NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Agent327 »

Metamorphia wrote:Beautiful! Poor Sarah.

Still something a little off (or maybe just different) about some of the colour grading. The shot of HDS for one.
It's kind of gray, washed out and digital looking, whereas the first 2 seasons were very saturated colors with the obvious quality of film.

It almost couldn't be further from the old series aesthetically. This has the look of a documentary shot by a news channel, compared to the first series which was movie-esque.

Not exactly what I hoped for, but what I expected. The advantage of this look is that it will feel a lot more like a documentary, and could add a different kind of 'realism' to the show, which certainly will be interesting in the context of Twin Peaks. And after all, what is the point of this season, if not to add something new.

I expect them to do a "New Faces" type trailer too for balance, so it doesn't, more than anything, stand out as 'That old people show' in the eyes of unfamiliar viewers.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think the colors in the stuff with Ed, Carl, Andy, Hawk, etc. are actually beautiful.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Agent327 wrote:

Still something a little off (or maybe just different) about some of the colour grading. The shot of HDS for one.
It's kind of gray, washed out and digital looking, whereas the first 2 seasons were very saturated colors with the obvious quality of film.

It almost couldn't be further from the old series aesthetically. This has the look of a documentary shot by a news channel, compared to the first series which was movie-esque.

Not exactly what I hoped for, but what I expected. The advantage of this look is that it will feel a lot more like a documentary, and could add a different kind of 'realism' to the show, which certainly will be interesting in the context of Twin Peaks. And after all, what is the point of this season, if not to add something new.
Yeah, I agree with that. It definitely doesn't look like the original, but I take that as a good thing because it gives an opportunity for TPTR to visually establish itself as its own entity, and it doesn't scream "nostalgia cash grab" like, say, Fuller House...
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Agent327 wrote:
I expect them to do a "New Faces" type trailer too for balance, so it doesn't, more than anything, stand out as 'That old people show' in the eyes of unfamiliar viewers.
Same here, then again Showtime did release a "characters of Twin Peaks vol.1" video for their reruns and never followed up, so. Who knows. :roll:
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

John Justice Wheeler wrote: On a scene by scene basis I think it often works brilliantly; I just don't like it as a whole.
Ditto. What I enjoy is so good that the ultimate disappointment is made worse.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Agent327 wrote: It almost couldn't be further from the old series aesthetically. This has the look of a documentary shot by a news channel, compared to the first series which was movie-esque.
I'd still wait and see. I'm not sure what to expect and the trailers don't show anything significant. It looks very quickly graded to me and is reminiscent of the trailer with Lynch and the doughnut.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Agent327 wrote:

It's an unusual choice because it's very easy to get digital to look like film now (lots of times it's very hard to tell apart an Arri Amira/Alexa from 35mm). Some scenes look nice though, it's just that one that I don't like. Same with the RR exterior from the last promo piece.

You'd think it's all graded at this point though...
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Jonah wrote:Looks amazing - dark and edgy. Cooper looks possessed. Big Ed looks depressed. Sarah looks depressed too. Andy looks scared. And Hawk seems curious. And Harry Dean Stanton seems very upset. No one looks happy! (Next trailer will probably feature a perky Lucy.)
And the bottom right hand corner of the Cooper shot. :o Who could that be? :lol:
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

So do y'all think Lynch is editing these? The promos with new footage just nail his aesthetic so much better than the promos for the rerun or the Darkness of Futures Past rerun do.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Shloogorgh wrote:I wonder if Carl Rodd is looking up at power lines and noticing an electrical disturbance
Interesting theory. If true that really gives me 'Serial Experiments Lain' vibes.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

I highly doubt the above theory. It's pretty obvious he's looking up to a person walking into his POV. YMMV, though.
We live inside a dream.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

Has anyone heard this before?
After the season premiere ends, Showtime subscribers will be able to access the third and fourth episodes in the series via the channel's Showtime Anytime service and Showtime On Demand. The network will continue posting two new episodes after each official airing (i.e., when episodes three and four air, subscribers can access five and six).
From Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/videos/s ... er-w480715
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Posted by crew member Mike Malone:
Attachments
C_BtOWSVYAAAp7Y.jpg
C_BtOWSVYAAAp7Y.jpg (302.76 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

The Jumping Man wrote:Has anyone heard this before?
After the season premiere ends, Showtime subscribers will be able to access the third and fourth episodes in the series via the channel's Showtime Anytime service and Showtime On Demand. The network will continue posting two new episodes after each official airing (i.e., when episodes three and four air, subscribers can access five and six).
From Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/videos/s ... er-w480715
I can't imagine that's right.
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

It seems like quite a leap.