NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

the woods
Roadhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by the woods »

Dead Dog wrote:If the passage of time, entropy, and decomposition are themes, then maybe the new intro will reflect it. Buildings and monuments we know from the original series would now be older and more withered, etc.
yes, maybe some of the locations...it will most certainly be the case with many of the characters.
i often wonder if some of the new and younger cast will actually be playing some of those same characters, only in the past.
next step: rocket science!
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:I'm not very familiar with James Marshall's work outside of TP, and I don't want to sound bitchy, I think he's a very sweet guy, but at least in TP I don't think he gave such a great performance. If that was his best, then well...lol
He was actually pretty decent in a Rocky-esque boxing movie called Gladiator co-starring Cuba Gooding Jr. and Brian Dennehey. I hadn't seen it since it came out in the early 90s, then caught it again recently. Check it out if you like that type of movie.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Aerozhul wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:I'm not very familiar with James Marshall's work outside of TP, and I don't want to sound bitchy, I think he's a very sweet guy, but at least in TP I don't think he gave such a great performance. If that was his best, then well...lol
He was actually pretty decent in a Rocky-esque boxing movie called Gladiator co-starring Cuba Gooding Jr. and Brian Dennehey. I hadn't seen it since it came out in the early 90s, then caught it again recently. Check it out if you like that type of movie.
I remember Gladiator. I do like the director, Rowdy Herrington. He did a few gems in the 80's (Jack's Back, Road House) and others that didn't turn out so great (Striking Distance). I might give Gladiator a shot. Thanks for the tip.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I wonder what will have become of Ghostwood estates in Season 3. Since the entrance to the Black Lodge is in Ghostwood, I imagine that all attempts to develop that particular area met with a lot of unfortunate accidents.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

mtwentz wrote:I wonder what will have become of Ghostwood estates in Season 3. Since the entrance to the Black Lodge is in Ghostwood, I imagine that all attempts to develop that particular area met with a lot of unfortunate accidents.
I'm guessing that the whole endeavor failed. I'm sure we will still have the same sycamores and the scorched engine oil pit at least.
The cow jumped over the moon.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Pöllö wrote:
mtwentz wrote:I wonder what will have become of Ghostwood estates in Season 3. Since the entrance to the Black Lodge is in Ghostwood, I imagine that all attempts to develop that particular area met with a lot of unfortunate accidents.
I'm guessing that the whole endeavor failed. I'm sure we will still have the same sycamores and the scorched engine oil pit at least.
It would be an interesting if the endeavor failed because construction workers kept disappearing mysteriously, leading some to believe the area is 'cursed'.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

In TSHOTP it was revealed that after the bank explosion, Catherine sold everything, including Ghostwood, to Ben Horne.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

An entire episode of Ben Horne starring in some kind of "America's Most Haunted" show, please.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

I'd like to see the new season open up with a cherry pie eating contest with a bevy of town regulars participating- including the ' evil ' Dale ( I imagine he might even win ).
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

laughingpinecone wrote:My vote goes to /completely/ new. New theme, new visuals, establishing its unique identity which is separate from old show & movie.
Yes, I agree. A more ambient theme with more ambient visuals, perhaps. More in the vein of Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. Maybe not music as dark as Dark Mood Woods, but I could imagine an opening with the same kind of ambient touch instead of a more melodic theme. More of an anti-theme. Reeeally slooooow... I have a funny feeling a lot of the new series will take the effect of slow tempo to new hights.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I expect the opening of Twin Peaks to be updated, but similar to the original. To me, the original opening was about the unending flow of time, and the comfort that imparts. The waterfall keeps falling, the blades keep sharpening, the river keeps flowing. This notion very much ties in with what Lynch always said about Twin Peaks, before news of the revival: "The town is still there". Life in Twin Peaks has continued since we last saw it, and that waterfall is still flowing.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Of course, we all assume there will be an 'opening'. The Netflix show 'The OA' nixed the opening all together and left the credit sequence until the end.

There's no telling what they have planned for TP 2017.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:Of course, we all assume there will be an 'opening'. The Netflix show 'The OA' nixed the opening all together and left the credit sequence until the end.

So, no credits until the final episode? It has always been my dream that some show would only have one opening credits sequence at the beginning of the first episode and then one closing credits sequence at the very end of the final episode. I've always wanted to watch a show like a movie, where the final scene of one episode will flow directly into the first scene of the next episode without pause while binge watching on blu ray, but the credits are always getting in the way and breaking that movie like flow.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
mtwentz wrote:Of course, we all assume there will be an 'opening'. The Netflix show 'The OA' nixed the opening all together and left the credit sequence until the end.

So, no credits until the final episode? It has always been my dream that some show would only have one opening credits sequence at the beginning of the first episode and then one closing credits sequence at the very end of the final episode. I've always wanted to watch a show like a movie, where the final scene of one episode will flow directly into the first scene of the next episode without pause while binge watching on blu ray, but the credits are always getting in the way and breaking that movie like flow.
That may be a possibility, but I am not sure. Some of it might be governed by the Screen Actors Guild?

Some of these streaming services now have features that automatically bypass opening credits and ending credits, so the poor folks that work so hard on these productions hardly get anyone looking at their names anymore. However, with IMDB and the Internet, maybe credits rolling across the screen are just not as important as they used to be. When I want to know who worked on a film or show, I usually go straight to IMDB.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
LateReg wrote:

That may be a possibility, but I am not sure. Some of it might be governed by the Screen Actors Guild?

Some of these streaming services now have features that automatically bypass opening credits and ending credits, so the poor folks that work so hard on these productions hardly get anyone looking at their names anymore. However, with IMDB and the Internet, maybe credits rolling across the screen are just not as important as they used to be. When I want to know who worked on a film or show, I usually go straight to IMDB.
But is that how The OA is? Is that what you meant? Or did you mean credits only at the end of each episode?