NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by eyeboogers »

Jonah wrote:Not sure where else to put this. On Disc 3 of the Blu-Ray set, there's an unusual shot of the Double R diner, shot through a window, which seems to show Harry Dean Stanton - or someone who looks like him. I've never seen this shot in the show. Anyone know what it is?
Can you make a screencap (or take a photo of your TV screen)?
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

dronerstone wrote:Does anyone know if it is legally possible to secure against future "licensed" seasons or anything of that matter? I consider Twin Peaks Lynch's "baby" and don't want another second half of S2 to happen... :)
I believe that Lynch and Frost actually "own" "Twin Peaks", which is unusual for a TV series. They have the say-so. I never wanted the show to be rebooted, but we have it. A damn good reason would have to exist to do another season or follow-up, and it would have to be helmed all by Lynch again. Going backward to multiple directors or someone else wouldn't make sense.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I wish there was new Twin Peaks every Sunday
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I now actually have real life friends with whom I can talk about Twin Peaks :D
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Poltergeist27

Post by Poltergeist27 »

Episode 9 was the highest-rated episode since the premiere, with a 0.16 and 355,000 live viewers. Looks like Episode 8 built up anticipation for 9:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/s ... -2017.html

Good to see!
Poltergeist27

Post by Poltergeist27 »

Big new article from Indiewire featuring a new statement sent from Showtime about the ratings for Twin Peaks: The Return.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/twin-p ... 201853930/

"In a statement released to IndieWire, Showtime states “Twin Peaks” is averaging approximately 2 million viewers per episode across all platforms. That’s based on five weeks of data, and without all delayed viewing totals accounted for, but 32 percent of the “Twin Peaks” audience is coming from streaming (including both VOD and over-the-top services). That’s a higher total than any other Showtime series, including “Shameless,” “Billions,” “Homeland,” and “The Affair” — all of which average less than 20 percent of their vieweres from streaming."

If this is true, the streaming audience is higher than anticipated and bodes well when you combine U.S. viewership with all the people watching worldwide. Perhaps a good sign if Lynch wants to do more!
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Poltergeist27 wrote:If this is true, the streaming audience is higher than anticipated and bodes well when you combine U.S. viewership with all the people watching worldwide. Perhaps a good sign if Lynch wants to do more!
I hope so! I'm having a hard time staying interested in other shows in this new era of Twin Peaks, lol. I'm also really curious how "concrete" of an ending Season 3 will have.
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

That figure doesn't really seem to mean much, though. The fact that a higher PERCENTAGE of TP's viewers are streaming than those of other series doesn't mean that TP has a higher NUMBER of streamers. Theoretically, if only ten people are watching the show and five of them are streaming, streamers would make up a whopping 50% of TP's viewership....but the overall number of viewers would be disappointing. I'm having trouble seeing how this figure matters much.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:That figure doesn't really seem to mean much, though. The fact that a higher PERCENTAGE of TP's viewers are streaming than those of other series doesn't mean that TP has a higher NUMBER of streamers. Theoretically, if only ten people are watching the show and five of them are streaming, streamers would make up a whopping 50% of TP's viewership....but the overall number of viewers would be disappointing. I'm having trouble seeing how this figure matters much.
I think the point of the article was that the live viewing numbers are much less relevant in regards to Twin Peaks than any of their other shows. The article says there are an average of 2 million viewers per episode across all platforms, and a third of them are streaming it. As mentioned before, the important work has already been done as far as Showtime is concerned. Remember the day before and the day of the premiere they had their biggest subscriber spike in their history. The series has already paid off for them.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

HagbardCeline wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:That figure doesn't really seem to mean much, though. The fact that a higher PERCENTAGE of TP's viewers are streaming than those of other series doesn't mean that TP has a higher NUMBER of streamers. Theoretically, if only ten people are watching the show and five of them are streaming, streamers would make up a whopping 50% of TP's viewership....but the overall number of viewers would be disappointing. I'm having trouble seeing how this figure matters much.
I think the point of the article was that the live viewing numbers are much less relevant in regards to Twin Peaks than any of their other shows. The article says there are an average of 2 million viewers per episode across all platforms, and a third of them are streaming it. As mentioned before, the important work has already been done as far as Showtime is concerned. Remember the day before and the day of the premiere they had their biggest subscriber spike in their history. The series has already paid off for them.
Except we don't know what was the production budget for Twin Peaks and we don't know how long those new subscribers will stay on board...

I think only Showtime execs can say for sure whether the money they poured into this venture has been worth it. Remember, it's not only how much money they make directly off of Twin Peaks, but whether the 'buzz' from Twin Peaks brings on other directors/auteurs. And then there is also the issue of opportunity costs. Could the money spent on Twin Peaks have been spent on another project (s).

I think it's pretty hard for us as outsiders to state with any real confidence if this is going to be a winner for Showtime, and I think it is maybe too early in the game for Showtime itself to know whether they placed their bet on the right horse.

If we hear Showtime is funding another Lynch project, I think we'll have a pretty good indication that Showtime is happy with the results.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:
Except we don't know what was the production budget for Twin Peaks and we don't know how long those new subscribers will stay on board...

I think only Showtime execs can say for sure whether the money they poured into this venture has been worth it. Remember, it's not only how much money they make directly off of Twin Peaks, but whether the 'buzz' from Twin Peaks brings on other directors/auteurs. And then there is also the issue of opportunity costs. Could the money spent on Twin Peaks have been spent on another project (s).

I think it's pretty hard for us as outsiders to state with any real confidence if this is going to be a winner for Showtime, and I think it is maybe too early in the game for Showtime itself to know whether they placed their bet on the right horse.

If we hear Showtime is funding another Lynch project, I think we'll have a pretty good indication that Showtime is happy with the results.
I agree with everything you said. It's logical, as well as grounded, if not a little cautious as well. But at the same time, I think Showtime probably knows they've placed their money on the right horse. I've read at least three mid-year reports in the past few days that declare Twin Peaks the best show on TV, and each Part continues to get glowing reviews. The calculated risk Showtime seemed to take by airing Part 8 right before the two-week break got people talking and critics raving like few episodes in TV history ever have. Isn't that what Showtime would have wanted going in? Wouldn't they have known that this was going to be way out there at times, and the best they could hope for is constant buzz from a show that follows no rules? The Return not only follows no rules, but is so far beyond anything Showtime in particular has aired that I just can't see how they wanted it to do anything other than what it's doing. After having seen half of this wild thing, I can't imagine they would have wanted anything more.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but a few here have been wondering about Hollywood Reporter's Tim Goodman, who published that infamous article about how Legion beat the new Twin Peaks at its own game before it even aired. He finally published something about the new series. He admits that he miscalculated the show's ability to be weird by a large margin (while also stating that some of the weirdness is merely there as affectation), but also says that he finds it to be a chore to watch. Not surprising, I don't think, given that he seems to have had more misgivings about even the original series than most people and that he was down on the new series before it even aired, but at least he owned up to underestimating the weirdness.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bastar ... re-1019725
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

mtwentz wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:

Other Project of Lynch would be Twin Peaks season 4. If Lynch follow in showtime is to do a new season of twin peaks. I don´t see to Lynch doing other thing.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Here's an article I found interesting: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/twin-p ... 201853930/

I agree with MT Wentz that no one but Showtime can determine whether or not this is a "success" from their perspective. So many factors to consider. But this article does a nice job of pulling some hard nimbers together.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Here's an article I found interesting: http://www.indiewire.com/2017/07/twin-p ... 201853930/

I agree with MT Wentz that no one but Showtime can determine whether or not this is a "success" from their perspective. So many factors to consider. But this article does a nice job of pulling some hard nimbers together.
Discussed a bit further up on this very page :-)