NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by mtwentz »

These are dark times and I think Twin Peaks will reflect that. What can be darker than a father raping and murdering his daughter? We shall see.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

mtwentz wrote:These are dark times and I think Twin Peaks will reflect that. What can be darker than a father raping and murdering his daughter? We shall see.
When has Lynch ever reflected what he doesn't want to? Let alone the present, really. And note he explored all that while having Leo's "new shoes" and Super Teen Nadine in the same episode. Or shot stuff like the 2x4 interlude with Pete, Josie and Dell Mibbler, or Andy and Lucy at the station, in the Missing Pieces of FWWM.

I mean, I have no doubt the new show will be as dark as FWWM or MD if not moreso. I welcome that because I love both. But I know Lynch always paints in both extreme dark and light, and he loves the humor and lightness of the show. I think anyone expecting the show to become super-grim and gritty at all times and 'do away with' slapstick or the silliness of people like Andy, Lucy, etc. is in for a disappointment.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

I expect it to be similar to early season 2 in tone, except with the freedom afforded subscription cable.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

MasterMastermind wrote:I expect it to be similar to early season 2 in tone, except with the freedom afforded subscription cable.
I sure hope so! I like early Season 2 even better than Season 1
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Qubism wrote:Revisiting this territory, there's a freshness to it, a lightness to it," says Maclachlan in the featurette....
I don't see his comments that way at all. I see him referring to his experience. We all know he was seriously burnt out on TP during its heyday. I'm positive he's responding to his own feelings on "being back" with the show.
We live inside a dream.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I think FWWM's will only be helped even more by the fact that more Twin Peaks material is coming out.

It's a great movie, but, when it looked like that was the closing statement on Peaks, I think it people naturally treated it as a bit of a punching bag ("Lynch didn't wrap up the cliffhanger!" "Why are we doing back!" "Can't believe he ended up only getting to make one movie and it was about this!"). So, I think just by taking that baggage off people will be able to treat it on it's own merits.

I know when I watched it .. like 7 years ago, whenever it was, immediately after finishing the series, I went from feeling like I got kicked in the groin ("How's Annie!?") and then immediately doused with water (FWWM being *mostly* a prequel). I'm excited to get back to re-watching it, as it's been a couple years (and my memories been a bit warped of how the film itself plays, due to watching it, and then a few years later the Missing Pieces, and then at some point the fan-cut with the deleted scenes back in).

And also I'm in the boat of the freshness/lightness just being about how comfortable it was getting back in. I'm sure there'll be plenty of humour, I just hope it's a bit more subtle. I love the funny character quirks/interactions, small-town vibes, Ben Horne and Jerry's cigar smoking, all of that. But the Andy stuff was just way way way too broad for me. Mind you, he's back, so, I assume we'll get some of that. At least Dick doesn't seem to be (if I remember the cast list right).
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

N. Needleman wrote:
mtwentz wrote:These are dark times and I think Twin Peaks will reflect that. What can be darker than a father raping and murdering his daughter? We shall see.
When has Lynch ever reflected what he doesn't want to? Let alone the present, really. And note he explored all that while having Leo's "new shoes" and Super Teen Nadine in the same episode. Or shot stuff like the 2x4 interlude with Pete, Josie and Dell Mibbler, or Andy and Lucy at the station, in the Missing Pieces of FWWM.

I mean, I have no doubt the new show will be as dark as FWWM or MD if not moreso. I welcome that because I love both. But I know Lynch always paints in both extreme dark and light, and he loves the humor and lightness of the show. I think anyone expecting the show to become super-grim and gritty at all times and 'do away with' slapstick or the silliness of people like Andy, Lucy, etc. is in for a disappointment.
I absolutely expect a lot of humor as well. I just meant that fro everything I've heard from when we had a spoiler thread, it seems the new series may be darker than the original.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Yes, it's going to have some incredibly dark moments. Yes, it's going to have some really adorable and funny moments. We all know this. It's Twin Peaks. We seriously need something to chew on, we're getting kinda' goofy and redundant up in here. :D
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Dead Dog wrote:Yes, it's going to have some incredibly dark moments. Yes, it's going to have some really adorable and funny moments. We all know this. It's Twin Peaks. We seriously need something to chew on, we're getting kinda' goofy and redundant up in here. :D
Maybe another teaser at the end of this month. Isn't Showtime going to air the second season?
The cow jumped over the moon.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

It will definitely be both dark and light, but what I mean is it might be jarring for fans of the regular show to see those dark moments at the FWWM level. It's quite funny how on Kyle MacLachlan's twitter the tweets he's sent are all about Cooper loving coffee and pie given how tragic the character is.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

nonemoreblack wrote:It will definitely be both dark and light, but what I mean is it might be jarring for fans of the regular show to see those dark moments at the FWWM level. It's quite funny how on Kyle MacLachlan's twitter the tweets he's sent are all about Cooper loving coffee and pie given how tragic the character is.
Yes.

There are some detective noir shows that area bleak, gloomy and dark.

Twin Peaks is that also, but the humor and the light contrasted with the darkness is what make it unique. This was also true of Blue Velvet, where light ultimately conquers (sort of).

So when some of us say the new series is going to be 'darker'- that doesn't necessarily mean that on balance it's going to feel darker than the original series. It just means the dark parts will likely be darker than the darkest parts of the original series.

It also may be true that the light parts, the humor, will be even lighter and more humorous than the series.

The truth is, we live in a world with a lot of darkness, and if we're truthful, that darkness lies within each one of us. The humor helps us embrace our dark side, and hopefully move beyond it and grow in the process.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

I know it's subjective, but I don't find anything in FWWM to be any darker than Maddie's murder in season two. So I don't really get the whole "but it's going to be soooo dark, like FWWM-level dark" mindset.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Dead Dog wrote:I know it's subjective, but I don't find anything in FWWM to be any darker than Maddie's murder in season two. So I don't really get the whole "but it's going to be soooo dark, like FWWM-level dark" mindset.
Maybe it's more the absence of the humor (except for the first 30 minutes which is very funny), that makes FWWM seem more dark than the series.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

So, it seems there won't be a S2 marathon, right? Just 2 episodes per weekend until May 21st.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
mine
Roadhouse Member

Post by mine »

Dead Dog wrote:I know it's subjective, but I don't find anything in FWWM to be any darker than Maddie's murder in season two. So I don't really get the whole "but it's going to be soooo dark, like FWWM-level dark" mindset.
I think it's a matter of POV. In a way the show, especially the part revolving around Laura's murder, is about how the town perceives Laura, her reality and consequentially itself. FWWM is the opposite in the sense that it's Laura's POV on her reality and the context in which it exists. So it makes sense that there would be instances where the 2 are virtually the same (like Maddie's death scene) in isolation but in context they're the opposite. From Laura's perspective her death and Maddie's are almost an inevitable outcome while from the town's perspective they're shocking events that came out of nowhere.
The general tone inevitably reflects that. The show's darkness comes from it being somewhere between quirky and sinister when leaning towards the later. The movie through Laura is defeatist in it's tone which, to me at least, gives it a completely different feel compared to the show.
I think that S3 through Cooper might be in the closest imaginable POV to Bob's. This would make it substantially darker, but not defeatist as FWWM was, but more like the show only vastly more sinister. The town (and it's surrounding) probably won't change much but they'd be seen from a different point of view than the original show and the movie were.