NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Major Briggs »

Ugh, that was tough news to swallow... Rest In Peace, Albert.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Goodbye, you sultan of sentiment.

Amazing talent. May he rest in peace.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

BEARisonFord wrote:
LateReg wrote:I think it's perfectly fine for some people to be okay with spoilers, but to say that it doesn't affect their experience seems absolutely nuts to me. The experience leading up to the series may be more exciting, and certainly the act of watching can be incredibly gratifying just to see it coming together, and you can certainly admire the artistry and atmosphere, but you're still going to lose that moment of shock and awe that comes with knowing nothing. It's undoubtedly a different experience, and the one thing you can count on losing is that feeling of not knowing what's going to happen next. That's how it should be, as it used to be before the internet made everything so easy to come by. That's how Twin Peaks should remain.
There's a lot of great points, many of which I agree with and subscribe to, but to suggest that there is one way that something should be experienced is a fairly dogmatic way of looking at things, especially in a creative medium. Of course spoilers affect someone's experience, but like I said, it's entirely subjective whether or not that is a negative thing.

I'm all for respecting dugpa's wishes, but I don't think it's fair to paint anyone interested in spoiler-ish material as someone who is getting a lesser experience from Twin Peaks, or anything else for that matter.
On the contrary, I was acknowledging that there are still ways to enjoy the series while knowing spoilers. I was only saying that someone who knows something up front will not be able to partake in the same level of surprise as others. So one just has to ask oneself if they are really okay with not having that element in place.

And, ok, you got me! Being a purist of sorts, I do admit that I believe the most proper way to experience this is to know only what Lynch wants you to know. That's some kind of auteur-theory-ish statement, of course, so now we can argue whether what the auteur wants vs. what the individual viewer wants are of equal importance. And along the same lines, we have to acknowledge the passing of time and how the internet has changed things. It's so much easier to be a sleuth nowadays, so maybe scouring the internet is the equivalent of visiting sets back in 1990 (that I can see as something exciting to do!), and maybe this development could be looked at as progress of sorts. But the purist in me once again has to say that back in the day, we wouldn't know as much as we do now, and if most creators would want to go back to that time where they didn't have to worry about so many spoilers leaking, then viewers should as well. Dogmatic or not, there's always good, better, best, and it's not always in the eye of the beholder. Movies/TV have a long history of being seen without knowing spoilers, where people go to painstaking lengths to prevent them. That should tell us something, in my opinion.

I guess it's just comes down to this: Would you really want to know who killed Laura Palmer before the original series aired? Now, I understand that no spoilers of that level have leaked for the new series, but every time you search for a spoiler you run that risk. So where I'm coming from with my dogma is precisely from that place. I don't believe that someone who knows a spoiler that large will have as great an experience with the new Twin Peaks. The little things I understand; it's knowing the bigger things that I think will alter a viewer's experience for the worse. I should have clarified that.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I am joining those who are less than happy with the spoiler thread being shut down. Particularly I don't like that the decision was made by those that already know more than the majority here, so it just feels like even more information hoarding than was already going on :-( I don't want to know too much before the season starts, but I thought there was a nice constructive balance in the spoiler thread and hope that it will be re-instated within a few days.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

The spoiler thread was abused for the most part, and an absolute mess. Baseless speculation, theories, and arguments about James and Donna took up one-third of it, in addition to a ton of unverified info being thrown out. Some fun stuff went down with the ship, but speaking from a moderator's standpoint, it was a nightmare. Perhaps a reminder to think before posting going forward, and to stay on topic.

Would also like to thank dugpa for having the patience of a saint.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

I am really saddened to hear about Miguel Ferrer. Albert was one of the characters that could always make me laugh, and this just makes me even more grateful for the revival and the chance for likes of Catherine and Miguel to have their swan song in the show they both loved so much.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Oh man, hope no one minds me posting this here, because I mentioned it before on one of the threads and it got moved, but I met Miguel at a Sci Fi convention in Oakland in '91 I think when he played for Billy Mumy's band, and I s he was the nicest guy in the world.

A real loss for our community.

I guess this explains why Miguel wasn't at the press conference.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

Brad D wrote:The spoiler thread was abused for the most part, and an absolute mess. Baseless speculation, theories, and arguments about James and Donna took up one-third of it, in addition to a ton of unverified info being thrown out. Some fun stuff went down with the ship, but speaking from a moderator's standpoint, it was a nightmare. Perhaps a reminder to think before posting going forward, and to stay on topic.

Would also like to thank dugpa for having the patience of a saint.
Although I can understand and empathize with how frustrating some of that stuff was, I personally wasn't phased by most of it. Usually it was fleeting, and I would often just scroll past it or take it at face value. That's the nature of having a forum like this with open-ended threads. I do think there's something to be said for the theory of more rules = more work though.

I will refrain from posting about this any more since this isn't really the forum for it and i'd rather be talking about Miguel Ferrer or Twin Peaks, but to that point, there's nowhere really to discuss any of this. Cheers.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

I'm not sure how banning spoilers is going to deter off-topic tangents, but okay...
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

As much as I loved the spoiler thread, I also really appreciated the constant effort from the people 'in the know' to filter the information so that the rest of us could play with intriguing tidbits without actually getting anything major spoiled. It still felt like keeping the mystery alive. And as time went by (with no additional developments from the source once filming wrapped), it must've been trickier and trickier. I appreciate the administration's choice, there's just 4 months left anyway.
As others have mentioned, I just hope it's only hidden and not deleted. /€0.02
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I hope there is a tribute for all the actors & actresses that have passed away in the final episode
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

This seems tonally inappropriate for the moment, but Nafessa Williams has tweeted again.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

BTW Lynch Turns 71 today
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

krishnanspace wrote:BTW Lynch Turns 71 today
And smokes like a chimney
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

N. Needleman wrote:This seems tonally inappropriate for the moment, but Nafessa Williams has tweeted again.
The #Newkids could be considered a spoiler?
"Your log and I are on the same page."