NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

John Justice Wheeler
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by John Justice Wheeler »

beano wrote:as the premiere draws closer and my excitement reaches pathological levels, my friends and loved ones have increasingly been voicing concerns that i may go off the deep end if the show "isnt good." is this happening to anyone else?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Honestly, I think I have a pretty reasonable view of this considering that I'm not a big fan of later Lynch (post-Lost Highway). So I expect a lot from him, especially returning to this terrain, but my expectations are also already tempered accordingly.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Hi all. Back on the board after a long time! Been catching up on a lot of stuff I've missed. Can't wait for the new show. After following the spoilers a couple of years back, I've avoided looking at anything until now. The teaser trailer was excellent!
Last edited by Jonah on Mon May 01, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Rainwater wrote:Interesting. I'm of the opposite mindset - I wish I'd left more of a gap between the old and new series. Ideally, I would've liked to finish the last rewatch back in the autumn. I feel like it's somehow inappropriate to hop straight from 25 years ago into the new story, particularly because I expect some major differences in tone and content. I think it'll be quite jarring.

Then again, I'm speaking as a relatively new viewer. I guess those of you of the 'original' bunch have felt the passage of time quite well, without the need for, uh, simulation..
The finale aired when I was 10 years old and I still can't quite believe this is happening in 20 days, so yeah, I'm good. ;) The distance is built-in no matter how times I see it - and I am very acquainted with MD, LH, IE, etc.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
h2nho
Roadhouse Member

Post by h2nho »

Just saw this randomly: If you go to the AV Club'a homepage, you see "special coverage" on all the Twin Peaks articles they've posted sponsored by Showtime. Another example of targeted advertising.
happyrat98

Post by happyrat98 »

Does anybody else think it's possible that Laura Palmer could be resurrected in some way? I know this sounds incredibly bizarre and stupid, but what possible role would Sheryl Lee portray? Would Laura really appear 25 years older still trapped as a spirit in the Black Lodge? I feel like something is going to happen involving the lodge, the real Cooper, a rescue, and Laura Palmer and that it will be totally unexpected and crazy. I also know that Lynch would not invite Sheryl Lee back to scream like a crazy person in the Lodge for a few episodes.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

Tidbit from New York City: Just this evening saw my first city bus with a huge ad for the new season plastered over its entire side, chugging up Madison Avenue. This is really happening, isn't it?
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

happyrat98 wrote:Does anybody else think it's possible that Laura Palmer could be resurrected in some way? I know this sounds incredibly bizarre and stupid, but what possible role would Sheryl Lee portray? Would Laura really appear 25 years older still trapped as a spirit in the Black Lodge? I feel like something is going to happen involving the lodge, the real Cooper, a rescue, and Laura Palmer and that it will be totally unexpected and crazy. I also know that Lynch would not invite Sheryl Lee back to scream like a crazy person in the Lodge for a few episodes.
I've seen others mention (and I hypothesized myself) the possibility that it was Laura's doppelganger who died that night, and the "good Laura" remained trapped but freed via the Lodge. Going further from there, if that was indeed the case she couldn't just come back and went to lead another life elsewhere. Cooper finally reemerges 25 years later & journeys back to Twin Peaks with her. So in a sense she'd be "resurrected" from the point of view of those who knew her.

Probably not entirely on the nose because i'm not a master of the mythology, so if it sounds silly sorry! lol
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Eater of Iguanas wrote:Tidbit from New York City: Just this evening saw my first city bus with a huge ad for the new season plastered over its entire side, chugging up Madison Avenue. This is really happening, isn't it?
Same! Saw it in a subway station tonight for the first time.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Jonah wrote:Hi all. Back on the board after a long time! Been catching up on a lot of stuff I've missed. Can't wait for the new show. After following the spoilers a couple of years back, I've avoided looking at anything until now. The teaser trailer was excellent!
Were you trapped in the Lodge? I sure hope it wasn't the Black one... :)
Fashion Suicide
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fashion Suicide »

happyrat98 wrote:Does anybody else think it's possible that Laura Palmer could be resurrected in some way? I know this sounds incredibly bizarre and stupid, but what possible role would Sheryl Lee portray? Would Laura really appear 25 years older still trapped as a spirit in the Black Lodge? I feel like something is going to happen involving the lodge, the real Cooper, a rescue, and Laura Palmer and that it will be totally unexpected and crazy. I also know that Lynch would not invite Sheryl Lee back to scream like a crazy person in the Lodge for a few episodes.
Judy, maybe? But i'm not gonna talk about Judy. In fact, we're not gonna talk about Judy at all, we're gonna keep her out of it.
Robot Butler
RR Diner Member

Post by Robot Butler »

It's entirely possible she might serve as a greek chorus to Dale.

Oldest trick in the book.
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

i am looking forward to being surprised by lots of new ideas on may 21, but i will be incredibly surprised if laura palmer isn't in the new episodes and will be even more so if sheryl lee isn't (at the very least) that character.
next step: rocket science!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

At this point I am ruling nothing out re: Laura and however many characters Sheryl may be playing.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Tony Franciosa

Post by Tony Franciosa »

I've put a lot of stock in Laura Palmer somehow being still alive/resurrected in this season. Not sure how it's going to play out, but I can't wait to see it happen.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Tony Franciosa wrote:I've put a lot of stock in Laura Palmer somehow being still alive/resurrected in this season. Not sure how it's going to play out, but I can't wait to see it happen.
It's also possible that Laura comes back as a 'ghost' (in Cooper's imagination). Leland could come back this way as well.

In the series 'Bloodline', that's how they kept Ben Mendolsohn on the show- through imagined conversations he had with his brother and through flashbacks.

And Josh Charles was brought back for the final episode of The Good Wife through imagined conversations with the main character.

There are as many ways Sheryl Lee can be brought back as Laura as Lynch and Frost could imagine.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly