at least for me) of components that made TP the phenomenon it was/is-- the mystery/darkness, the humor, and Badalamenti's score. Don't fix what ain't broke.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

One of my favourite pieces of music from Twin Peaks is a Lynch composition, that being The Pink Room.

The collaboration worked before, it'll probably work again.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

djerdap wrote:One of my favourite pieces of music from Twin Peaks is a Lynch composition, that being The Pink Room.

The collaboration worked before, it'll probably work again.
The Pink Room is from Fire Walk With Me. I'm sure you know that, but clarifying, as I wasn't talking about that film. Regardless, I didn't say the collaboration won't work. It should be as it was then, overwhelmingly Badalamenti with some contributions by other artists, which I'm guessing is what we'll get.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I'm all in for Lynch providing music. The Pink Room is amazing.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Panapaok wrote:I'm all in for Lynch providing music. The Pink Room is amazing.
And the "Strange what love does" (is that the correct name?) from Inland Empire also. Didn't know that that was Lynche's work.

I would even go as far as to say that these contributions by Lynch are as good (although different) as the contributions by Badalamenti.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Lynch has a particular knack for matching music to the screen. It's going to be fantastic.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Hmmm, the Pink Room scene has always been my least favorite part of FWWM. Though I like the song and don't mind the scene being there. It's just overly long and the scene as a whole just doesn't appeal to me.

Dunno, I kinda like listening to Lynch's music, like The Big Dream for example, but scoring parts of the new series? I remain to be convinced.. Very curious to see what he'll pull off and what 'more confident with his instruments' means.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Soolsma wrote:Hmmm, the Pink Room scene has always been my least favorite part of FWWM.
It's one of my favourite Lynch scenes of all time. I think it's essential to the eclectic quilt that makes up Twin Peaks - in Seasons 1 and 2, we are frequently told about Laura's hard partying, but to boldly depict something we'd only imagined, and through Donna's perspective - it is very powerful.
Donna's POV shot when she looks around the room and the high kicks in of whatever it was that was slipped into one of the communal beer bottles. It always takes my breath away. I've on the odd occasion been under the influence of various substances in unfamiliar settings, and I think Lynch does a fabulous job of visualizing that experience.

A disclaimer - since just a couple years back, my exposure to the film was the DVD release with the flatter audio mixing. The Pink Room scene in particular was markedly different, in that the music was significantly lower in the mix. Which made it all the more perplexing that there were subtitles and the characters were shouting!
I'm very pleased to have the Lynch sound mix via the recent re-releases, however I'd kind of grown fond of just how weird the Pink Room scene was with the 3rd-party DVD sound mix.