NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Rhodes »

Come on guys: He explicitely says that season 2 sucked, and EVERYBODY is convinced he means the opposite. This is what psychologists call "groupthink".

We are all excited, but no need to get sectarian. Remember Ockham's razor? When somebody says something sucks, he probably doesn't like it.

I'm sure that he did not mean that every single second of season two sucked. But I totally believe that he is not happy with the overall quality.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Tonight.
Attachments
DAMzo-6UQAASM6G.jpg
DAMzo-6UQAASM6G.jpg (247.01 KiB) Viewed 10373 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Tony Franciosa

Post by Tony Franciosa »

mtwentz wrote:
sylviecerise wrote:Maybe Lynch forgot that the first several episodes of S2 were separate from S1? The first two episodes of S2, which he directed, are some of the best. But when re-watching the whole show together, those first few episodes of S2 seems to fit more within S1.

Or maybe he just meant the experience of filming S2 sucked, with the constant network drama, etc. Who knows, it definitely seems he's just really cranky. :lol:
It's either just laziness on the part of Lynch, Robertson, Fenn, etc., fuzzy memories, or possibly they are speaking from the way they experienced it.

Season 2 has three distinct phases in my mind- the first 7 which are arguably as good or better than season 1, the next 8 or 9 which ranged from 'so-so' to outright bad, and the last 5 or 6, where the quality picked up again, but not quite to the heights to where the series had been before (with the possible exception of ep. 29).

Adding up the numbers, there are more 'good' episodes than there are 'bad' ones- it's just that some of the bad ones are truly godawful.

But overall, Season 2 was a great season of television.
And we're adding another 18 episodes/hours on top of that. If S3 is as good as hoped, the "bad" portion will be a blip in the overall story that will be easily passed through on the way to the end.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

With all the people talking about ratings and viewers dropping along the way, I happened to come across this New York Times article written in 1991. It's very interesting to read, especially because it relays the notion that the majority of viewers were apparently unimpressed with the killer's reveal at the time, calling it a cop-out and whatnot.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/05/05/arts/ ... wanted=all
Scullydive

Post by Scullydive »

I've never been able to stop myself from looking at spoilers for any series or film, but this might be the first if there are going to be spoilers tonight. We're just too close and Twin Peaks is too important.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Rhodes wrote:Come on guys: He explicitely says that season 2 sucked, and EVERYBODY is convinced he means the opposite. This is what psychologists call "groupthink".

We are all excited, but no need to get sectarian. Remember Ockham's razor? When somebody says something sucks, he probably doesn't like it.

I'm sure that he did not mean that every single second of season two sucked. But I totally believe that he is not happy with the overall quality.
Ockham's razor is not meant to be as reductive as possible for the sake of it, but to be as concise as possible -- it does not mean eliminating branches of potential meaning as a principle in itself, but that we should consider it of importance to identify which branches hold substance and working in their boundaries. It is not an argument for the cancellation of complexity.

When Lynch, or anyone, says S2 sucks, it means different things. I just read Reflections, and there was a loose consensus that S2 fell awry -- with myriad differences in how those speaking defined S2. MacLachlan made it a point to say 'the latter half' of season 2, someone made a point even to pinpoint 'the late half, before it got tighter,' etc. As for what Lynch means when he says it, I believe, with no evidence, that he's talking from a production standpoint. Overall, Season 2 fell awry on the level of collaboration, camraderie, artistic control, etc. It ended in such a compromised position, and existed in a harmed status for so long that I think overall he took it as a negative indictment against the whole of S2, as a single unit, and a period in time. It doesn't betray his previous anecdotes about how great he thought of individual moments of directors'/writers' contributions.

I find it shocking he's only very proud of the pilot, though, considering his consistent defense of FWWM, including recently.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

AXX°N N. wrote:I find it shocking he's only very proud of the pilot, though, considering his consistent defense of FWWM, including recently.
Well, he was asked specifically about "aspects of the series".
I'll see you in the trees
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:With all the people talking about ratings and viewers dropping along the way, I happened to come across this New York Times article written in 1991. It's very interesting to read, especially because it relays the notion that the majority of viewers were apparently unimpressed with the killer's reveal at the time, calling it a cop-out and whatnot.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/05/05/arts/ ... wanted=all
I do not understand why anyone would call the reveal on Nov. 10 a 'tease'.

I would definitely call the Second Season Premiere a tease though.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
EwanM
Roadhouse Member

Post by EwanM »

AXX°N N. wrote: I find it shocking he's only very proud of the pilot, though, considering his consistent defense of FWWM, including recently.
I assumed Lynch was talking about Twin Peaks the TV show. I'd be truly shocked if he wasn't still proud of FWWM.
Hockey Mask
RR Diner Member

Post by Hockey Mask »

Twink Peaks wrote:
I just love David Lynch. He's not the best interviewee but he has a great philosophy toward the creation process.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Interview with Art Director Cara Brower:

https://www.format.com/magazine/feature ... ara-brower
brett

Post by brett »

Jerry Horne wrote:Tonight.
Is this the same location that the Festival of Disruption was at?
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Jerry Horne wrote:Interview with Art Director Cara Brower:

https://www.format.com/magazine/feature ... ara-brower
Lynch put the cast and crew on a five year ban.
Huh?
I'll see you in the trees
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

AXX°N N. wrote:As for what Lynch means when he says it, I believe, with no evidence, that he's talking from a production standpoint.
I think he was referring to the catering.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

brett wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Tonight.
Is this the same location that the Festival of Disruption was at?
Yes.