NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by eyeboogers »

Dalai Cooper wrote:Ah, 23 isn't quite so bad, but the point stands I think.

And I agree 100% with your addendum, which is why it obviously should have been Audrey :wink:

*rehashes this for 500 more posts*
The rule is "half your age + 7 years" so Cooper and Annie, if she was 23, are/were totally within the margin of decency :-)
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Audrey Horne wrote:It was a stylalized show with its foot planted in old Hollywood aesthetics. Bogart and Bacall in film and real life. Audrey Hepburn and Peck, Bogart, Gary Cooper, Fred Astiare... I don't think it was operating on ducmenting the real life ramifications.
Exactly. The show was heavily stylized and not that interested in the external social ramifications. But I understand the complaints.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Despite Graham being younger than Fenn in real life, the character of Annie was older than Audrey. Not so hard.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:Despite Graham being younger than Fenn in real life, the character of Annie was older than Audrey. Not so hard.
Yes, I don't understand why people bring up the age of the actor or actress at all. Completely irrelevant.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I think my iPad is about to give up the ghost.... How the hell did I write stylalized?!! What is that?
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Audrey Horne wrote:I think my iPad is about to give up the ghost.... How the hell did I write stylalized?!! What is that?
Not gonna lie, I assumed you were a few sheets to the wind.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Oh I am... But that's besides the point.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

A 35 year old dating a 23 year old is considered inappropriate?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yeah, the age thing really doesn't matter in this world. Cooper's age is never stated as a plot point. All that mattered is he was a good guy, the hero of the piece... And they were going to give him the beautiful young girl love interest, who would also be one of the good guys. Audrey and Annie were essentially interchangeable. Lynch never perceived it as taboo... Let's not forget his insistent pairing of him with Shelly.

To keep it on point, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the new ingenues are paired with much older men in season three.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

N. Needleman wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:I think my iPad is about to give up the ghost.... How the hell did I write stylalized?!! What is that?
Not gonna lie, I assumed you were a few sheets to the wind.
Haha, I love the idioms this board teaches me. :)
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Audrey Horne wrote:Yeah, the age thing really doesn't matter in this world. Cooper's age is never stated as a plot point. All that mattered is he was a good guy, the hero of the piece... And they were going to give him the beautiful young girl love interest, who would also be one of the good guys. Audrey and Annie were essentially interchangeable. Lynch never perceived it as taboo... Let's not forget his insistent pairing of him with Shelly.

To keep it on point, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the new ingenues are paired with much older men in season three.
And STILL, Audrey was a minor and a high-school girl. Annie was a grown woman (albeit an ex nun). Hence, I wouldn't go as far as call them interchangeable...
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

's not like there's a scene like an opening statement where they say it would be wrong, like she replaced Josie (crook and best friend's girlfriend), or like Frost said that Cooper's fate was always to fall.
30 episodes and a movie don't have the time to spell everything out, but if a detail stays consistent between all additional materials and the show now, chances are it was known to everyone involved.

I guess this shift in views may derive from a more general interpretation of the show, whether we see it as eminently about good people doing good things (like taking the initiative to help a loved one with an investigation) or flawed people doing flawed things (like selling oneself to a prostitution ring because of an idealised view of investigations). We'll all see in a few weeks what balance season 3 will strike.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:A 35 year old dating a 23 year old is considered inappropriate?
Not at all, not in my opinion. One might wonder about the 35 year-old's maturity if they didn't know them well, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

What's the story behind this photo? Kyle looks so much like Cooper post-finale in this.

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:What's the story behind this photo? Kyle looks so much like Cooper post-finale in this.

Either he just killed someone or just finished an autopsy?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly