NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by nonemoreblack »

That's a good way of describing it. More sinister is spot on.

With Twin Peaks we were looking at everything through Cooper's eyes of finding it a charming and quirky town, and everything with Laura was implied, so the audience didn't have to really think about just how messed up her situation was. FWWM forces you to deal with the horrifying truth. I'm wondering how Bad Cooper will be handled because they might go in a campy direction with him, in which case we might just be dealing with a darker sense of humour. Something like the Joker. I hope they make him scary though.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

nonemoreblack wrote:That's a good way of describing it. More sinister is spot on.

With Twin Peaks we were looking at everything through Cooper's eyes of finding it a charming and quirky town, and everything with Laura was implied, so the audience didn't have to really think about just how messed up her situation was. FWWM forces you to deal with the horrifying truth. I'm wondering how Bad Cooper will be handled because they might go in a campy direction with him, in which case we might just be dealing with a darker sense of humour. Something like the Joker. I hope they make him scary though.
If they handle dark Coop anything like they handled Leland, expect some campy goofiness. I appreciate it's been implied that dark Coop is different from "dark" Leland, but the point still applies. Considering the only glimpse of dark Coop (at the very end of the show) was violence and humor/madness, I think those traits are primary colours for the character. Leland was very much the same, caught up in songs and dancing and encroaching on looney bin territory. Initially the suggestion was that all of that was grief, but maybe that was his possession characterisation. Leland was still very much a scary character especially with Jacques murder and post-reveal - so I expect a dark Coop would be scary too.

In terms of all this darkness vs humour talk, whilst it's interesting to speculate I think Dead Dog got it when he said:
Dead Dog wrote:Yes, it's going to have some incredibly dark moments. Yes, it's going to have some really adorable and funny moments. We all know this. It's Twin Peaks. We seriously need something to chew on, we're getting kinda' goofy and redundant up in here. :D
Now Lynch has also described the show as one long movie. I think that pitches at what level in terms of tv-rating we should expect. FWWM was R-rated, i.e. it was the version of TP at the movies (esp. if you include the Missing Pieces which gave the ensemble/town folk angle and humour). Showtime can broadcast cursing, nudity and pretty much any level of gore - I think we can expect all of the above in the new season. I think it will be quite shocking at first, but it makes sense.

I'd be impressed with Frost/Lynch if they decided to play with expectations, and start the show off in a place we think they're punting it at classic network level and then had something happen in say the second episode, or late into the first which pushes the graphic content unexpectedly which then informs the viewer there's no safety net and also makes that event more alarming/shocking.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Panapaok wrote:So, it seems there won't be a S2 marathon, right? Just 2 episodes per weekend until May 21st.
Showtime had a free preview this weekend, along with all of the other movie channels = not sure this was for all cable and satellite subscribers, or just DirecTV (my provider). Anyway, Twin Peaks Season 2 was marathoning on one of the Showtime channels - I think it was called Showtime Too - last night and early this morning.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

indyit wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:That's a good way of describing it. More sinister is spot on.

If they handle dark Coop anything like they handled Leland, expect some campy goofiness. I appreciate it's been implied that dark Coop is different from "dark" Leland, but the point still applies. Considering the only glimpse of dark Coop (at the very end of the show) was violence and humor/madness, I think those traits are primary colours for the character. Leland was very much the same, caught up in songs and dancing and encroaching on looney bin territory. Initially the suggestion was that all of that was grief, but maybe that was his possession characterisation. Leland was still very much a scary character especially with Jacques murder and post-reveal - so I expect a dark Coop would be scary too.
Oh yeah, I agree. That's why I brought it up. I would be fine with him being like Leland. I just don't want it to get into Windom Earle levels of camp.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Panapaok »

Aerozhul wrote:
Panapaok wrote:So, it seems there won't be a S2 marathon, right? Just 2 episodes per weekend until May 21st.
Showtime had a free preview this weekend, along with all of the other movie channels = not sure this was for all cable and satellite subscribers, or just DirecTV (my provider). Anyway, Twin Peaks Season 2 was marathoning on one of the Showtime channels - I think it was called Showtime Too - last night and early this morning.
Oh ok. Thanks!
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Until Dugpa says differently, please do not discuss the Potemkine spoiler.

Thank you.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

nonemoreblack wrote:
indyit wrote:

Oh yeah, I agree. That's why I brought it up. I would be fine with him being like Leland. I just don't want it to get into Windom Earle levels of camp.
Picture Bad Coop in his long johns playing the flute...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Subreddit now contains today's spoilers. Be careful...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Considering all of Earle was sans Lynch (and Frost from the sounds of it, until nearer the end) I think we have little to worry about. Having said that, i think bad coop could still have some slapstick moments. When Frost was asked what was the funniest moment for him in the show he picked out Andy with the floorboard iirc.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

indyit wrote:Considering all of Earle was sans Lynch (and Frost from the sounds of it, until nearer the end) I think we have little to worry about. Having said that, i think bad coop could still have some slapstick moments. When Frost was asked what was the funniest moment for him in the show he picked out Andy with the floorboard iirc.
I mean, there's even humor in that final scene with Coop/Bob in the Mirror. It's both creepy and funny at the same time: that's part of Lynch's genius.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

If you think about it there's a weird kind of humor in Bob and bad Cooper (how's Annie?). Bob finds almost everything he does hilarious, it's a huge part of what makes him terrifying. Just like bad Coop finds asking how's Annie hilarious. I think the quirky charm and humor of the town which we can safely assume will very much be there based on the returning characters. I also believe the new episodes will build on the assumption that the audience was faced with the horrible truth as depicted in FWWM so i'd expect both but again from a different angle.
I'm not worried they'll go campy with Coop because the season is a completed piece of work. Things usually go campy when writers don't know what they're doing and need too much filler material.
Other than that i''m not sure what to expect from Cooper. For some reason I don't see him being his bad self throughout the season. It just doesn't make sense to me for him to not revert to his familiar self early enough for good Coop to be the version of him we'll end up seeing the most.
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

mtwentz wrote:
indyit wrote:Considering all of Earle was sans Lynch (and Frost from the sounds of it, until nearer the end) I think we have little to worry about. Having said that, i think bad coop could still have some slapstick moments. When Frost was asked what was the funniest moment for him in the show he picked out Andy with the floorboard iirc.
I mean, there's even humor in that final scene with Coop/Bob in the Mirror. It's both creepy and funny at the same time: that's part of Lynch's genius.
It's true. The fact that Coop finds it hilarious makes it even creepier. It gives complexity to what would usually be one-dimensional.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:Until Dugpa says differently, please do not discuss the Potemkine spoiler.

Thank you.
What is Potemkine?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Until Dugpa says differently, please do not discuss the Potemkine spoiler.

Thank you.
What is Potemkine?
The movie company making a Lynch documentary.

The new season is going to be Inland Peaks :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

mtwentz wrote:The movie company making a Lynch documentary.
Oh OK- if they are leaking spoilers, Lynch has got to be pretty pissed.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/