NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by underthefan »

I am in total agreement with previous posts. I consider myself primarily Lynch and FWWM fan, and TP fan secondarily, so I personally would prefer a solid limited season that provides at least some kind of satisfactory closure, and then another film or TV show by Lynch or Lynch and Frost. Of course, it doesn't matter what we fans want, but what Lynch/Frost are interested in and willing to do, but I'd rather have them going out on a high note, rather than dragging it on and once again the show losing its strength and effectiveness. We all know it happened before.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm not sure what to expect. I think I do love "Twin Peaks" first, David Lynch second. And I loved the show more than FWWM. But, having said that, I loved the Lynch episodes of "Twin Peaks" more than the non-Lynch episodes. So...I'm not sure. I am hoping the return will be more "TP" than pure Lynch (aka "Inland Empire" - and this is from someone who did like that film and saw it twice in the cinema, including taking a six-hour return train journey to see it the first time! Though I haven't rewatched it since on DVD, whereas I rewatch "TP" regularly). I tend to think Frost kept Lynch in check more on the show, but having said that Episodes 14 & 29 are probably my favourite. I don't mind if it's more in line with Episode 29 or FWWM, but not sure I'd love it to be more like "Lost Highway" or "Inland Empire". I think what I want is cozy TP balanced with Lynch, a mixture of both, which I think is what made "TP" so strong when it did work - the cozy intercut with the disturbing and strange, though I have a feeling the new series won't really be like the old show, given the huge cast of characters and some of the regulars complaining about smaller roles. I'm expecting a series of tangents, viginettes, pure Lynch madness, and maybe only a little of the flavour of the old show - i.e. cast cameos, occasional brief visits to the town. Will be pleasantly surprised if there's more than that!
Last edited by Jonah on Thu May 04, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

underthefan wrote:Of course, it doesn't matter what we fans want, but what Lynch/Frost are interested in and willing to do.
Very true. And so I'm tampering my expectations and remaining open to whatever their vision is so as not to be disappointed that it's not what I want. And, while I know what I would want (I've written a possible Season 3 in my head many times in the last twenty years!), I'll be open to whatever they want to show us. It's their story after all.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Agent Earle wrote:Look, the world with "bad" or, let's say, not optimal TP is waaay better than the one with no TP at all's all I'm sayin'.
Couldn't disagree more.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

New article from The Guardian today - "Everything we know about the new season of Twin Peaks so far."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... avid-lynch

Not really anything we don't already know - but a nice summary (a couple of mistakes - not sure Robert Forster is confirmed as replacing Truman?) and lovely photos.

Given what we're discussing, there's an apt quote from Lynch: “People expect things and hopefully their expectations are met when they see the thing,” he said.

Oh, and this - "However, Sherilyn Fenn let slip that Lynch had told her he would do more, if the reception was big enough." - though not sure how reliable that is.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

I'm in favour of season 4 and 5....... IF AND ONLY IF they arise from the same optimal conditions as season 3:
- Lynch himself wanting it to continue, having ideas and being inspired
- Lynch writing and directing ALL episodes of season 4 and 5.
- Lynch being involved with the cutting, the music and all other aspects of the show.

If Lynch is not completely involved in every second of season 4/5, I want it to end with season 3. Moreover, I think I prefer Lynch making more movies (and/or new series) over him making season 4/5 of TP.

Someone said it nicely earlier: "More than anything, season 3 is about the return of Lynch after Inland Empire". This is maybe not objectively true, but certainly how it feels for me personally.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

I will also wait what the new season will bring us. I think Lynch told us that he would be open to more TP. And if Lynch and Frost have other good ideas for new seasons, why not? The world of TP is so big and complex that I can easily see that. But let's wait for the new season.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I think Lynch's reasoning to bring back Twin Peaks wasn't for it's prescience and prestige in it's reputation today, nor even for the fans, but for pure fulfillment. Lynch dearly loves Twin Peaks, and it's people and feelings. Mädchen Amick reported how he was moved to tears on set. I don't think he, at least, will do anything further with Twin Peaks that doesn't resonate with him deeply in some way.

I'm feeling like Lynch is working with so many of the actors from his past projects over the years because he knows it may be the last 'major' project he makes, of this career-defining magnitude. Twin Peaks: The Return is a very palpable summation in his body of work, at least in my eyes. He's got The Art Life for his young daughter to know, he's solidifying his own story in Life & Work.

There's something very final about all this. Maybe it's just me, I don't know. Like some of you have said, I don't want Twin Peaks continuing beyond Season 3 for the pure reason of it 'existing', and I don't believe it will happen. If it does, I think it will be something like Darkened Room; something more abstracted than we can recognize. But this season is enough in my eyes.

gettin emotional
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Rhodes wrote:I'm in favour of season 4 and 5....... IF AND ONLY IF they arise from the same optimal conditions as season 3:
- Lynch being involved with the cutting, the music and all other aspects of the show.

If Lynch is not completely involved in every second of season 4/5, I want it to end with season 3. Moreover, I think I prefer Lynch making more movies (and/or new series) over him making season 4/5 of TP.

Someone said it nicely earlier: "More than anything, season 3 is about the return of Lynch after Inland Empire". This is maybe not objectively true, but certainly how it feels for me personally.
I think you forgot Mark Frost in there somewhere, he would also been needed to want to do this and write with DL.
Bloodflood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bloodflood »

Jonah wrote:
Oh, and this - "However, Sherilyn Fenn let slip that Lynch had told her he would do more, if the reception was big enough." - though not sure how reliable that is.
IIRC I remember her saying this on a video interview and on a podcast, but I'm not sure.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

A few posters have added a necessary clarification to what I've previously written. I want the next Lynch project to be whatever resonates with him most. If it was another season of Twin Peaks, three or four years down the road, then that's great! As we all should by now know, he doesn't do anything that he doesn't absolutely want to be doing. But as others have said, this feels final. I don't know how Lynch thinks about his own legacy, but 18 hours of the thing you're most famous for doing, with complete creative control and freedom to do it, certainly seems like the type of ambitious project that Lynch could very well know could be his magnum opus, perhaps even by design. But like I said, I don't know how he thinks in this regard. But yeah, long story short, whatever Lynch's heart is completely into, that's what I want to see next. I hope this ignites the flame for another feature film within the next couple years, personally.
sp.agent.dalecooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by sp.agent.dalecooper »

Metamorphia wrote:If Twin Peaks became an ongoing thing (a literal soap opera, running season after season every year) it would totally devalue everything good about it. Let's enjoy S3 and leave it there.
Would and could are two entirely different words and I'm not sure any one specific person not names DKL or MF gets to be the arbiter of if future returns could or had caused devaluing of their story and their world.

Nor has anyone in this thread offered up a desire for a never ending soap opera type of run, as you described to make your speculative point presented as fact.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Wow. What an avalanche of close-mindedness I've set off...
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it seems that many people want a definitive ending to Twin Peaks with Season 3. I don't know what everyone's definition of "ending" is, but I fully expect that after I watch the final episodes in September, I will have many questions that will remain unanswered. Maybe not as many as I did after the S2 finale, but certainly Lynch won't wrap it up with a nice bow.

Essentially what I'm saying is that I think the last episodes will leave it somewhat open-ended....which could lead to more or maybe not. I just hope people are tempering their expectations to having a very final ending, as that's not how Lynch has ever operated.

And I'm sure most of you already know this......
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rhodes wrote:I'm in favour of season 4 and 5....... IF AND ONLY IF they arise from the same optimal conditions as season 3:

Maybe Lynch should take on multiple acting parts as well, or, how about that, embody every single character of his creation?