NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Agent Earle »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
underthefan wrote: Yeah, I agree with that, it's not a neutral face. This is a haunted Cooper, not the effervescent Cooper of his youth. I had the same feeling looking at Sheryl in EW and in Between Two Worlds - she looks haunted as well...
Don't forget about MacLachlan's manners while sipping coffee in a promo video for some event that was made last September, I think - super creepy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIf3AhczxFI This one?
Yep, the very one! There hasn't been a more telling hint at what we can expect from Coop in the next season than this, as far as I'm concerned...
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Just adding - I'm loving the ominous music playing in the background and would love it if it turns out to be a part of the new season's score.
DonnieB
Roadhouse Member

Post by DonnieB »

WhiteLodge90 wrote:Just for some clarification I have long believed that episodes 1 and 2 would air then 3 and 4 were being streamed immediately after and then the following week 3 and 4 would air then we'd go single episodes 5-18 to finish it off.

My cousin was telling me today he read on reddit that episode 1 was all that would be airing but that it was in two parts and that 2 and 3 not 3 and 4 would be streamed after. So which one is it?
You. But also, 3 and 4 are not just being streamed, they will be available on-demand for us non cord-cutters too. This last point is one a ton of people seem to be missing.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Agent Earle wrote:
AXX°N N. wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Don't forget about MacLachlan's manners while sipping coffee in a promo video for some event that was made last September, I think - super creepy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIf3AhczxFI This one?
Yep, the very one! There hasn't been a more telling hint at what we can expect from Coop in the next season than this, as far as I'm concerned...
It's weird how interpretations of the same thing can be different. I find it neither creepy nor do I think it will be representative of Cooper in this season. It's a simple promo video.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I don't think any promotional material (so far) should be taken as representative or indicative of the content of the series.
I'll see you in the trees
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

Same here. It's Kyle drinking coffee. I don't think it's part of a wonderful plan to introduce the new Coop.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Rainwater wrote:I don't think any promotional material (so far) should be taken as representative or indicative of the content of the series.
The wardrobe from the EW photo shoot was lifted directly from the new series (and several of the cast featured could be seen wearing them in photos taken on location). Beyond that I would agree.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Now this is something that makes your heart jump ...
Lynch has given no thought whatsoever to audience reaction. “You concentrate on your work, try to do the best you can, and when it comes time, you release control, realizing it’s in the hands of fate.” Similarly, in these days of binging and streaming, he is O.K. with however you want to watch it. He even suggests, with a smile, that the best approach may be to view the parts out of order. “You know, the projectionist once in awhile would make a mistake and put reel four before reel two or something,” he says. “People still made sense of it.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/t-ma ... .html?_r=1
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

We've already discussed it pages ago.

He's being Lynch about art. He's not seriously suggesting we watch them out of order.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

You guys overthink this stuff. There was like 10 pages wondering if the "episode 0" thing was some super secret thing when it was clearly just a placeholder in the web code so they'd have a spot for parts 1&2 being aired together, and not just seperately. Kyle Maclachlan doing a coffee ad isn't a clue to anything. This is going to get even crazier when the actual show is out and everyone and their mother has some Fan Theory That Will Completely Change Everything about how the whole thing is some meaningless halluciation that only hints at The Real Story being events completely outside of the actual story they took the time to film and depict for no reason than for somebody to write an essay about and this characters t-shirt in this scene proves it all. I don't know if the tv show Lost just fried peoples brains or what. Not even Lost ended up being a big elaborate puzzle where everything was a clue hinting at some significant thing. No thing has been like that ever, because you'd have to be some kind of actual super genius who don't really exist outside fiction to map that all out and have it actually be interesting and not dumb or pointless in any way remotely. Somehow the internet, the sum of all mankinds knowledge, being available to more people than ever, seems to have just made conspiracy thinking more popular than ever. I'm pretty sure there's going to be weird and abstract things and metaphors in the twin peaks, but that you're going to be able to get what it's all about by just watching it and going by your feelings, not analyzing little background details for morse code cryptograms.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

When he's right he's right.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

We desperately need something real to talk about. 37 days...

(BTW, I just noticed that Netflix is calling their MST3K revival Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return.)
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

Driftwood wrote:You guys overthink this stuff. There was like 10 pages wondering if the "episode 0" thing was some super secret thing when it was clearly just a placeholder in the web code so they'd have a spot for parts 1&2 being aired together, and not just seperately. Kyle Maclachlan doing a coffee ad isn't a clue to anything. This is going to get even crazier when the actual show is out and everyone and their mother has some Fan Theory That Will Completely Change Everything about how the whole thing is some meaningless halluciation that only hints at The Real Story being events completely outside of the actual story they took the time to film and depict for no reason than for somebody to write an essay about and this characters t-shirt in this scene proves it all. I don't know if the tv show Lost just fried peoples brains or what. Not even Lost ended up being a big elaborate puzzle where everything was a clue hinting at some significant thing. No thing has been like that ever, because you'd have to be some kind of actual super genius who don't really exist outside fiction to map that all out and have it actually be interesting and not dumb or pointless in any way remotely. Somehow the internet, the sum of all mankinds knowledge, being available to more people than ever, seems to have just made conspiracy thinking more popular than ever. I'm pretty sure there's going to be weird and abstract things and metaphors in the twin peaks, but that you're going to be able to get what it's all about by just watching it and going by your feelings, not analyzing little background details for morse code cryptograms.
Sure, you say that now, but just wait until the final episode reveals that Cthulhu was behind everything.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

N. Needleman wrote:He's being Lynch about art. He's not seriously suggesting we watch them out of order.
I agree with the first sentence but not necessarily the second. I think there's a good chance he is seriously making that (playful) suggestion. Maybe this is an overly nice distinction, and to be clear I don't think he's shuffled the chapters or anything - I think the series will more or less follow the beats of frost's & his script, with whatever diversions and revisions along the way - but I wouldn't be surprised if once we've seen & absorbed the whole run a couple of times some of us might be inclined to Hopscotch the whole thing, and I think lynch is sincerely encouraging that.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Dalai Cooper wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:He's being Lynch about art. He's not seriously suggesting we watch them out of order.
I agree with the first sentence but not necessarily the second. I think there's a good chance he is seriously making that (playful) suggestion. Maybe this is an overly nice distinction, and to be clear I don't think he's shuffled the chapters or anything - I think the series will more or less follow the beats of frost's & his script, with whatever diversions and revisions along the way - but I wouldn't be surprised if once we've seen & absorbed the whole run a couple of times some of us might be inclined to Hopscotch the whole thing, and I think lynch is sincerely encouraging that.
I remember one of the (many) complaints about FWWM at the time was how "vignette"-like the film was. With several critics complaining that you could throw all the scenes into a blender, rearrange them, and the movie would still play the same. I'm thinking the new series may be like that in a way as well, especially if Lynch is encouraging that type of re-watch. (and I'm not personally saying that's a bad thing).
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/