NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Gabriel »

DirkG wrote:Don't forget that Mark Frost wished for new viewers to at least watch something of the original. IMO if they watch nothing but the pilot, episode 2, episode 14 and episode 29 they would not only get up to speed but it would also work as a semi-coherent story.
Yes, episode 29 kind of feels like a restart and feels the most like the pilot since episode 14. It's indefinable, but there's a different feel to Lynch's episodes. There's something more raw and less cosy.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Snailhead wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
Dead Dog wrote: Expand on this please...
INLAND EMPIRE is a very spiritual and HOPE-Full film...
Indeed. It's a film with one of his happiest endings - 2 lost spirits helping each other escape purgatory. It's beautiful. Mulholland Drive is a deeply sorrowful story, but Inland Empire ends with Sue reaching some kind of enlightenment.
I get that and agree to a certain degree. But the vast majority of IE is a bleak, crystalline nightmare. While MD has more instances of humor and tenderness sprinkled throughout, despite its soul crushing final scene. My point is, when I watch IE I don't feel like I'm watching something spiritual. It seems more daemonic, like madness. It isn't until the final few minutes that any kind of positivity enters the equation for me. Don't really know what I'm getting at now, just rambling because I enjoy discussing Lynch's work.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

This whole discussion makes me wonder if 'Season 3:' will start out with a 'Previously on Twin Peaks...'
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

A thought crossed my mind that I'm sure people have mentioned already but the first episode will probably have a scene at the diner with Bobby and Shelly.. and Heidi being too busy jump-starting the old man.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Pretty sure I ran across Sky Ferreira at a midnight screening of The Hitcher the other day here in L.A. I restrained myself from approaching and attempting to interrogate her about the show like a psycho.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

N. Needleman wrote:Pretty sure I ran across Sky Ferreira at a midnight screening of The Hitcher the other day here in L.A. I restrained myself from approaching and attempting to interrogate her about the show like a psycho.
YOU DID :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP0icXlh800/
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

So we know for sure now that it is Denise, not Dennis that will be coming back :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Dead Dog wrote:
Snailhead wrote:
secretlettermkr wrote:
INLAND EMPIRE is a very spiritual and HOPE-Full film...
Indeed. It's a film with one of his happiest endings - 2 lost spirits helping each other escape purgatory. It's beautiful. Mulholland Drive is a deeply sorrowful story, but Inland Empire ends with Sue reaching some kind of enlightenment.
I get that and agree to a certain degree. But the vast majority of IE is a bleak, crystalline nightmare. While MD has more instances of humor and tenderness sprinkled throughout, despite its soul crushing final scene. My point is, when I watch IE I don't feel like I'm watching something spiritual. It seems more daemonic, like madness. It isn't until the final few minutes that any kind of positivity enters the equation for me. Don't really know what I'm getting at now, just rambling because I enjoy discussing Lynch's work.
You know, that's a pretty good point, however - who's to say daemonic madness cannot be spiritual ?
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Snailhead wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:
Snailhead wrote:
You know, that's a pretty good point, however - who's to say daemonic madness cannot be spiritual ?
I'd say, what else would it be if not spiritual?
I'll see you in the trees
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

DirkG wrote:Don't forget that Mark Frost wished for new viewers to at least watch something of the original. IMO if they watch nothing but the pilot, episode 2, episode 14 and episode 29 they would not only get up to speed but it would also work as a semi-coherent story.
I'd guess the Pilot, 14, 29 & FWWM will be the important ones. FWWM likely figures in in important ways.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Twink Peaks wrote:
Nice. I'm pretty psyched to see Duchovny directed by Lynch this time around.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Huh, that's right. It never occurred to me that Duchovny never actually got to work with Lynch in any of his episodes.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

ForKeeps wrote:Huh, that's right. It never occurred to me that Duchovny never actually got to work with Lynch in any of his episodes.
And I believe he's the only returning actor not to have been in a Lynch episode, correct?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Ross wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:Huh, that's right. It never occurred to me that Duchovny never actually got to work with Lynch in any of his episodes.
And I believe he's the only returning actor not to have been in a Lynch episode, correct?
Bellina Logan and Matt Battaglia also didn't appear in Lynch-directed episodes.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.