NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DirkG
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by DirkG »

Audrey Horne wrote:
DirkG wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Yeah. Most of what happened in S2 won't even play out in The Return, not because it's been retconned but because it probably won't be important to the new series. It's 25 years later.
Exactly. With Windom Earle's soul annihilated in the BL and with all the players from the Mill/Ghostwood soap dead in the bank explosion (also remember that the original script had Catherine instead of Pete dying there so Frost/Peyton/Engels really went for that definitive angle) what continuity is there even left for them to f*ck up? They almost would have to attempt it in order to manage it.
Catherine instead of Pete in the bank explosion, not dying. Remember it was a cliffhanger... It is designed to put your characters in peril so you tune in next season. Typically when you kill off your main characters they get something finite and at the end... Maddy, Leland, Josie. The bank was just a more elaborate version of the mill fire or Cooper getting shot. The decision to change it to Pete may have been because his character is more loved. With Pete and Audrey as two of the fan favorites (after Cooper) production was probably just stacking the deck.
I've never been able to even consider Pete and Andrew surviving. They're facing the bomb directly when it goes off. Dell (the bank manager's) situation is only slightly more ambiguous, he takes a few steps before it explodes but my bet was always that he died too. Not that it mattered, he had no connection to the plot. Audrey is the truly ambiguous one, who had protection from the vault door and IMO it was a clear case that she was always supposed to survive. Unless we want to attribute the bomb with being completely worthless (and IMO that's not how it's portrayed in the exterior scene where it explodes), Andrew and Pete HAVE to die in that scene. To me it's definite.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

For some reason I really enjoy cropping avatars.
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_comp.jpg
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_comp.jpg (14.14 KiB) Viewed 8775 times
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_big.jpg
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_big.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 8830 times
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_bigger.jpg
21TWINPEAKS2-superJumbo_bigger.jpg (14.91 KiB) Viewed 8830 times
Last edited by Jasper on Thu May 18, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

laughingpinecone wrote:
dronerstone wrote:I mean who can't? LOL
Gordon's Italian voice actor. (still bitter about that bland dub)
I've said it before: dubs should be outlawed. Maybe animated films are an exception, though I can't stand them dubbed either.
I'll see you in the trees
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

DirkG wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:
DirkG wrote:
Exactly. With Windom Earle's soul annihilated in the BL and with all the players from the Mill/Ghostwood soap dead in the bank explosion (also remember that the original script had Catherine instead of Pete dying there so Frost/Peyton/Engels really went for that definitive angle) what continuity is there even left for them to f*ck up? They almost would have to attempt it in order to manage it.
Catherine instead of Pete in the bank explosion, not dying. Remember it was a cliffhanger... It is designed to put your characters in peril so you tune in next season. Typically when you kill off your main characters they get something finite and at the end... Maddy, Leland, Josie. The bank was just a more elaborate version of the mill fire or Cooper getting shot. The decision to change it to Pete may have been because his character is more loved. With Pete and Audrey as two of the fan favorites (after Cooper) production was probably just stacking the deck.
I've never been able to even consider Pete and Andrew surviving. They're facing the bomb directly when it goes off. Dell (the bank manager's) situation is only slightly more ambiguous, he takes a few steps before it explodes but my bet was always that he died too. Not that it mattered, he had no connection to the plot. Audrey is the truly ambiguous one, who had protection from the vault door and IMO it was a clear case that she was always supposed to survive. Unless we want to attribute the bomb with being completely worthless (and IMO that's not how it's portrayed in the exterior scene where it explodes), Andrew and Pete HAVE to die in that scene. To me it's definite.
That's fine - and a lot of people feel this way. And I guess the plan worked just like when some people thought Oh my god, Cooper is dead! after he had been shot. Personally, I think they just wrote the most dramatic cliffhangers they could without even thinking how to get their heroes out of a situation - and then deal with it in June when they started writing again (if they got picked up.) I really doubt Lynch would have signed off on leaving his friend Jack Nance without a job. And if Nance were still with us today, I bet from the Secret History we'd have found out he too miraculously survived. It's not logic, it's TV (tagline)
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rainwater wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:
I've said it before: dubs should be outlawed. Maybe animated films are an exception, though I can't stand them dubbed either.
Exactly! Talk about barbaric interference with creator's work and vision (in my mind, the dubbing's hardly any better than that other primitive practice of post-production intereference, a shameful staple of totalitarian regimes, i.e. censorship). That being said, the German dub of the original series was, overall, quite competently done - they even went to the trouble of finding the dubbers who had the similar voice color as the American actors, so when I first watched some of the German eps in the mid-90's on cable, I thought these were actually actors themselves speaking in German :)
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

Really fun illustrated Twin Peaks glossary from the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ssary.html
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Rainwater wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:
Not really fair to slow readers of all kinds, though, or people who leave the TV on while doing other stuff. Ideally, in today's world, we should have all options available... original voices with optional subtitles for you and me, localized audio track for my mother and my casual friends, dub AND translated subtitles for my grandmother.
AND the subs shouldn't be aligned to the left in a big honking black box that cuts off half the image, while we're at it. Sky's subtitles should be outlawed for sure, at least.
polishq wrote:Really fun illustrated Twin Peaks glossary from the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ssary.html
NYT is really promoting The Return to hell and back, huh! Good for them and good for us!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Lol. Go figure...
Have you ever gone back to watch the old “Twin Peaks”?

Lynch: Sure.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/twin-p ... 201818889/
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

It's Thursday. New trailer? Last week it was released on this day but not until like 3:30
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
mtwentz wrote:I would counter with this- a plothole is just as bad a continuity error in most people's minds.

Just go through the Packard Sawmill storyline. That one storyline is filled with so many plotholes, you actually realize that the Bob/Leland storyline is more believable. And yet, I've heard very few complaints over the years that they hate Twin Peaks because the whole Ben Horne land deal machinations made no sense at all.

(The most egregious error was that Tojamora would simply present a fake check and take Ben Horne's land away. Anyone who works in commercial real estate would find that plot point comedic. But there's also the two ledgers, the insurance policy, etc.)

And why does Ben tell Jerry they can get a better price for the land if the mill is shown as making a profit, since their intent all along is to keep the land and develop it?
I largely agree with you (I created a thread a few weeks ago about the vagaries and inconsistencies in the Packard Mill storyline!). However, I think some of the type of plotholes you're suggesting might only manifest themselves to professionals. Legal shows are often laughable to lawyers, the same goes for medical dramas and doctors, but the public at large has no clue how absurd the proceedings are. Whereas internal inconsistencies are much more noticeable to the public at large.

Btw, all those worried about DKL not staying true to the original characters should remember that DKL brought back many characters in Episode 29 who weren't in the script, including Log Lady, Ronette, Sylvia Horne, Jacoby, Sarah, Leland, Heidi...and of course expanding Laura's very limited scripted role & adding Maddy. He's always been about returning the show to its roots every time he directed. While I suspect (and hope) the new show will be revolutionary and unpredictable, I don't think anyone should worry about him not giving the existing characters their due.
Excellent points.

The one plot point of Packard Saw mill, however, that I do not think you have to be a legal or real estate expert to see the plot hole a mile wide, is the whole story of how Hank Jennings ended up in jail.

I mean, really, he set up a manslaughter charge to give himself an alibi? It makes no sense on so many levels and it was never really explained.

But that scene between Hank and Josie in the season finale is one of my favorite non-Lynch directed scenes of the entire series. And as long as you don't think too hard about what Hank is saying, it works really well. If you put any effort into it, a whole bunch of questions come up (i.e. couldn't he have come up with an alibi that didn't land him in jail, if he was busy killing an innocent homeless man, how was he able to push the button on Andrew, etc.).

BTW, would love to read your Packard Saw mill thread if I can find it?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mallard
RR Diner Member

Post by Mallard »

Panapaok wrote:Lol. Go figure...

Lol! After this and the "will they? won't they?" on a 4th season, I have to wonder if we can trust anything that comes out of his mouth right now.
Welcome...to the third...place.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Mallard wrote:

Lol! After this and the "will they? won't they?" on a 4th season, I have to wonder if we can trust anything out of his mouth right now.
I honestly don't see how it's a contradiction to what he said before.
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

Haha! But Lynch's answer may depend on how Lynch defines "old Twin Peaks."

- Could be The Pilot.
- Could be The Pilot and Season 1.
- Could be The Pilot, Season 1 and first half of Season 2.
- Could be Lynch answers questions based on how the wind is blowing (though the trees.)
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

Mace wrote:

Haha! But Lynch's answer may depend on how Lynch defines "old Twin Peaks."

- Could be The Pilot.
- Could be The Pilot and Season 1.
- Could be The Pilot, Season 1 and first half of Season 2.
- Could be Lynch answers questions based on how the wind is blowing (though the trees.)
...and the question is "ever". Maybe he watched it once in the 90's.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Cue a 10-page discussion. Could he be hinting at a parallel universe?